• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQTalk NYC DO Nov 25-27 Weekend

yyzprincess
    SQTalk NYC DO NOV 25-27 Weekend
    « Thread started on: Jul 20th, 2006, 12:25pm »

The SQTalk first official DO in NYC is now confirmed.

NYC: 25-27 NOV.

YYZPRINCESS
    jhm

Maybe: MANFlyer
    jjpb3
    paffendorf
    MovieMan
    Savage25
    « Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2006, 7:38pm by yyzprincess »

MovieMan
    Re: SQTalk NYC DO NOV/DEC
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 1:48pm »

This definitely sounds interesting...

jhm
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 2:10pm »

Do you mean the weekend after Thanksgiving, i.e. Friday 24 Nov ?

MANFlyer
    « Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 2:36pm »

I've got a few trips through to S.E. Asia to do Oct/Nov and I have to go 'that way' on the what's left of the tickets so if it can be fitted in I'll try and get there. 24 Nov may be tricky as I'm supposed to be in the Netherlands that week.

jjpb3
    « Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 6:35pm »

Too early for me to commit but I'd love to be able to visit my friends in NYC before the weather becomes too cold. Put me down as a "maybe".

SQflyergirl
    « Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 9:02pm »

Start spreading the news... SQflyergirl's thinking of leaving today (or sometime soon anyway)....

Precisely when, are we talking about? I'm keen-ish

paffendorf
    « Reply #6 on: Jul 21st, 2006, 04:07am »

really interested in if business agenda will allow me to join u .
    Luke

yyzprincess
    « Reply #7 on: Jul 21st, 2006, 05:23am »

on Jul 20th, 2006, 9:02pm, SQflyergirl wrote:
    Start spreading the news... SQflyergirl's thinking of leaving today (or sometime soon anyway)....

Precisely when, are we talking about? I'm keen-ish
    Leaving today for where?

I was thinking NOV. 24 Weekend.
    American Thanksgiving is on last Thursday in November. 1.The sales are on the weekend.
    2. Hotels offer special hotel rates as Business Travel is down from THU-MON.
    3. City is not crowd. Easy to get Resturants Reservations.
    4. UA Members can top up on EQM, as every year since 2003 UA has offered Double EQM for travel between last week in OCT-15 DEC.

So can we have show of hands.

jhm
    « Reply #8 on: Jul 21st, 2006, 05:54am »

I'd be up for this.

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply #9 on: Jul 21st, 2006, 09:44am »

Count me in as a 'maybe.'

jhm
    « Reply #10 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:01am »

Not sure if this Do is actually going ahead on the Thanksgiving weekend but whether it is or not, I'm going to NYC!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581700

Expedia special fare - AA First LHR-JFK one way - GBP 413 all inclusive (although no BAEC miles/tier points of course)
    « Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:12am by jhm »

yyzprincess
    « Reply #11 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:54am »

Okay Expedia has ftaken us off the fence . The DO is ON.
    I will edit the first thread.

Fauchon, Shopping Here come the s!!!

on Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:01am, jhm wrote:
    Not sure if this Do is actually going ahead on the Thanksgiving weekend but whether it is or not, I'm going to NYC!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581700

Expedia special fare - AA First LHR-JFK one way - GBP 413 all inclusive (although no BAEC miles/tier points of course)

CGK
    « Reply #12 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:37pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:01am, jhm wrote:

But, since booked in A class, it can be credited to AA or QF or CX FFP right?

CGK
    « Reply #13 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:39pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:54am, yyzprincess wrote:
    The DO is ON.

25 is Saturday right?
    I don't think I wil not be able to join you guys this time. Grounded.

MovieMan
    « Reply #14 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:25pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:54am, yyzprincess wrote:
    Okay Expedia has ftaken us off the fence . The DO is ON.
    I will edit the first thread.
    Fauchon, Shopping Here come the s!!!

Please add me to the Maybe list. I'll be full-time in the US by then, so it should be easier for me to make it.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 November 2006, 08:39 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Savage25
    Re: SQTalk NYC DO NOV 25-27 Weekend
    « Reply #15 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:36pm »

Put me down as a maybe as well...I'll be travelling the weekend before and after, so not sure if I'll be able to make it.

jhm
    « Reply #16 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 08:19am »

on Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:37pm, CGK wrote:
    But, since booked in A class, it can be credited to AA or QF or CX FFP right?

CX ? Who're they ? (I've added my new AA number in the absence of anything else better.)

