Air Canada International Economy vs United Airlines International Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Canada International Economy vs United Airlines International Economy

If there is a strong desire to fly only Star Alliance airlines, and on that international route there are only two choices, Air Canada or United Airlines, which will be "better" in coach?

It will depend significantly on the route and the equipment being used.

United has Economy Plus while Air Canada has Preferred Seats. United typically offers more legroom if you can snag an E+ seat (either through status, by paying, or because the flight is full), AC's Preferred seats are closer to the front of the plane but don't necessarily offer extra legroom.

If this is a trans-border (i.e. US-Canada v.v.) flight expect the same drink service and small pack of pretzels on both UA and AC. Can't speak to catering on longer international flights on AC. I personally enjoy the E175/E190 in Economy and if I didn't hold status, would pick the aircraft over the other narrow-bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by kommy View Post
      It will depend significantly on the route and the equipment being used.

United has Economy Plus while Air Canada has Preferred Seats. United typically offers more legroom if you can snag an E+ seat (either through status, by paying, or because the flight is full), AC's Preferred seats are closer to the front of the plane but don't necessarily offer extra legroom.

If this is a trans-border (i.e. US-Canada v.v.) flight expect the same drink service and small pack of pretzels on both UA and AC. Can't speak to catering on longer international flights on AC. I personally enjoy the E175/E190 in Economy and if I didn't hold status, would pick the aircraft over the other narrow-bodies.
      say...

777-200LR on Air Canada

787-9 on United Airlines

and ignore those extra legroom as I feel that it will be immaterial unless it is full fledge premium economy.

Comment

Never flown AC but I’ll choose to fly on a 77L over 789 simply because a 77L is rare.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
          say...

777-200LR on Air Canada

787-9 on United Airlines

and ignore those extra legroom as I feel that it will be immaterial unless it is full fledge premium economy.
          See if you can bring up a seat map for the 772 without having to book. I know a couple of years back I did look into flying AC. IIRC, some of their 772s still had a 3-3-3 layout, while others had 3-4-3. If you can be certain the 772 is 3-3-3 then I would definitely pick it over a 3-3-3 787.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            See if you can bring up a seat map for the 772 without having to book. I know a couple of years back I did look into flying AC. IIRC, some of their 772s still had a 3-3-3 layout, while others had 3-4-3. If you can be certain the 772 is 3-3-3 then I would definitely pick it over a 3-3-3 787.
            Seems like it’s a 3-4-3.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
              Seems like it’s a 3-4-3.
              Damn. I think they may have refitted them because they definitely used to have a 3-3-3 variant.

Comment

Flown Domestic AC on A321 on Economy between Toronto - Calgary
                Their Buy On Board Menu was awesome, served with ceramic plates and metal utensils. Just like a J meal presentation

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  Damn. I think they may have refitted them because they definitely used to have a 3-3-3 variant.
                  I think all 6 77Ls have been refurbished. Up front there’s the new-ish reverse herringbone, which replaced the the awful herringbone pods, while Y is now 3-4-3.

Comment

AC offers also PEY on this aircraft, maybe that is an option. The seats are pretty decent, i just would avoid first row in PEY.
                    Meals are okay (bigger portion compared to SQ), service a bit rushed, amenity kit containing socks, eyeshades, earplugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X