An extra long weekend jolly in Hong Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An extra long weekend jolly in Hong Kong

Took advantage of the Queen's Birthday long weekend in Sydney and went on a cheeky extra long 5 night weekend jolly to Hong Kong. Mum also flew up from Malaysia to join us. Plus QF's $560 return fare made it hard to say no to flying whY. Fares on the SYD/MEL-HKG market have collapsed since VA commenced services to HKG so we'll take advantage of the competition whilst we can.

Since this fair city is a favourite of many SQTalkers, thought I'd share a few recommendations on the places we loved.

The ThirtySix - whisky-based cocktail bar featuring highly original whisky-based cocktails with a highball-skew, bartenders who love a challenge, and a superlative whisky vault. Disclaimer: mate of mine helped opened it as a silent investor so we got the full VIP treatment, but the drinks are truly magical both on or off menu.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 June 2019, 08:39 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Hi again, if someone can share the proper 'code' to embed photos from Instagram on an Internet Bulletin Board, let me know. They show up on some fora using the 'copy link' function but not others
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 16 June 2019, 03:38 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Try this all on 1 line with no spaces.

[IMG]

https://domain.com/image.jpg

[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
        Try this all on 1 line with no spaces.

[IMG]

https://domain.com/image.jpg

[/IMG]
        Thanks. Used the img tags with my old photobucket account which worked for posting pics to IBBs but for whatever reason Instagram seems to obscure the 'ultimate' link to the uploaded file and only provides a post ID.

Comment

If on Chrome I recommend the Extension "GetThetPic!", which allows you to easily get the image URL itself via the right click menu:

Comment

Originally posted by SQuelch View Post
            If on Chrome I recommend the Extension "GetThetPic!", which allows you to easily get the image URL itself via the right click menu:

Thank you! Great tip. Amending and re-sharing the TR.

Comment

The Old Man's 2nd venue - The Sea by the Old Man. More of a casual neighbourhood bar in SheungWan than the original, but no less delicious.

PDT Hong Kong - needs no intro! Quite the dissonance getting to it via the Mandarin vs Crif Dogs at the original venue.

When we can't be bothered to think of where next, it's always nice to stop at Quinary. Think Hong Kong, think Quinary's Earl Grey Caviar Martini - truly an iconic drink of this glorious city.

You can drink delicious organic wine at Premier Cru in Sai Ying Pun (known as SYP to the locals) at retail price, and BYO food. Eng Kee Noodles down the road serves up some Michelin rated Cantonese beef brisket noodles for HKD40! Caught up with the lovely milehighj here for a thoroughly liquid lunch - thanks for making the time mate.

Whisky flights at Club Qing. They also serve a decent selection of craft beers and awesome experimental, small producer wine if you're not into whisky.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 June 2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Loved Simon Rogan's new overseas venue Roganic in Causeway Bay - fabulously inventive food. At HKD900ish for 10 courses and wine at fair prices, very decent value for upscale dining in Hong Kong.

Comment

Pansodan - a 3 month pop up restaurant from Yangon, situated where the Fish Shop used to be in SYP (the laneway next to Potato Head - don't bother with Potato Head in Hong Kong btw...). My first taste of Burmese food. Given the elaborate decor, I think there's a good chance they might stay around for good if things work out.

Comment

Sexy place for dim sum - John Anthony in Causeway Bay. Very cool decor, and you can pair dim sum with delicious G&Ts!

Comment

Fun subcontinental-inspired food at Black Salt. With very earnest service and a wine selection that doesn’t cost you your organs or your first born. Do order the chilli cheese fondue!

No visit to HK is complete without dropping by Mrs Pound for some fun fusiony street food (the Rendang poutine and coffee-rubbed pork belly skewers are must tries)….

….or COA for their tasty tequila/mezcal based cocktails (and I'm not even normally into tequila or mezcal!). Say hi to Jay at COA, incredibly nice guy and remembers us each visit no matter how long it's been between visits.

Comment

Need caffeine? Winston's in SYP has got you sorted with the best Aussie coffee in Hong Kong, or espresso martinis to ease those monstrous hangovers away.

PS - one of my fave cocktail bars The Woods has closed, no thanks to rent gouging. #hongkonged

In other news we got outclassed by my 61 year old mum at a 4am dance-off in LKF but that's another story for another day....

Before shiz got real...

Comment

What a great guide to bars and food in Hong Kong! You are making me thirsty (and hungry)! Thanks for sharing, KeithMEL!

Comment

Working...
                          X