With all this trying new airlines, I need to work out now whether to go for SQ (sectors!) or BA or something else entirely new, e.g. BMI (having recently succumbed to the temptation of 20,000 free miles), MaxJet, IcelandAir etc...

CGK
    « Reply #17 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:33am »

on Jul 23rd, 2006, 08:19am, jhm wrote:
    CX ? Who're they ? (I've added my new AA number in the absence of anything else better.)

With all this trying new airlines, I need to work out now whether to go for SQ (sectors!) or BA or something else entirely new, e.g. BMI (having recently succumbed to the temptation of 20,000 free miles), MaxJet, IcelandAir etc...

Are you doing an AA challenge? Basically, if you can reach certain points within the challenge period, you will get the gold or platinum level.

You are thinking about another airlines already? You are not even started the SQ exploration yet! Again, it depends on what you expect from the airlines. Certainly, if you are up for op-up, SQ is not the best to linger around. I heard good things about traitor's air though... op-up left and right.

jhm
    « Reply #18 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:04am »

I know about the AA (not a) challenge but no need - I'm BA silver at the moment and should be able to maintain that no problem with the leisure weekend trips I already have booked.

No real disloyalty to SQ here! It seems to cost about £1,500 for SQ J JFK-FRA one way but I'd rather travel SQ J LHR-SIN instead - admittedly more money but a longer flight. I could of course upgrade from SQ Y JFK-FRA but again, the miles are best used on something longer.

I've just got a BMI credit card because certain FFPs don't have cards for those based in the UK... MaxJet are a new startup flying direct from JFK to London Stansted - it's apparently a business class configuration (2-2-2) for only £470 one way.

I'm not really interested in the possibility of op-ups so SQ suits me fine. I'm perfectly happy getting what I paid for (using miles or otherwise) and any opup will just be a bonus.

jjpb3
    « Reply #19 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:47am »

on Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:04am, jhm wrote:
    No real disloyalty to SQ here! It seems to cost about £1,500 for SQ J JFK-FRA one way but I'd rather travel SQ J LHR-SIN instead - admittedly more money but a longer flight. I could of course upgrade from SQ Y JFK-FRA but again, the miles are best used on something longer.

I completely agree. I can't bring myself to spend on business fares to the East Coast, because I can spend as much going to SIN.

I've just got a BMI credit card because certain FFPs don't have cards for those based in the UK...

Miles-earning credit cards are such a powerful loyalty tool, I wish SQ would consider the option. (Thanks again to MANFlyer for advocating for us in his recent dinner.) I'm thinking of migrating to BDDC in 2007 so I can use miles+cash to try out other airlines' premium class offerings. Blasphemy, no?

I'm not really interested in the possibility of op-ups so SQ suits me fine. I'm perfectly happy getting what I paid for (using miles or otherwise) and any opup will just be a bonus.

Careful about saying that at TOP. Some people live for op-ups.

jhm
    « Reply #20 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:57am »

on Jul 23rd, 2006, 08:19am, jhm wrote:

Whoops! I just re-read what I wrote. What I meant was "I need to work out now [for my return from the SQT NYC DO] whether to go for..." - I didn't mean it was time to move on generally!

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:58am by jhm »

yyzprincess
    « Reply #21 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 7:40pm »

I have updated the Maybe List.

jhm
    « Reply #22 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 7:56pm »

It seems to cost about £1,500 for SQ J JFK-FRA one way but I'd rather travel SQ J LHR-SIN instead - admittedly more money but a longer flight.

From a quick look at the fares:

JFK-FRA SQ25 J - US$2,708

JFK-FRA SQ25 J and
    FRA-SIN SQ325 J
    with a stopover in FRA - US$3,321

Only an additional US$613 to go to SIN!

I will probably try MAXjet given all my options:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582483

although nearer the time (when my bank balance recovers from my CRWSTAR2, hotels etc!) and assuming it's not unreasonable, I may consider taking JFK-FRA-SIN with a stopover in FRA and then use the remaining segment to get to BKK/wherever to start a return back to LON.

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply #23 on: Aug 1st, 2006, 09:34am »

Still staying on the 'maybe' list for now - and trying very hard to change my award seats on AA.

jhm
    « Reply #24 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 8:05pm »

on Jul 21st, 2006, 05:23am, yyzprincess wrote:
    2. Hotels offer special hotel rates as Business Travel is down from THU-MON.

When do these become available ? I looked earlier today on SPG and they currently seem to come out at $350-400 per night.

