X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InterContinental Group properties - Manila

The InterContinental Makati, Manila - post #2
    Crowne Plaza Ortigas - post #3
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 1 August 2008, 12:50 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

The InterContinental Manila
    Makati City

I only had 17 hours in Manila and was simply looking for somewhere with a nice location and is inexpensive. I'd budgeted approximately USD150. As nice as the Shangri La and other hotels seemed, I couldn't justify paying more than what I'd budgeted for such a short stay. The IC was running a double points promo (yes I do occassionally credit to Priority Club too), had a reasonably good location and was within budget - and looked like the more contemporary property when compared to the Renaissance (the other hotel I was considering). So with all of the above considered, the IC made a compelling choice.

The hotel is located in the GreenBelt district, and is opposite a v large shopping mall and only 30 mins or so drive (for Manila's traffic this is considered 'around the corner') to the Mall of Asia (supposedly Asia's largest shopping mall, think Chadstone). For any ex-MNL xONExers or xCIRxxers, the IC is situated within a mere 30-45 mins' inexpensive cab ride from the airport should you opt for a short layover instead of a turnaround.

I'd pre-arranged for a transfer to the hotel prior to arrival, which was confirmed by the IC rep I met at MNL airport. I was then driven to the hotel in a v nice Nissan Cefiro. There was a security check at the driveway to the hotel, and another check at the entry to the lobby. A porter immediately sprang out to whisk my suitcase away . Lobby looked pretty pleasant. My room wasn't ready and I was given a drink coupon for use in their in-house restaurant -redeemed it on a San Miguel beer. They had wifi throughout the hotel, hooked up to their 24 hour plan which seemed reasonably priced.

My room was ready in an hour as promised. Arrived to find that the porter had arrived with my suitcase before I did. Not knowing whether tipping is expected in Manila, I erred on the side of caution and gave him a small tip.

The room was clean, tidy and contemporary. It was most adequate for my short stay, though I'd give it no more than 4 stars. The room also smelt like it's been freshly painted, as there was a slight stench of paint. Bed was a bit hard but I slept well due to fatigue.

The bathroom was tiny but well equipped. Bathroom door wasn't v well fitted as I had dificulty opening and closing it. Shower curtains were excellent as no my bathroom floor remained dry after each shower. I hate nothing more than crappy shower curtains and wet bathroom floors.

On the whole, more a nice Four Points than an InterContinental.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

yvrcnx's highly informative post about the other major ICG property in Metro Manila -- the Crowne Plaza at Ortigas (Pasig) -- is here:

Crowne Plaza Ortigas
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I'm at the Shangri-La makati this weekend, will try to get some pics too

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          On the whole, more a nice Four Points than an InterContinental.
          Hmmm, I think that's a bit harsh, no? I don't know which Four Points you've stayed in, but the ones I've tried have not had any porters who whisked away my luggage; appealing buffet breakfasts; attractive lobby for meriendas or cocktails; or such solicitous staff.

The main strike against the IC Makati, to me, is that they haven't invested in the refurbishments demanded by the increasing quality of their neighborhood (meaning Makati narrowly, and all the way to the EDSA Shangri-la and Crowne Plaza more broadly). But that statement is more about their facilities than the level of their service, IMHO.

The IC is a still a fair distance in quality from a Shangri-la (thus my brother tells me they offer substantial discounts to woo local M&I business). But at the same time, I think they've managed to be well above the level of Four Points Hotels (hotels which I happen to appreciate and like staying in).
          Last edited by jjpb3; 1 August 2008, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            I'm at the Shangri-La makati this weekend, will try to get some pics too
            Please do. I miss that hotel. (I have some pics as well, but will need to dig them up after confirming they're of acceptable quality.)

*green with envy*

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              The IC is a still a fair distance in quality from a Shangri-la
              It shows in the rates we get. Something like 70-80% higher for the SLM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                Hmmm, I think that's a bit harsh, no? I don't know which Four Points you've stayed in, but the ones I've tried have not had any porters who whisked away my luggage; appealing buffet breakfasts; attractive lobby for meriendas or cocktails; or such solicitous staff.
                Try the Four Points Sydney. I too like Four Points, the ones ive stayed at (bar Miami) are v comfortable hotels for their price point. Sydney was a touch or 2 above brand standards.

However my reference to the 4P brand is more about the physical infrastructure of the hotel. Room I got was certainly rather 4P-ish. I did say nice Four Points.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 1 August 2008, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I was a bit confused when I saw you were staying here instead of your original plan, but now get it. Sorry you couldn't get the Pen.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Just arrived, and pleased to note the IC Manila now has its own lounge at NAIA, outside the arrivals area. Small but comfortable room, where they offered me a (soft) drink and checked me in while waiting for the hotel car. Arrived at the hotel, was given the key card and whisked straight to my room. Nice.

Comment

Last date for stays here is 31 December. Sorry to see the old girl go. The staff here are lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                        Last date for stays here is 31 December. Sorry to see the old girl go. The staff here are lovely.
                        Sad to see it go too Haven't stayed recently, but there's probably 35-40 nights under my belt, including spending days on end doing nothing but eating at the jeepney cafe waiting for typhoons to pass. I'll miss it.

Comment

Working...
                        X