No announcement yet.

Finding a hotel in Bali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, I'm going a bit after you are... see you onboard one day!

Cheers all, have more of an idea now what to do...

Comment

Originally posted by demue View Post
      I'm not that great a fan of the W (maybe because I'm not SPG Plat )
      I didn't realise you'd stayed at the W ?.

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
      I have never been to Bali

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      Neither have I... Nor Genting...

I have to say I am quite staggered to hear these Singaporeans and people living in Singapore who haven't been to Bali. If I lived in Singapore I'd like to think I'd go to Bali more than anywhere else.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

Any comments on Ku De Ta? Is it also pretentious? Like the one in MBS?
      Like any 'in' place it has it's morons but just ignore them and enjoy the sunsets, which are great. It's no different to Café Del Mar and Café Mambo in Ibiza that have their own pretentious morons but you're their for the fabulous sunset, not them.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        I have to say I am quite staggered to hear these Singaporeans and people living in Singapore who haven't been to Bali. If I lived in Singapore I'd like to think I'd go to Bali more than anywhere else.
        Similar sentiment to Noel Coward's ditty ...

Mad Dogs & Englishmen
        Go out in the midday sun.
        The Japanese don't care to,
        The Chinese wouldn't dare to,

Comment

Your world is too small mate...

3hrs from Singapore, there are MANY islands and beautiful places other than Bali, less crowded too.... Halong Bay, Trang, Pattani (yes, I know its the restive South Thailand but that beach is just beautiful and deserted)...

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            Similar sentiment to Noel Coward's ditty ...

Mad Dogs & Englishmen
            Go out in the midday sun.
            The Japanese don't care to,
            The Chinese wouldn't dare to,
            Indeed. But while I probably qualify as a Mad Englishman you won't find me lying in the sun, in Bali on anywhere else.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            Your world is too small mate...
            I wish it was, but alas it's far from it...

3hrs from Singapore, there are MANY islands and beautiful places other than Bali, less crowded too.... Halong Bay, Trang, Pattani (yes, I know its the restive South Thailand but that beach is just beautiful and deserted)...

Poor attempt at digging your way out mate. Remember how long I've know you.

Besides, while Halong Bay is nice it's not in the same league or ball park as Bali, believe me. It's nice while you're on a boat but the moment you disembark........and that's before the three hour road journey back to Hanoi.

As for Pattani....now I know you're having a laugh. I wonder why the beach is deserted...... What about Damascus or Mogadishu ?.

Comment

I actually prefer to stay home, even if I am on vacation
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                I actually prefer to stay home, even if I am on vacation
                I know the feeling. I just booked two short break holidays over the next 6 months, both to the Lake District a mere hours drive form home. No airports, no security morons etc just peace and quiet.

Comment

I know the feeling. I just booked two short break holidays over the next 6 months, both to the Lake District a mere hours drive form home. No airports, no security morons etc just peace and quiet.
                  That's not quite the same as staying home, Singapore-version, which is a max 30 min drive to the far reaches of Sentosa...

Comment

KL J to DPS is the way to fly for me because it is the cheapest and it is also giving out those Delft Houses which (if you are a collector of those small blue China gin container) is always the climax of a flight with KLM.

To start, Bali is not the place to visit if you are after nice beaches. There are a lot more islands with nice beaches in Indonesia (Gili & Raja Ampat) and in SEA before I would think of Bali. The beaches in Bali are fine but they should not be the highlight of your trip unless you are some surfing dudes who go for the waves in the southern part of the island.

I go to Bali for the island experience which is mostly focusing on the lifestyle, the art, and the exotic and mystical culture that make the island Bali.

For a 2 night visit, I think Seminyak is probably the best area for you now. KDT is fine and I don't believe the crowd there is overly pretentious. I would however prefer a nice but reasonable Italian dinner or brunch at La Luciola over KDT. I also like Metis and of course still like to try Mama san out (for dinner). Potato Head is very nice as well but it reminds me of a jetset lifestyle club. Then, there are Hu'u and Sarong and so many of them in and around Seminyak. So, you definietly can't go wrong in Seminyak.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                      That's not quite the same as staying home, Singapore-version, which is a max 30 min drive to the far reaches of Sentosa...
                      Let's not forget, there's Pulau Ubin

UMD: I'm going to eat local when I'm there, to be honest (apart from hotel brekkie, and even then...), if I want to eat Italian, I go to Italy (no offense! I'm sure Bali has great Italian food)

Comment

Do KL give the Delft Houses out on the SIN-DPS leg?.

