SQ Post Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
    These 14 specific aircraft are configured with seat protection covers and cargo netting / securing devices, hence the 'reconfigured' not 'refitted'.

In other words, they aren't just using any aircraft for these operations but 14 specific ones with this equipment in the cabin.

Granted of course they could move this equipment onto a different aircraft if necessary, however this is not the intention.

Under seat storage is also not permitted on some aircraft types, however on-seat and overhead locker stowage is being used.

Removing seats is coming next I heard - potentially starting with a pair of Scoot A320s.
    Noted, thanks for the clarification. Seeing 'reconfigured' gave me the impression that SQ had decided to remove seats until I read the article, and my guess was that I wouldn't be the only one getting the impression from the header.

Interesting that they are potentially thinking of removing seats from a narrowbody. Short-, medium-haul sectors are forecast to recover sooner than long-haul, so you'd think they'd use a widebody which has the flexibility to fly further (not to mention greater capacity and payload).

Thanks for sharing, MainlyMiles!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
      Interesting that they are potentially thinking of removing seats from a narrowbody. Short-, medium-haul sectors are forecast to recover sooner than long-haul, so you'd think they'd use a widebody which has the flexibility to fly further (not to mention greater capacity and payload).

Thanks for sharing, MainlyMiles!
      Pretty cool learning about Air Canada's approach to stripping out only the economy seats.

Maybe SQ could repurpose some of the non-refitted A380s for heavier cargo ops in a similar fashion? Strip out all the seats (and maybe galleys and lavatories too!) on the main deck to make way for cargo pallets, leaving the upper deck solely for passengers (perhaps a mix of J and Y seats like the SQ's version 1 A380 - yielding 60J 88Y on the upper deck). One can dream

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
        Pretty cool learning about Air Canada's approach to stripping out only the economy seats.

Maybe SQ could repurpose some of the non-refitted A380s for heavier cargo ops in a similar fashion? Strip out all the seats (and maybe galleys and lavatories too!) on the main deck to make way for cargo pallets, leaving the upper deck solely for passengers (perhaps a mix of J and Y seats like the SQ's version 1 A380 - yielding 60J 88Y on the upper deck). One can dream
        It doesnt work this way as firstly the A380 is too costly to operate and it can carry less cargo pallets weight in its belly than a 777. Secondly stripping out seats and making way for cargo in the passenger cabin is not really a good solution. Firstly passenger aircrafts do Not have the wide cargo door for loading pallets as it have only passenger only door exits and anything larger than a person cannot go into the cabin. And thirdly the floor of the passenger aircrafts are designed only for pax and not like the strengthened flooring designed for the heavy cargo.
        For the interim, SIA is much better off with its existing way of just using its cabin interior for small boxes onto the seats and overhead cabins.
        Last edited by flyguy; 1 June 2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

An interesting travel advisory just put on the Singapore Airlines website...

"The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) has announced that travellers will gradually be allowed to transit through Singapore’s Changi Airport from 2 June 2020. Singapore Airlines will announce its plans for these transfer lanes when they have been finalised. Please note that until then, Singapore Airlines customers will not be able to transit through Changi Airport."

Comment

Originally posted by maestro View Post

"The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) has announced that travellers will gradually be allowed to transit through Singapore’s Changi Airport from 2 June 2020. Singapore Airlines will announce its plans for these transfer lanes when they have been finalised. Please note that until then, Singapore Airlines customers will not be able to transit through Changi Airport."
            They have added more destinations for Jun as well. Which will allow more transit paxes.

SQ288 will be under SIN-SYD-BRISBANE-SIN rotation

Comment

Originally posted by maestro View Post

I think what's intriguing is that SQ did not have a plan finalised and ready in tandem with CAAS allowing transit passengers from 2 June 2020.

Comment

With today’s announcement, SIA has cut approximately 94% of the passenger capacity that had been originally scheduled for June and July 2020 due to the Covid-19 outbreak - down from 97%. But this is still very minimal increase.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                  With today’s announcement, SIA has cut approximately 94% of the passenger capacity that had been originally scheduled for June and July 2020 due to the Covid-19 outbreak - down from 97%. But this is still very minimal increase.
                  Yes, I was waiting until the July schedule was released as I must fly from Sydney to Rome next month for work. Unfortunately though, as a long time SQ flyer, it looks like I must now divert to a competitor & non-partner, such as British, Qatar or Emirates.