CGK
    « Reply #25 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 01:38am »

on Aug 7th, 2006, 8:05pm, jhm wrote:
    When do these become available ? I looked earlier today on SPG and they currently seem to come out at $350-400 per night.

ThanksGiving is an important holiday. Thus, it is claimed that Wednesday prior to ThanksGiving and Sunday after ae the busiest day of travel. It's for family reason. That's why biz is slow during that holiday period.

jhm
    « Reply #26 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 06:21am »

Any updates on the status of attendees for this ? At the moment, it's just yyzprincess and I!

My outgoing AA LHR-JFK is booked courtesy of Expedia. I'm just trying to decide how (and when depending if this Do goes ahead or not) to come back and to try to fit it in with my X'mas travel plans - either SQ JFK-FRA-SIN-PVG or something like BA JFK-LHR-SFO/LAX (currently only US$712 in WT+) and then SQ to PVG.

MovieMan
    « Reply #27 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 07:24am »

I'm probably up for it, but I am in the middle of a move to the US and so it's a little hard to confirm. I should have a better idea by early October.

jhm
    « Reply #28 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 9:13pm »

yyzprincess (who hasn't posted for a while) and I are the only definites so far so I'm not sure whether this Do is going ahead. In any event, I've just booked my return flight (I decided to try MAXjet - it's only $720 for the o/w) and accommodation:

Fri 24 Nov - AA105 LHR-JFK - arrive 14:45

Sun 26 Nov - MY100 JFK-STN - depart 20:15

Staying at the W New York - Union Square. It seems to be generally liked on TOF but it'll be my first time in a W Hotel - I'm not sure whether I'll love or hate it...
    « Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2006, 9:15pm by jhm »

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply #29 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:56pm »

on Sep 20th, 2006, 9:13pm, jhm wrote:
    yyzprincess (who hasn't posted for a while) and I are the only definites so far so I'm not sure whether this Do is going ahead. In any event, I've just booked my return flight (I decided to try MAXjet - it's only $720 for the o/w) and accommodation:

Fri 24 Nov - AA105 LHR-JFK - arrive 14:45

Sun 26 Nov - MY100 JFK-STN - depart 20:15

Staying at the W New York - Union Square. It seems to be generally liked on TOF but it'll be my first time in a W Hotel - I'm not sure whether I'll love or hate it...

Unfortunately I can't think of any way to make the Do work for me, so count me out.

I haven't stayed in a W either, but it seems similar to the Le Meridien Art and Tech range. Stayed in one of those in HKG and had a great time. Cool furnishing, groovy staff, cutting edge architecture. Apparently the Ws seem to throw great parties in their drinking holes so I daresay you'll have a decent time.
    « Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:00pm by KeithMEL1985 »
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

jjpb3
      « Reply #30 on: Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:23am »

on Sep 20th, 2006, 9:13pm, jhm wrote:

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the W. I've seen 'design hotel' pulled off much better in other places.

But I haven't stayed at the W Union Square (which is in one of my favorite neighborhoods in NYC). I hated the one in the East 40s -- small rooms, no real closets, noisy lobby, wanna-be crowd. The main reason I stayed on at the Times Square hotel was that they upgraded me to a corner room. Well, and I also wanted to reward them for checking me in late at night when the wanna-be party was in full swing in their lobby, and when my reservation was really at the Westin!

jhm
      « Reply #31 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 09:54am »

I didn't choose the W for its image but merely because it's part of SPG (with the great - IMO - option to convert to KF or BA miles); and out of the SPG properties in NYC, people seem to think the W Union Square is one of the nicest (together with the St Regis which is wildly expensive). Otherwise, I would probably have stayed in your recommendation - the Time Hotel - earlier this year.

jjpb3
      « Reply #32 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 3:13pm »

on Sep 27th, 2006, 09:54am, jhm wrote:
      I didn't choose the W for its image...

I didn't mean to imply that that was the reason you chose the W, jhm, so I apologize if that's how my post sounded.

What I was saying was that the NYC W hotels I've stayed in gave me the feeling that they were trying to be designer hotels, and that I think the failure to pull off this concept detracted from my hotel experience. I particularly don't like staying in hotels where the wanna-be clientele annoy me.

jhm
      « Reply #33 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 7:07pm »

on Sep 27th, 2006, 3:13pm, jjpb3 wrote:
      I didn't mean to imply that that was the reason you chose the W, jhm, so I apologize if that's how my post sounded.

Ooops, no need to apologise whatsoever! I didn't read your post that way and I should apologise that my post made you think that!

