Confirmed: SQ to restart SQ21/22 to EWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tweeshin View Post
    I am curious what time did you clear immigration after the two EL AL flights? What time your flight actually arrives? I have a connection between Newark and La Guardia in Dec where my flights ETA is 530am and I am departing from La Guardia at 930am on the same morning. It is on a Sun and I am assuming traffic to be smooth.
    We touched down at 6:10am (hence 10 minutes behind schedule). Immigration was backed up. They had one very long and slow general line, including for Americans, which made the Americans pretty unhappy. I think if you could do Mobile Passport or Global Entry, you could get through in 10-15 minutes, but it took me about an hour to clear immigration. By the time I cleared, it was around 7:20. I got the C concourse a little before 7:30 and saw the TSA line was also one long big line, so it was a pipe dream to make my 7:45pm flight. If I had TSA pre check, then maybe there would have been a chance. I went into the city for breakfast since I had a long layover, and when I came back thru security for the afternoon flight, around noon, it took me 30 minutes. But, I did notice, if I had arrived just 10 minutes later, the line had filled up considerably, probably doubling the wait time. All in all, not a great experience in Newark. The one positive thing is the ease of catching a NJ transit train into the city.

Comment

• Seem like SQ22/21 are doing well
      Many flights for SQ22/21 business classes seats for this month only have limited seats in Z class only.

Wonder whether SQ would want to cancel SQ36/35 n use the planes instead for additional 3-4 weekly flight to EWR?

Even SQ26/25 loads this month are good as well in all classes

Comment

• I presume SQ35/36 is still around because of J demand. Perhaps they can either make it a 3-class A350, or bring the A380 back on SQ11/12?
        an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
          I presume SQ35/36 is still around because of J demand. Perhaps they can either make it a 3-class A350, or bring the A380 back on SQ11/12?
          I don't think it's just J demand, but non-stop SIN-LAX J demand. Hence extra capacity on the one-stop flight might not be warranted.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
            Seem like SQ22/21 are doing well
            Many flights for SQ22/21 business classes seats for this month only have limited seats in Z class only.

Wonder whether SQ would want to cancel SQ36/35 n use the planes instead for additional 3-4 weekly flight to EWR?

Even SQ26/25 loads this month are good as well in all classes
            The load in J was never an issue. But I was surprised that I could find quite some saver award space for SQ22/21 in Oct/Nov 2019.

The problem was and is PEY. Just seen a promotion offer by Amex in SIN to New York for 1688 SGD compare to FRA/MUC for 2148 SGD. SFO even cheaper @ 1448 SGD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
              I don't think it's just J demand, but non-stop SIN-LAX J demand. Hence extra capacity on the one-stop flight might not be warranted.
              Perhaps they can remove some PE seats from the ULR and add some 9-abreast economy? Not sure about the commercial feasibility though.
              an infrastructure geek

Comment

Perhaps they can remove some PE seats from the ULR and add some 9-abreast economy? Not sure about the commercial feasibility though.
                Another more feasible way is to fly the standard 3 class A350 directto LAX with some EY seats blocked off for the range - likely a 20-30 pax less and less cargo on the way back?
                Last edited by flyguy; 10 October 2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I presume SQ35/36 is still around because of J demand. Perhaps they can either make it a 3-class A350, or bring the A380 back on SQ11/12?
                  Looks like things have started picking up - for once SQ35/36 isn't up for Spontaneous Escapes...
                  an infrastructure geek

Comment

Looks like things have started picking up - for once SQ35/36 isn't up for Spontaneous Escapes...
                    That's seasonal Christmas / New Year demand for the route. If SIA can't make money on it then, it never can.

You only have to look at cash fares in PY for December 2019 to see they are charging at least S$2.5k, but mostly S$3.5k up to S$4.5k on some dates for the cheapest roundtrip fares in this cabin. S$5.6k is the highest we saw for certain date combinations.

Come mid-January it's straight back down to S$1,300 return in PY. It will be back on Spontaneous Escapes before long!

Comment

• SQ is not making good money on its direct ULR flights to US - as for LAX and SFO flights on PEY its has always been around S$1,400 for almost all the time except during super peak like Christmas etc. This PEY fare is much cheaper than the SIN-MEL fare at $1,700 and is only a 7 hour flight, as opposed to the cheaper double length of time to LAX/SFO. In fact at times the PEY fare to US is even lower than the economy one-stop flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                        SQ is not making good money on its direct ULR flights to US - as for LAX and SFO flights on PEY its has always been around S$1,400 for almost all the time except during super peak like Christmas etc. This PEY fare is much cheaper than the SIN-MEL fare at $1,700 and is only a 7 hour flight, as opposed to the cheaper double length of time to LAX/SFO. In fact at times the PEY fare to US is even lower than the economy one-stop flights.
                        The simplest thing they could do is to remove all PEY seats and replace them with J seats. They have very strong demand in J. Alternatively they could replace all PEY seats with Y seats. Since SQ are charging Y fares anyway, they may as well get more capacity with Y seats. This will mean giving up on PEY demand, but it is much more simpler than a PEY/Y split at the back. Given the small scale, it would probably be pretty hard to manage.

The thing is, even if it may be more profitable to operate a full J or J/Y split, is it worth the cost of new seats, labour, and downtime? The answer only SQ knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by oliverdave View Post
                          The simplest thing they could do is to remove all PEY seats and replace them with J seats. They have very strong demand in J. Alternatively they could replace all PEY seats with Y seats. Since SQ are charging Y fares anyway, they may as well get more capacity with Y seats. This will mean giving up on PEY demand, but it is much more simpler than a PEY/Y split at the back. Given the small scale, it would probably be pretty hard to manage.

The thing is, even if it may be more profitable to operate a full J or J/Y split, is it worth the cost of new seats, labour, and downtime? The answer only SQ knows.
                          There are also weight limitations which would affect a J/Y layout given the higher total seat headcount. The ULR trades off payload for fuel to get the additional range. I seem to recall it's cargo capacity is also restricted to achieve its current nominal range.

Comment

• I think SQ can swap out a few row of PE seats and replaced with more J
                            3 rows of PE seats equal 2 row of J ?

The PE price to SFO/LAX seem to be the range of 1400-1500. Even BR/CX are also selling at this price. JL even have US$850 return fare from US to SIN for PE.

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post

Come mid-January it's straight back down to S$1,300 return in PY. It will be back on Spontaneous Escapes before long!
                              Looks like I know what I'm doing for my next US trip, short of an equipment change

Originally posted by oliverdave View Post

They could probably go to 3-class, keep 3 rows of PEY then convert the rest to 2017Y. Could probably get about 10-20 more seats.

I guess as is said, the only thing that's stopping them is payload. But if the aircraft is performing above expectations, why not?
                              an infrastructure geek

Comment

• SIA should up its standard on PEY especially in its meals which are basically the same as EY. Qantas and EVA PEY which I have taken is far ahead in their PEY and EVA still gives a branded amenity kit and slippers. But the best would be JAL with its wider PEY seats and its pitch.

Comment

Working...
                                X