Crazy Rich Asians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Rich Asians

So, what do you Singaporeans and other Asians think of it ?.

I went to see it last night and have to say I enjoyed it. I am obviously helped more than the average Ang Moh in that I know Singapore rather well having been travelling there for many years but it was funny to see how many of the audience up here also found parts of it funny. I noticed that the aircraft at the end was SQ colours but not named as SQ. Did they miss a product placement opportunity there or did they decide they didn't want anything to do with it ?.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    So, what do you Singaporeans and other Asians think of it ?.

I went to see it last night and have to say I enjoyed it. I am obviously helped more than the average Ang Moh in that I know Singapore rather well having been travelling there for many years but it was funny to see how many of the audience up here also found parts of it funny. I noticed that the aircraft at the end was SQ colours but not named as SQ. Did they miss a product placement opportunity there or did they decide they didn't want anything to do with it ?.
    https://mothership.sg/2018/09/singap...y-rich-asians/

Comment

Having become accustomed to hearing responses like “where’s that?” or “is that in China?” when I tell people in the US I’m from Singapore, I must say the movie has been incredibly successful in marketing the country to unfamiliar audiences. While I haven’t seen the movie, it seems like all my American friends have - in some ways, it’s become the “must see” movie of the summer.

I’ve heard some Singaporeans were upset about the lack of racial representation, focus on opulence, etc. However, I think it’s important to appreciate the bigger picture, which is that Singapore is finally part of pop-culture. The reason Hong Kong and Dubai are more well known despite their similar sizes and economies, in my opinion, comes down to how often they are depicted in big budget movies (Dr. Strange, Skyscraper, The Dark Knight, Mission Impossible, etc). I think Singapore should continue to work on attracting big ticket studios, such as Marvel, to film there.

This year has been good for elevating SG on a global stage, with the Trump-Kim Summit, Crazy Rich Asians, F1, Best airport award, etc. Sadly, we’re still too often associated as the country that canes those who chew gum, a reputation that needs to change.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        I noticed that the aircraft at the end was SQ colours but not named as SQ. Did they miss a product placement opportunity there or did they decide they didn't want anything to do with it ?.
        The interior of the aircraft at the end of the movie, I reckon and many would agree, was shot on an AirAsia X A330 economy cabin with 9-abreast seating. The colour scheme and the seat design are the give-away.

As for the scene of the first class journey to Singapore in the beginning of the movie, I doubt it was shot on an actual plane. It was probably a recreated set using sofa seats instead of certified airplane seats.

Comment

Thanks for the link. While some may say they have missed an opportunity due to the films success, I can understand why SQ decided to swerve it.

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
          This year has been good for elevating SG on a global stage, with the Trump-Kim Summit, Crazy Rich Asians, F1, Best airport award, etc. Sadly, we’re still too often associated as the country that canes those who chew gum, a reputation that needs to change.
          The F1 GP has undoubtedly helped market Singapore, I have had friends who have never been to Asia ask me about it after seeing the coverage, especially the aerial shots showing MBS etc. The Kim/Trump meeting will also have helped. But as you say, people still also ask if Chewing Gum is still banned.

If Changi doesn't sort out those immigration queue's and other general disorganisation that is creeping in it can start waving goodbye to those awards.

Comment

Saw the movie last weekend.
            Quite a funny, light-hearted movie. Good entertainment value.

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
              As for the scene of the first class journey to Singapore in the beginning of the movie, I doubt it was shot on an actual plane. It was probably a recreated set using sofa seats instead of certified airplane seats.
              It was shot in a studio using massage chairs:

...we found high-end massage chairs and retrofitted them! Since the film doesn’t even depict flight attendants converting the plane seats into a double bed, we simply removed the chairs and installed the mattress in its place.
              https://thepointsguy.com/news/crazy-...irline-design/

Comment

Finally got round to watching Crazy Rich Asians earlier this evening -- I thought it was great!

I believe it will be screening on SQ's Krisworld IFE in December...not much longer now! Don't miss it if you are flying SQ at the end of the year!
                Last edited by yflyer; 26 November 2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                  Finally got round to watching Crazy Rich Asians earlier this evening -- I thought it was great!

I believe it will be screening on SQ's Krisworld IFE in December...not much longer now! Don't miss it if you are flying SQ at the end of the year!
                  Can confirm it is in December's selection.

Watched it on SQ175 the other day. Thought it was a great fun film.

FYI it was not on SQ966 the same day so guess SQ is still rolling them out to all the aircrafts.

Comment

Just off SQ2 in HKG (Operated by 9V-SWF) this evening. This aircraft already has the December Krisworld IFE loaded, and Crazy Rich Asians was on...

It was very popular viewing onboard...from where I was sitting, this movie was playing on screens all around me...

Comment

Even on my short flight from SIN-KUL (SQ 118) and then KUL-SIN (SQ 119), there were many people viewing the movie even without the headset.
                      Last edited by PPSFlyer; 27 November 2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
                        Even on my short from from SIN-KUL (SQ 118) and then KUL-SIN (SQ 119), there were many people viewing the movie even without the headset.
                        There will be lots of interruption (screen freezes) from the Crew announcements

Comment

Working...
                        X