I was just making a statement why I chose that hotel and didn't have any hidden agenda behind what I said. In any event, I have no illusions that I won't stick out like a sore thumb amongst the other clientele (wanna-bes or otherwise).

KeithMEL1985
      « Reply #34 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 10:42pm »

on Sep 27th, 2006, 3:13pm, jjpb3 wrote:
      I particularly don't like staying in hotels where the wanna-be clientele annoy me.

Sounds like the NYC equivalent of Seven nightclub or Commercial Road....

I'm staying at the W Chicago Lakeshore, my first experience with a W. They seem to have good parties though.
      « Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2006, 10:43pm by KeithMEL1985 »

yyzprincess
      « Reply #35 on: Oct 18th, 2006, 8:07pm »

Boys and girls I am back.
      I was travelling from 14 Sept.-8 Oct.

Keith on 29 Sept I was in SKLF from 7:00AM- 6:00PM, in the computer room working on my presentations.
      Met Suzanne on my way to board my flight at 6:00PM.

NYC DO. I am afarid I cannot make it.

I have to be in Melbourne on 27 Nov. to sign contracts.
      Flying to Melbourne on 22 Nov.
      My apologies. Business comes before pleasure

KeithMEL1985
      « Reply #36 on: Oct 18th, 2006, 9:01pm »

on Oct 18th, 2006, 8:07pm, yyzprincess wrote:
      Keith on 29 Sept I was in SKLF from 7:00AM- 6:00PM, in the computer room working on my presentations.
      Met Suzanne on my way to board my flight at 6:00PM.
      I have to be in Melbourne on 27 Nov. to sign contracts.
      Flying to Melbourne on 22 Nov.
      My apologies. Business comes before pleasure

Ooh sorry if the conversation on the phone was a bit awkward. Was in the Orchard Road MRT station and it was noisy. Pity we didn't check out the computer room when we were in SKL F.

I'm glad you're coming to MEL after my exams have ended.

yyzprincess

« Reply #37 on: Oct 19th, 2006, 10:06pm »

on Oct 18th, 2006, 9:01pm, KeithMEL1985 wrote:
      Ooh sorry if the conversation on the phone was a bit awkward. Was in the Orchard Road MRT station and it was noisy. Pity we didn't check out the computer room when we were in SKL F.

I'm glad you're coming to MEL after my exams have ended.

I had so much work to do. 10 hours I was on the computer.

Will you be in Melbourne at that time?
      I will be staying at Westin Melbourne.

KeithMEL1985

« Reply #38 on: Oct 19th, 2006, 10:17pm »

on Oct 19th, 2006, 10:06pm, yyzprincess wrote:
      I had so much work to do. 10 hours I was on the computer.

Will you be in Melbourne at that time?
      I will be staying at Westin Melbourne.

I will indeed be in Melbourne. Will available when you're here, other than the 24th and 25th Nov.

Westin Melbourne is a very nice hotel.
      I'm a mere 5-10 mins tram ride away in Parkville.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2006, 10:19pm by KeithMEL1985 »
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 November 2006, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Is this DO still going on?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Is this DO still going on?
          Yes ... with just me AFAIK!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            Yes ... with just me AFAIK!
            Oh, it's just that the OP can't make it anymore and I wasn't sure.

Re-book for the week between the 9th and the 16th of Dec and you'd have company!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Oh, it's just that the OP can't make it anymore and I wasn't sure.

Re-book for the week between the 9th and the 16th of Dec and you'd have company!
              I can't make the week between 9th and the 16th of Dec - SQfg will be in town for one weekend and I'll be at the Strasbourg Do for the other.

Anyway, it's not a problem! I was originally thinking of doing one of those silly (to use CGK's description ) YUP/KUP AA runs for BA status. However, my sister just decided last week tht it would be a shame to let my double NYC hotel room go to waste so she's joining me.

Comment

Have fun in NYC, jhm.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                  Have fun in NYC, jhm.
                  Thanks, CGK - as well as NYC, I'm looking forward to trying out AA (coffin seats only though on my flight) and MY for the first time (although how long the latter will be around in its present form is questionable given that I've just read that their 1st CEO has left - presumably not voluntarily!).

Comment

I am taking AA LHR-LAX this Sunday...

Comment

Happy travels, CGK!

I'm in NYC and I see what jjpb3 meant about W Hotels. The feeling I get is that they try too hard but don't quite succeed. I love the location though, e.g. the X'mas and farmers' markets in the square and everything within walking distance. Plus triple Starpoints for Thanksgiving weekend!

