designerama. flo is bored.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• designerama. flo is bored.

as you might have noticed, i'm a communication guy and i'm particularly interested in brand value, corporate identity, logo design and typefaces. i know i am a bit young to mess with professional guys but i'm constantly bored with the things i have to do at uni project works. so yeah ... i thought i just play around a bit on sqtalks corporate id.

this should not be a competitor to the current design or so, i'm just doing this for fun. if you have any feedback, though, i'd be pleased if you comment on my stuff. it would be really helpful!

so well, i thought about the sqtalk logo, typeface and design. i typed it abut 100 times in different fonts and with different capitalization (SQTALK, sqtalk, SQtalk, SQTalk, ...) and found out that the name SQTalk is pretty challenging as the Q goes well with the talk if you put it in italics but the s won't work that good. Three capitals are a mess because it totally destroys the natural fontflow.

I wasn't really satisfied with the current typeface, as Eurostile is the Virgin Atlantic font and it somehow looks a bit unnatural so I tried to come up with something different.

I brainstormed on what brand values SQTalk should express and I thought the first thing one should associate with SQTalk is obviously SQ and exclusiveness. So it was clear to me that a generic standard font won't work; I also dropped all the too fancy fonts and those who are too web 2.0 (rounded edges simply don't look classy).

After some trying, I ended up with the current KrisFlyer font which worked pretty well. The problem was that the capitals werent that good. So I played around a bit and came up with this:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2345/sqtalk1bs3.jpg
    (sqtalk / version1.1 / florian wagner / bgc)

Imo, this logo would look quite classy but also a bit boring and generic. I particularly liked the wording of talk with a small t. It has a nice flow.

I triend modifying the SQ fontface and I came up with my second version of the logo:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3301/sqtalk2iu1.jpg
    (sqtalk / version1.2 / florian wagner / bgc)

As already said, the Q and the talk have a great synergy, especially if the Q-tail is a bit stretched. One could play around a bit with it but the s is indeed annoying when the Q is so predominant.

This approach got stuck in my head and I tried something completely different: abadon serif fonts as they look too old; abandon the KrisFlyer font (Optimus, iirc!) and try something else:

there is a rather radical approach to designing a stylish logo: abandoing mainstream and using a font that's so radical in its forms that it's either a total go if it fits or a complete waste of time if it doesn't. I'm talking about using grotesque fonts. I played around a bit with Futura but the thickness of Futura book wasn't what I was searching for and the thin variant was too thin. So I went for it's neighbour Century Gothic and modified it to look like Futura, just between Futura Thin and Futura Book. The result is really really promising and I actually really like it. Enough talk, see for yourself:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2...mmunityts5.jpg
    (sqtalk / version2.1 / florian wagner / bgc)

In fact, I was so pleased with the result that I thought of a slogan that would fit and it basically was before my eyes on the second try: first I thought of

"All about Singapore Airlines" which was a bit boring. Then it was "The SQ Community". I spoke it out aloud and it sounded like "The SQommunity". I liked it because it has a certain dynamic and youth in it without being too posh.

So, now it's your turn: how do you like my ideas? Of course, if the mods and staff don't want me to mess with the SQTalk brand, please come talk to me and I'll stop it's just that I love SQTalk and the people here and I love designing my ideas. It's a perfect fit for me as you're usually best at what you love!

Flo
    Home is where your heart is.

I love the last one, flo.. It's very classy..
    It looks more like a brand, rather than a forum tho.

Comment

Thanks!

it's a bit W Hotel style

Comment

Very nice, Flo (even if all that design talk went way way over my head)!

Only one comment - in the last one, does the full stop look out of place ?

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
          Thanks!

it's a bit W Hotel style
          Ahhh... no wonder, I felt like I have seen it somewhere. Anyway, great job, flo. I wish I had spent my boring days doing something to contribute in here, but alas.. the bed sounds more comfortable to snuggle in during winter days

Comment

yeah i thought so too. but it's just so hard making the SQ fit with the Talk, type-wise. I know it's a radical approach but it gives the whole thing a completely new dynamic. It looks a bit more like a unit because of the imaginary square it's placed in.

If there was no SQTalk and I'd have to think of a good name that transforms nicely into a compact, yet stylish logo, I'd not call it SQTalk the word-flow is really complicated to illustrate.

Comment

I love the mirror effect from the ground. Of the three, I like the second one best.
              Our current font is actually Metrostyle Extended btw.

Thanks for the design ideas, flo.

Comment

Hah cool. I wrote the whole thingie in Eurostile and it looks like an exact duplicate Eurostile is definitive a corporate font (as said, the Virgin Atlantic font) and Metrostyle it's free font counterpart!

Comment

Great job Flo!. sqommunity - this is cool. I like it.

What if you combine the sqommunity with the 2nd logo?

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                    I love the last one, flo.. It's very classy..
                    It looks more like a brand, rather than a forum tho.
                    Completely quote your thought!
                    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

I like the first one though the second one is very elegant like Singapore Airlines.

Comment

flo, do you know the fonts used by SQ? There are two actually, the one used in the 77W new business class campaign by Batey and the other one used in the Australia ads by TBWA last month.

I like the first one by the way.

If I remember it right, SQ used Futura for the the campaign ads for Moscow in 2005(?).

Comment

Baker Signet LT or Baker Signet is the font that is used on most Singapore Airlines literature and ad campaigns now

Comment

Working...
                          X