Best SQ aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best SQ aircraft

I have just had a trip on the 787, 777-300ER, A350ULR and A330... all in SQ J.

Have to say that the 787 J flat bed is very good for a 4-5 hour over night flight.

The 777-300ER has the same J seats as the A350-ULR but the A350 is far superior in terms of cabin quietness and cabin air temperature control. Its a shame the A350 doesn’t have a first class cabin. I would have thought that First Class would be more in demand on 18 plus hour long haul flights like LAX and EWR direct?

The A330 is really showing it’s age. The seats don’t go fully flat and the over head bin space is tiny. Does anyone know when all the A330s will be phased out?

What routes are the A350 regionals flying?

Why did SQ buy both the 787 and A350 regional? Don’t they do the exact same job? Wouldn’t it be more efficient for technicians if they just had the one aircraft type?

I’ll rate my overall preferred aircraft for now to be the 77W due to the generous seat width,aisle width and lavatory space. Yes,there are complains about the noise about the 77W but for F & J Travelers, the noise level is not significantly louder than the A359 or 78J. The A380 is a close second in terms of cabin comfort due to the quietness and multiple “private” seats. Having been on the A359 and 78J many times, I find them pretty identical except the lavatory space is more spacious on the Dreamliner than the A359.

All in all,I agree the A330 is passé and I still think they are bearable for short regional flights. Can’t wait to experience the new 777-9 next year as they roll out in service. We should see the best cabin product in terms of size and technology and take air travel to a new experience.

Comment

My preference fo J seat is still the 77W and the A380 as they are the most generous in its class and the cabin width amongst the widest of all other SQ planes. For the A350R and 787R aircrafts, I fnd the J seat smaller and getting in and out of the seat still needs some squeeze. As for the A330s, they will still be around for the next 3 years at least.
      Last edited by flyguy; 31 January 2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

As a usual Y flyer, I'd still vote the 77W as the best. The noise can be taken care of with noise cancelling headphones. I'm probably sentimentally attached as it was the first aircraft I flew in to Europe only a few months after SQ launched the 2006 product and it still doesn't disappoint today. The 3-3-3 seat width can only be matched by the A380, but unless you score an upper deck Y seat, the A380 Y experience is too massive for my liking. A350 Y is fine except for the ridiculous armrests and the way the galley intrudes into the cabin space.

In my brief experiences of J, although the 77W and A350 long haul have essentially the same product, the A350 cabin seems more light and spacious in my opinion.

Comment

Can anyone tell me about the B773 which I am due to fly on the 20th of this month.Having never flown with Singapore Airlines, I am excited and very much looking forward to it as with my connecting flight from SIN - LHR ( SQ322) and this will be my first time on a A380 and again booked in economy.I have booked bulkhead seats with both flights ( 34C & 41H ) and was wondering if there are any overhead bins as these seats are right by the exit doors

Comment

Was on SQ336 a couple of nights ago: SWY I think. I still prefer the 777 over the 380, particularly coming into a third world airport like CDG: it just cannot cope with the volume of passengers and their baggage. I find the J class seats slightly better, not sure what it is, perhaps the cocooning effect as it wraps around you.

Comment

The 77W is also the best SQ aircraft. The new Y seats I've flown on 2 years ago were comfortable than the 2006 version seats. Though I have not flown SQ's A380, I have flown EK's A380 to and from SFO, and I can agree with Bytor with similar observations regarding volume and being able to get baggage.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, CDG ( Paris Charles de Gaulle ) is the second busiest in Europe ( after LHR and in 2018, the airport handled 72,229,723 passengers and 480,945 aircraft movements, so I don't know where you got the third world airport like CDG from I dont know.I have been to CDG before

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                  Was on SQ336 a couple of nights ago: SWY I think. I still prefer the 777 over the 380, particularly coming into a third world airport like CDG: it just cannot cope with the volume of passengers and their baggage. I find the J class seats slightly better, not sure what it is, perhaps the cocooning effect as it wraps around you.
                  Yes, arriving into CDG T1 on an A380 is just sheer hell. The terminal was never designed to cope with the likes of a 747 let alone A380. The last time I did it remains my worst ever arrival experience at an airport. The T1 building is just like French cars- they look absolutely stunning but functionality and reliability are an afterthought.

My view on the A380 is that I really have no issue with the physical plane itself. It's the social and logistical hurdles it creates in bringing so many people together at once for a long haul flight. SQ's little surprise stopover in Baku was another example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by bishop9011 View Post
                    According to Wikipedia, CDG ( Paris Charles de Gaulle ) is the second busiest in Europe ( after LHR and in 2018, the airport handled 72,229,723 passengers and 480,945 aircraft movements, so I don't know where you got the third world airport like CDG from I dont know.I have been to CDG before
                    The last time I departed from CDG they had taken down the shuttle train from the RER station to T1 for maintenance. They replaced it with one single bus which took 20 minutes to do the return trip and it took me an extra hour to reach the terminal as the queue of passengers began on the train station platform itself. If I hadn't arrived as early as I always do I would have missed my flight. That's a scene I would expect in the third world where they might actually be a shortage of buses, not in Europe's second busiest passenger airport.

Comment

We may need a separate thread on CDG. I go to France at least twice a year and it is the worst airport I have ever used. It makes NAIA look efficient. It is the only airport from which I have missed a flight in nearly 40 years of travel, due to strike on the RER A line (which specifically serves CDG). Last year, immigration at Access No1 took almost 2 hours, again due to a strike. The business class lounge is awful: in a country which serves the best food on the planet, the offerings are disgraceful. The design with with its doughnut shape and Perspex tubes ferrying you from one level to another on soggy plastic travelators must have been tres avant garde in the 60s but now it's pretty tired. Does Wiki mention it always makes the Top 10 Worst Airports in the World lists?

Comment

Working...
                      X