I managed to visit three lounges yesterday at LHR - AA Flagship (to change my FF number as my BAEC number mysteriously reappeared) and then the CX F (admitted just on the F tix without any status) and SQ J (first time at LHR: and using access anytime). The good thing about the CX F lounge was the dimsum and wonton soup on request but otherwise, IMO, the SQ J lounge beats it hands down...

The AA F flight - even with coffin seats - was comfortable enough and service was good and friendly (just 4 of us in F and they even addressed me by name once!). The food was what I had been led to expect (e.g. pizza, B&J ice cream, cookies etc) and SQ J is miles miles better* (in fact, I think the UA J JFK-LHR food I had was better).

Edit: * - except for the desserts. I really enjoyed the AA B&J icecream sundae with my choice of toppings - much better than SQ (even on my one F flight).
                      Last edited by jhm; 26 November 2006, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Just a small postscript:

I'm in NYC and I see what jjpb3 meant about W Hotels. The feeling I get is that they try too hard but don't quite succeed. I love the location though, e.g. the X'mas and farmers' markets in the square and everything within walking distance. Plus triple Starpoints for Thanksgiving weekend!
                        A short while after my stay, I received a standard form e-mail - "Was your stay Wonderful? Was it less than flawless? We want to hear about your experience and how we can fulfill your wishes in the future. E-mail your comments to ...".

I replied - "Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and would consider the W New York - Union Square the next time we are in New York. There were some minor negatives which, as I'm being asked, I might as well point out ..." and I pointed out the small deficiencies. I didn't ask for any response let alone any compensation.

I was very surprised to receive a few weeks later - on Sunday evening New Year's Eve some more! - the following:

Evening Mr. jhm,

Our General Manager received your email and asked that I reply.

Our sincerest apologies, firstly, that we haven’t responded sooner, and also, that you had valid points that needed to be addressed. We pride ourselves on making each stay a unique and individual experience, but from your below comments, it was not an entirely positive one.

While I cannot turn back the clock, I would like to say that it is often the small things that can make or break a stay, and simple things such as [...] push it more to the break than make. We have taken each point on individually with the necessary departments to look at ways to improve these breakdowns.

I would love to credit your Starwood Preferred Guest number [...] 5,000 points in lieu of an apology, and also hope one day, you will give us the opportunity to right some wrongs, and join us once again at W Union Square. Should that day arise, we would love to offer you a complimentary room upgrade (on top of your gold membership), so please email us for your next stay.

Can you please confirm the above number is correct to have your account credited? Should we able to assist with any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Talent team.
                        I wasn't very impressed with the stay itself but I must admit that the response to my feedback has left a very positive impression. for the W Union Square!

Comment

Just a small postscript:

A short while after my stay, I received a standard form e-mail - "Was your stay Wonderful? Was it less than flawless? We want to hear about your experience and how we can fulfill your wishes in the future. E-mail your comments to ...".

I replied - "Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and would consider the W New York - Union Square the next time we are in New York. There were some minor negatives which, as I'm being asked, I might as well point out ..." and I pointed out the small deficiencies. I didn't ask for any response let alone any compensation.

I was very surprised to receive a few weeks later - on Sunday evening New Year's Eve some more! - the following:

I wasn't very impressed with the stay itself but I must admit that the response to my feedback has left a very positive impression. for the W Union Square!
                          I'm impressed as well!

IME the Ws (maybe all of Starwood?) are quite good with customer relations. I booked the W Times Square the week it opened and when I arrived they couldn't find my reservation in their system, which was a problem because it was the holiday season and it would have been difficult to find a hotel anywhere in NYC. However, to make up for that glitch they eventually upgraded me to a nice suite (I did have a printout of the confirmation). Of course, maybe that's the only room they had available, but it was still very much appreciated.
                          Last edited by MovieMan; 10 January 2007, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
                            I'm impressed as well!

IME the Ws (maybe all of Starwood?) are quite good with customer relations. I booked the W Times Square the week it opened and when I arrived they couldn't find my reservation in their system, which was a problem because it was the holiday season and it would have been difficult to find a hotel anywhere in NYC. However, to make up for that glitch they eventually upgraded me to a nice suite (I did have a printout of the confirmation). Of course, maybe that's the only room they had available, but it was still very much appreciated.
                            That's been my experience as well, although admittedly some properties are better than others. I'm glad to hear they tried to make things right with JHM in handling his email. And it's even nicer when you weren't asking for anything!

Comment

Working...
                            X