UMD: I'm going to eat local when I'm there
                        If you do go to Seminyak you will probably be told to go to Made's Warung. We did and I have to say we didn't enjoy it at all. The service was awful and the food poor but everyone else seems to rave about the place so we must have been unlucky.

Comment

Let's not forget, there's Pulau Ubin

UMD: I'm going to eat local when I'm there, to be honest (apart from hotel brekkie, and even then...), if I want to eat Italian, I go to Italy (no offense! I'm sure Bali has great Italian food)
                          But it is Italian in an open air restuarant on a beach in Bali

You will find, however, that Metis, KDT, Hu'u, Sarong, Mamasan and others are just as local as you can get for the Seminyak area. Bali especially Seminyak area, in the last few years, has a very vibrant culinary scene with a lot of young potential foreign chefs trying to establish themselves on the island.

For local Balinese, you should at least go to Menega Cafe at the Jimbaran Seafood next to the Le Meridien hotel. Go early for the sunset. The other reason you should go early as well is because the place will be packed. Another local delicacy that you should try (aside from the crispy sukling pig that everyone is raving about) is Ayam Betutu Gilimanuk (a chicken dish in a special balinese sauce). Go for the local version (not the Bumbu Bali's version) for the real heat of the dish.

If you look for a romantic place for sunset, then you should head to The Rock Bar at the Ayana. It is a glass fenced bar perched on top a rock on the Indian Ocean.

Do KL give the Delft Houses out on the SIN-DPS leg?.

If you do go to Seminyak you will probably be told to go to Warung Made. We did and I have to say we didn't enjoy it at all. The service was awful and the food poor but everyone else seems to rave about the place so we must have been unlucky.
                          KL does give out the Delft Houses on SIN - DPS and DPS - SIN sectors. I just got them again last July when I flew with them.

As for Warung Made, I am not a fan of any Indonesian dishes made to suit foreigner's taste bud. The fact that that Made herself married to a Westerner says a lot about the food that she is serving in her restaurang. Thus, I never like Warung Made. Having said that, if you want to try Warung Made, then I would suggest the one in Kuta rather than the one in Legian/Seminyak area.

Comment

Thanks very much, UMD - it's indeed really helpful and helps me to plan for my trip better.

No doubt, our time is too short, so I will do my best and come back another time to do the rest.

It's looking like this:

Friday night:
                            Arrive/land 19:15pm. (sunset missed)
                            Go to hotel wherever (probably W, maybe Sheraton Kuta)
                            Friday dinner - somewhere near the hotel, if not tired we'll go to Ku De Ta (are reservations absolutely taken/needed on a Fri night?)

Saturday 9:30AM: Brekkie and switch hotels into IC Bali
                            Saturday lunch: Bebek Bengil or Menega Cafe (Are they open for lunch? Ask for the Gilimanuk 'local' version? I do speak Bahasa Malaysia, but not sure how you'd ask for that in Indonesian)
                            Saturday afternoon - chillax at the hotel or explore whatever qualifies as the town area (Seminyak?)
                            Saturday sunset: Tanah Lot
                            Saturday dinner - since Menega will be packed by the time we get there after sunset, what do you recommend?

Sunday morning: Take it easy at the hotel
                            Sunday lunch: Wide open, Warung Made? Open to suggestions
                            Sunday afternoon: No idea
                            Sunday evening: Ayana sunset (what time is the sunset anyway there?), then back to IC to get luggage and head straight for departure, again, looks like no time for Menega
                            Sunday 20:35pm: Flight departs.

Two things to consider:

1) Geography - Google Maps shows that Ayana is really close by to the IC Bali, which is perfect for a Sunday 'goodbye Bali' departure. This is a good thing.

2) Food - Based on the above open-ended itinerary, where would you suggest we squeeze Bumbu Bali or Warung Made in? (noted Bumbu Bali is also recommended by demue). I will not be eating pig, so suckling pig or not is irrelevant. Please also keep in mind geographical rotation...

The two places on my must-eat-local list currently no matter what (!) are Bebek Bengil and Bumbu Bali/Warung Made.

Feel free to suggest any local attractions that can fill in the missing gaps in our itinerary above. We do want to enjoy the hotel also

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                              There are a lot more islands with nice beaches in Indonesia (Gili & Raja Ampat) and in SEA before I would think of Bali.
                              Seattle?!?

Sunday lunch: Wide open, Warung Made? Open to suggestions
                              Aren't people saying NOT to go there? And that it's NOT local food?
                              Last edited by HUGE AL; 31 August 2013, 10:18 AM. Reason: "NOT" omitted; I was exhausted
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                                Seattle?!?
                                South East Asia....

Comment

Working...
                                X