Comment

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but SQ is restarting pax services to AKL (2x weekly) and CHC (1x weekly). Services will resume next Tuesday 9th June.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...aland-services

AKL services will be slightly retimed with the usual SQ285/286 and SQ281/282 pair "combined" on the 2 days - SQ285 will depart on Tuesday SIN time and return as SQ282, whereas on Fridays SQ281 will depart SIN in the morning and return as SQ286 the next day. In both cases SQ's aircraft would remain on the ground in AKL for lmost 12 hours.

CHC service would be the usual SQ297/298, albeit with slight timing adjustments.

Both AKL and CHC would be operated by the A359, and my guess would be the LH version. It would be the 1st time SQ operated the A359 as regular, schedular pax services to/from AKL (SQ have bene operating the A359 to AKL during the Covid lockdown over the past 2 or so months, albeit as cargo only flights

No news about WLG services though...

Comment

June July Schedules are out.

Added Medan (KNO) to Indonesia but not Surabaya (SUB), I guess they trying not to fly wide-bodies as much as possible yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                        I think what's intriguing is that SQ did not have a plan finalised and ready in tandem with CAAS allowing transit passengers from 2 June 2020.
                        What is the point of finalized by 2nd June when there is only 1-2 flights with possibility of transit right now ? And they do have to get approval to add more passengers flights (not just approval from Sin but from other authorities)

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                          What is the point of finalized by 2nd June when there is only 1-2 flights with possibility of transit right now ? And they do have to get approval to add more passengers flights (not just approval from Sin but from other authorities)
                          Even if it's 1-2 flights there's still that possibility. Perhaps if they could start offering connections a few more flights would become viable to operate. I also don't believe the issue is getting approval from foreign authorities to restore passenger flights, with the exception of maybe China. It's not like SQ gave up Heathrow slots and is unable to get back in due to capacity constraints.

As illustrated by maestro, people who need to get around will turn to other airlines that are able to accept connecting passengers. Of course some of them never stopped accepting connecting passengers in the first place, but I do feel that it's odd that Changi is open to connecting passengers but its biggest hub airline which connects a lot of passengers through it is not.

Comment

Please excuse if already posted, but this brochure is supposed to be provided to SQ pax going forward. It outlines the revised procedures to enhance passenger and crew safety.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...re-7June20.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              How do you all think SQ post Covid-19 will look like? Let's discuss.

I think the following might happen:
                              Fleet
                              773s will be retired soon (772s are unlikely to come back from ASP)
                              A333s will also be gone once the leases are up
                              Version1 A380s will not be re-configured and will be gone, A380 fleet reduced to 10-12 planes
                              737 Maxes will just wait out, no hurry to bring them in
                              Undelivered A359/B78J/B779 will be deferred. 779 possibly pushed out to 2023/24?
                              No new aircraft orders till 2025cy
                              Reconfigure a couple of 77Ws to freighters

Routes
                              No new routes added till 2022
                              FRA/JFK downgauged to 77W, perhaps there will be a review with LH on their JV on the FRA route
                              Some of the daily multi-frequencies like HKG/CGK/ICN/TYO will reduce by 30%
                              More JVs even outside *A
                              Aircraft allocation will change towards what cargo can carry rather than pax capacity
                              More charters

Look forward to hear what the rest of you think
                              Recently, I read a routesonline article that all 77W first class sales will be suspended til at least the end of November (could be longer depending on if the situation warrants).

Do you think that's a possible sign that these routes could see A350's instead due to the current climate, and routes like HKG-SFO could move to a non-stop? Not that I'm expecting it, but in this time and situation, things are very hard to predict. Every month, we are expecting one thing, but obviously we know the pattern is trending downward.

I read that 77W's could be used as Cargo/freighters, but would SQ consider also retiring the 77W's as well? The 779's, I'm not sure how that's going to work out, would like to hear your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                                Recently, I read a routesonline article that all 77W first class sales will be suspended til at least the end of November (could be longer depending on if the situation warrants).

Do you think that's a possible sign that these routes could see A350's instead due to the current climate, and routes like HKG-SFO could move to a non-stop? Not that I'm expecting it, but in this time and situation, things are very hard to predict. Every month, we are expecting one thing, but obviously we know the pattern is trending downward.

I read that 77W's could be used as Cargo/freighters, but would SQ consider also retiring the 77W's as well? The 779's, I'm not sure how that's going to work out, would like to hear your thoughts.
                                Most longhaul routes now are flown by A359s and I think will likely continue to be the case for the rest of the year. The 25% lower fuel consumption vs 77W alone would more that justify this when SQ and all other airlines for that matter need to conserve cash.
                                I don't know what plans SQ has for the 77Ws at the moment but I would hazard a guess that they would cover A380 routes for a quite a while more until the market recovers; if at all....

Comment

Working...
                                X