Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do blocked seats become open for selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do blocked seats become open for selection?

Hi all,

Will be travelling in J on the SQ288 SYD-CBR-SIN service on 1 Nov and ExpertFlyer shows there are some blocked seats on the flight. On SQ do these seats become open for selection at some specific time before departure or at check-in? Or do they stay blocked for high-value/status passengers?

Thanks

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
    Hi all,

Will be travelling in J on the SQ288 SYD-CBR-SIN service on 1 Nov and ExpertFlyer shows there are some blocked seats on the flight. On SQ do these seats become open for selection at some specific time before departure or at check-in? Or do they stay blocked for high-value/status passengers?

Thanks
    Depends on the seats although since the new fare classes came in with the "forward zones" and paid seat selection there are now far fewer restrictions. Once OLCI opens at 48 hours prior all restrictions usually go unless they are extra-fee seats or special allocations. 96 hours prior can often also see many restrictions removed too, particularly sections that had been blocked out for potential group allocations.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      Depends on the seats although since the new fare classes came in with the "forward zones" and paid seat selection there are now far fewer restrictions. Once OLCI opens at 48 hours prior all restrictions usually go unless they are extra-fee seats or special allocations. 96 hours prior can often also see many restrictions removed too, particularly sections that had been blocked out for potential group allocations.
      Thanks! So I just happened to check the seat map at ~T-105 and 11A was open for selection. Fingers crossed the selection sticks. There’s something strange going on with the app - the Manage Booking summary page shows my seat as 11A but when I go into the seat map again it looks like I haven’t assigned a seat (but 11A is now greyed out while my previously selected seat is available). Is this normal?

Comment

Yes, 11A being grey means it is assigned - most likely to you, especially as your previous seat is now showing as available. I have never had an assigned seat changed by SQ. Almost always 'sticks'. If you have no status with SQ, there maybe a small chance of it being re-assigned but you should be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by MEL-World View Post
          Yes, 11A being grey means it is assigned - most likely to you, especially as your previous seat is now showing as available. I have never had an assigned seat changed by SQ. Almost always 'sticks'. If you have no status with SQ, there maybe a small chance of it being re-assigned but you should be OK.
          Thanks, I actually have no status with SQ (or *A) so was slightly nervous. Hopped online at exactly T-48 to check in and am pleased to say I have a boarding pass for 11A. Now let’s hope there is no last-minute seat shifting...

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
            Thanks, I actually have no status with SQ (or *A) so was slightly nervous. Hopped online at exactly T-48 to check in and am pleased to say I have a boarding pass for 11A. Now let’s hope there is no last-minute seat shifting...
            Great outcome!

Comment

Nice. I am eyeing 11 A or K for my next flight too which is currently showing blocked on SQ238. Will try to be vigilant around T - 105 hrs. Hope for the same result. Never had issue selecting that seat before when booking. Guess things have changed since earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
                Nice. I am eyeing 11 A or K for my next flight too which is currently showing blocked on SQ238. Will try to be vigilant around T - 105 hrs. Hope for the same result. Never had issue selecting that seat before when booking. Guess things have changed since earlier this year.
                The change pf policy re the bulkhead seats actually started in Q2 of 2017.

Comment

As a regular SQ flyer with status, I am very happy that these 'premium' seats are blocked until Online Check-in opens. SQ has made a few good decisions to reward their status pax, with better benefits and especially those with a history of loyalty.

Comment

But if passengers want to pay a little extra to select their seats when they book, then they can have any seats that they wanted except possibly the bassinet seats.

Comment

Aren't 11 A and K seats in J? Do they block seats in J as well? As I thought that all seats except the bassinet ones are open to all J passengers (whether with status or not).

Comment

No sure, but I have always been able to secure Row 11 (front row of J cabin) at time of booking. I have these preferences (by aircraft type) registered with SQ Krisflyer.

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
                          Aren't 11 A and K seats in J? Do they block seats in J as well? As I thought that all seats except the bassinet ones are open to all J passengers (whether with status or not).
                          Definitely can't select it and showing blocked on expertflyer

No sure, but I have always been able to secure Row 11 (front row of J cabin) at time of booking. I have these preferences (by aircraft type) registered with SQ Krisflyer.
                          Didn't this preference existed. Just had a look and I can't see the preferences in krisflyer. Can only see the option to Edit meal preference.

Comment

That’s because your TPP.
                            Row 11 is reserved for PPS until OLCI opens or it seems now T-105.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              That’s because your TPP.
                              Row 11 is reserved for PPS until OLCI opens or it seems now T-105.
                              I know that; I just forgot to mention it in the post. There has to be some reward(s) for loyalty over 19 years!!

Comment

Working...
                              X