Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore Dining - Coconut Club (Nasi Lemak)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Dining - Coconut Club (Nasi Lemak)

Here is an interesting take on a classic Singapore hawker favourite.

Coconut Club, at Ann Siang Hill, does one dish, Nasi Lemak, and does it very well.

They are located in an old shophouse among the eateries at Ann Siang Hill, near Chinatown.

Each plate of nasi lemak goes for S$12.80.

This is a lot more than what you would pay at a hawker stall, but this is no ordinary nasi lemak. Apart from the setting, which is really very pleasant, you are getting some really to notch ingredients, with an obsessive focus on quality.

I was there with a friend, who was the one who introduced me to this place. He had just gone there a few days before, and liked it so much he came back again, and brought me along with him.

Between the two of us, we each ordered a plate of nasi lemak, and a few side dishes (Strictly speaking, the sides aren't essential...the plate of nasi lemak is very generous, but we wanted to try some of the other stuff.)

The nasi lemak itself is very impressive.

It comes with crisp fried chicken - beautifully tender and piping hot on the inside, as well as a fried egg, ikan bilis and sambal chilli. The ikan bilis had good crunch, without being too hard and oily, and the sambal chilli was balanced and flavourful as well.

The all important coconut infused-rice was the marvellous: moist, with perfect texture to mix with the sambal chilli and the other ingredients.

It all came together very well -- a superb, very satisfying plate of nasi lemak.

The other dishes on the menu we tried were delicious as well.

Otak...

Sambal fish...

Clams...

The other speciality here is the chendol for dessert...a very nice way to end the meal.

This is a great place to get your nasi lemak fix.

What Coconut Club has in common with other well known nasi lemak places/stalls is that queues can get quite long.

There seems to be a huge lunch-time crowd and by 12.30pm or so, there may be a long line waiting to get in. Best to get there early, by 11.45am if possible.

Given the location and such, SG$12.80 isn't overly ridiculous for a plate of Nasi Lemak... But SG$8.50 for a piece of Otak-Otak??
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Thanks, yflyer! Great review! I hear that they are also open on Sunday now.

Here's a bit more on the background of this restaurant:
      http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle...ak-costs-s1280

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd
      But SG$8.50 for a piece of Otak-Otak??
      Depends very much on how it's made and the fish used.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
        Given the location and such, SG$12.80 isn't overly ridiculous for a plate of Nasi Lemak... But SG$8.50 for a piece of Otak-Otak??
        Well, it's quite a large and tasty otak-otak...maybe little expensive compared to the hawker variety, but in absolute terms, S$8.50 isn't too much to splurge once in a while!

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        Thanks, yflyer! Great review! I hear that they are also open on Sunday now.

Here's a bit more on the background of this restaurant:
        http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle...ak-costs-s1280
        Thanks, CarbonMan! The Today Online links are a good read!

Comment

KF Seetoh's review

http://makansutra.com/stories/1/1655...a1280NasiLemak

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            Thanks for posting, 9V-JKL!

KF Seetoh is a great guide to navigating the local food scene. I'm glad that Anthony Bourdain usually looks him up for his Singapore shows. (I am a fan of both these gentlemen...)

Bourdain was in town in March earlier this year, and Seetoh brought him round to eat prawn noodles, among other things.

Comment

And yflyer is the resident food guide in SQTalk.

I remember his recommendation of Luke's Oyster Bar and Chop House at Heeren. Food was perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by GLAM82 View Post
                And yflyer is the resident food guide in SQTalk.
                Just an amateur when it comes to foodie reviews...my core competency remains Economy Class TR's

Originally posted by GLAM82 View Post
                I remember his recommendation of Luke's Oyster Bar and Chop House at Heeren. Food was perfect.
                Glad you enjoyed your meal there, GLAM82! I haven't been back in a while. Should head back there soon!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                  Just an amateur when it comes to foodie reviews...my core competency remains Economy Class TR's
                  In that regard, definitely First Class every time!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                    In that regard, definitely First Class every time!
                    Thanks, CarbonMan!

Comment

Really liked this review. Looking forward to trying this place out.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                      I'm glad that Anthony Bourdain usually looks him up for his Singapore shows. (I am a fan of both these gentlemen...)
                      Bourdain is one of the nicest people, but his anti-Trump rants in the current season detract from his core competency -- ESPECIALLY since he himself wants to move NY food vendors to HIS hawker center.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        Really liked this review. Looking forward to trying this place out.
                        Yes, a great place! Definitely worth a visit!

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        Bourdain is one of the nicest people, but his anti-Trump rants in the current season detract from his core competency -- ESPECIALLY since he himself wants to move NY food vendors to HIS hawker center.
                        I am just watching Bourdain's new season of Parts Unknown on iTunes...enjoying it so far. Referring to the parts of the show about food, of course! Political commentary is not my core competency either...

Comment

Working...
                        X