Changi Immigration problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
    abiut 2 weeks back a passenger wrote in to the paper and complained about the slow immigration at the newest Terminal ie T4 and lamented that the self service immigration kiosks were slow and long queue while the manned immigration counter only have one officer and it seems the officer was not bothered about the slow clearances and no other officers came to assist. This is indeed bad news for the new T4 and especially the immigration system.
    Believe not just the T4 immigration kiosks. Those automated check in kiosks are equally slow and confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by frolic View Post
      Cleared immigration at T2 after 50mins wait yesterday.
      Don't think I've had to wait 50 mins, yet., but that's just not good enough for an airport that

It's been like this in the last 12 months i think... No point being premium pax who got to disembark first only to find the queue lines are horrendous.
      Absolutely. SQ have never had to offer anything special on arrival for premium pax because the arrival experience at Changi was so god. Now that has gone completely the other way they are going to have to do something about it.

I would urge people to write to SQ and Changi about it. That's the only way something will happen. Changi in particular will not want to start getting a bad reputation for this.

Comment

Motorists entering Singapore via the Woodlands Checkpoint on Friday morning (Jan 5) were met with heavy traffic, with queues stretching for over two hours.
        The Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) said in a Facebook post at 10.30am that the traffic had built up quickly due to the morning peak period, "coupled with intermittent slowness of our automated immigration clearance system".
        From http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...checkpoint-ica

As soon as I read it, I thought of this thread and whether it's a general problem throughout Immigration & Checkpoints. A system now too old or dealing with more information than it was designed for? I don't know but if there is a database behind, it must be enormous and communication may be a factor.

Comment

Half an hour again last night, and this with not that many in the queue either.

Comment

This seems to be getting worse now. Arrived on SQ983 last night and queues were so long. Decided to go to the manual counters instead and was came out ahead of than those around me who went to the automated clearance.

Comment

Probably time of the day.
              Yesterday arrived into T1 about 1430. Through in 30 seconds...

Comment

Thought you guys were crazy as I’ve never had to wait too long at immigration in Changi. Arrived in T4 this afternoon, had to queue over half an hour with about a dozen people in line. All lines were moving slowly as well. Didn’t help that the immigration lady had her panties in a knot and was being very very rude.

Comment

Just wanted to add-went through outbound immigration at T3 this morning and they sent everyone through the auto gates. Oddly, they also had about 6 immigration officers sitting in their booths twiddling their thumbs...

Comment

Originally posted by cyralax View Post
                    Just wanted to add-went through outbound immigration at T3 this morning and they sent everyone through the auto gates. Oddly, they also had about 6 immigration officers sitting in their booths twiddling their thumbs...
                    They’ve been pushing visitors to use the gates on departure for quite a while now. It’s a PITA when someone gets stuck due to an unreadable fingerprint.

Comment

Arrived at T3 yesterday morning around 7am (SQ495) and there were fair-sized queues at the desks but luckily I can use the automatic gates and was through in no time. Looked as though most of the people waiting were off a flight from India who I assume need a visa so that all has to be checked?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                        They’ve been pushing visitors to use the gates on departure for quite a while now. It’s a PITA when someone gets stuck due to an unreadable fingerprint.

The problem is they are pushing more and more people to the auto-gates but have not increased their number. I used to whizz through them in minutes and now get stuck behind a tourist that has no clue or, as you say, no fingerprint.

Worse since they still do a third passport/boarding pass check as soon as exciting the gate.......making three checks in about 20m!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                          The problem is they are pushing more and more people to the auto-gates but have not increased their number. I used to whizz through them in minutes and now get stuck behind a tourist that has no clue or, as you say, no fingerprint.

Worse since they still do a third passport/boarding pass check as soon as exciting the gate.......making three checks in about 20m!

When I get ushered to use the auto gates, I decline and head to the manned counters instead. I'm done with the auto gates in T2 and T3 as it's slow and typically error prone on any given day.

Comment

Originally posted by jonleong View Post
                            When I get ushered to use the auto gates, I decline and head to the manned counters instead. I'm done with the auto gates in T2 and T3 as it's slow and typically error prone on any given day.
                            A lot of it is due to foreign being unfamiliar with how to use the gates. For regular resident travellers, the gates are a godsend compared to the manual counters (provided everyone in the queue knows how to use them). Arrived from BKK on a very full TG flight recently and with almost all passengers being locals who seemed to be familiar with the gates, it was a very smooth automated clearance process despite having more than 300 pax going through immigration at the same time.
                            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

I find the T4 Gates are very fast and responsive similar to the HKG E-Gates.
                              Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

Disembarked from SQ51 at A15 at around 07:30 yesterday. Fortunately immigration at that end was quiet but even with just four people in front of me it still took almost 15 minutes to get through due to the shenanigans with the finger printing. As I got through the queues were about ten deep and growing (and still less than half of the desks were manned) so people behind us were getting stuck.

As my fellow passenger had checked luggage we had to wait for that as well, which was another 15 minutes. I remember in days of yore when I travelled with checked luggage (and immigration was easy/quick) and it used to be an ambition to one day beat my luggage to the carousel at Changi.

How times change.

Comment

Working...
                                X