Cathay Pacific - Impressions and Flight delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cathay Pacific - Impressions and Flight delays

Just did a round trip CGK <>Taipei with transit in HK on CX after not flying CX for the past 1+ year and not pleased that 3 of my 4 flight sectors were not on time. In particular, the flights to and ex Taipei were delayed by 2+ hours prompting me to change to an earlier flight at the airport on check-in followed by a mad dash to the departing gates. While sitting in the airport lounge, I kept listening to non-stop announcement of CX flight delays broadcasted, mostly to cities in China but also other destinations as well. Is it particular to this airline recently that their flights are often delayed?

In the last sector HK -> CGX which was the only flight on time but CX suddenly swapped planes and end up the J class was my much loathed + hated coffin seats! I thought they were already gone by now? Apparently some CX planes still have them. That forced me to voluntary downgrade to Premium Economy for the entire duration of the flight after take-off. It's actually not bad as I had two front row Y+ seats to myself. I was assured by the IFS that all coffin seats will be gone by 2017.

Service were average on 3 of the 4, IMHO not up to SQ standard. The last sector service was very good, perhaps partly to compensate for my downgrade. F&B onboard is average on all 4 sectors. Business Class Lounge in HK ( I went to the Bridge ) was very good and I think better than SQ offerings in Changi. Love their egg tarts and pizza and the shower facilties are fabulous.

Considering all the delays and hassle, I think I will still stick back to SQ whenever possible.

Originally posted by benlee View Post
    Considering all the delays and hassle, I think I will still stick back to SQ whenever possible.
    if fate decrees that I have to be on a delayed flight, I would much rather be on SQ than any other airline

granted, sats thinks they are above sq since they became a separate company and will use any excuse not to transfer your bags if your inbound flight is as much as one minute late, but at least the delayed experience onboard SQ will be much more pleasant than on any other airline

Comment

Singapore lies in an area where climate is stable unlike Hong Kong. There are more CX delays because of climate conditions and delays imposed by the Chinese ATC. The schedule is very dynamic. Like yesterday, because of weather in the South China sea, all CX flights out of SIN are affected.

We had Typhoon warning #8 raised in HK just a few months ago when no flights were taking off and landing......only to have SQ2 attempting to land at the deserted airport...they experienced severe windshear, do a go around, climb and volunteered to divert to Taipei when they recovered....what I am trying to say is SQ is quite "gung-ho".

Delays cause airlines money....they would rather fly despite the weather conditions to save money....but if they chose not to, it is for good reasons.

My flight was delayed for 2 hours yesterday but I did not complain because I know I will get there in one piece.

(Audio)

Comment

Originally posted by Audio View Post
        Singapore lies in an area where climate is stable unlike Hong Kong. There are more CX delays because of climate conditions and delays imposed by the Chinese ATC. The schedule is very dynamic. Like yesterday, because of weather in the South China sea, all CX flights out of SIN are affected.

We had Typhoon warning #8 raised in HK just a few months ago when no flights were taking off and landing......only to have SQ2 attempting to land at the deserted airport...they experienced severe windshear, do a go around, climb and volunteered to divert to Taipei when they recovered....what I am trying to say is SQ is quite "gung-ho".

Delays cause airlines money....they would rather fly despite the weather conditions to save money....but if they chose not to, it is for good reasons.

My flight was delayed for 2 hours yesterday but I did not complain because I know I will get there in one piece.

(Audio)
        Yes I understand that but on both days to and ex Taipei, it was clear skies and weather was very good. Maybe it has something to do with aircraft rotation ex mainland. Usually Taipei airport is very efficient. I seldom encounter delays ex Taipei like this time. Ex China airports yes.

Comment

Speaking of this, I have CX flights out of MNL to LGW via HKG. My worry is that I discovered that the flight taking me to HKG from MNL is prone to air traffic delays of over an hour. That may mean I can arrive in HKG for my LGW flight either very late or with an extremely tight connection.

Is there any help that CX can provide passengers who face such a tight connection as a result of these air traffic delays on their incoming flight to HKG? I contacted CX and I am charged a rebooking fee if I wish to change my flight out of MNL to a slightly earlier time.

Comment

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
            Speaking of this, I have CX flights out of MNL to LGW via HKG. My worry is that I discovered that the flight taking me to HKG from MNL is prone to air traffic delays of over an hour. That may mean I can arrive in HKG for my LGW flight either very late or with an extremely tight connection.

Is there any help that CX can provide passengers who face such a tight connection as a result of these air traffic delays on their incoming flight to HKG? I contacted CX and I am charged a rebooking fee if I wish to change my flight out of MNL to a slightly earlier time.
            From what I have observed at HKIA, if pax arrive at HKIA with a tight connection, CX will stationed staff at the airbridge on disembarking to guide you to the connecting flight departure gate. If you miss the flight, CX service counter staff can rebook you to a later flight to LWG.

Best is you allow plenty of time for transit at HK to avoid undue stress. I just posted to Flyertalk and over there they told me flight delays from CX is getting worse.

Comment

^^
              It's not a problem if it's the HKG-LGW flight that gets delayed. But MNL is itself a beehive of delayed flights due to the presence of only one runway at the international airport.

The thing is there is only one flight to LGW per day. In fact, I believe CX doesn't even fly daily there.

Comment

^^
                It's not a problem if it's the HKG-LGW flight that gets delayed. But MNL is itself a beehive of delayed flights due to the presence of only one runway at the international airport.

The thing is there is only one flight to LGW per day. In fact, I believe CX doesn't even fly daily there.

But they would be happy enough to put you on a LHR flight and maybe make a bit of a compensation if you say travel costs would be higher etc......At least they would save the price of a HK hotel.

They'll also assist by delaying the LGW flight based on the volume and timing of incoming transit passengers. Of course they'll have a cut off at which they can't wait anymore but they would normally be prepared to wait quite a bit. I've had similar experiences through BKK but it also means with a tight connection you generally just know your bag didn't make it.

Then you get some spending money from the airline to grab a few new things until your bag does arrive.

In the end, if your flights were ticketed all together then the airline has a responsibility to see you to the destination no matter if they have to rebook you on another flight or, also possible, another carrier as last resort.

Comment

Too bad I won't be on the A350 if it is via LHR. Luckily the last three flights were on time but we'll have to wait and see less than a month from now. Air traffic delays tend to be felt most on late flights which is what I'm taking when the aircraft in question has had too many journeys in a day.

CX flights to/from MNL are usually stationed at gates far away from passport control and baggage claim.

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread (not sure if your travels are already done).

I presume you are on CX934 connecting to CX343? If it helps, try to get to the airport early to wing a switch to CX902. CX MNL ground are usually quite flexible with standbys. Helps if you have status as well

Comment

How's that coffin seats? You mean Cirrus longhaul seats, herringbone seats on 343 or regional seats?
                      ps: Regional 772Z, 73Z and A33P has no Premium Economy!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X