New! SQUpgrade - Bid $ for One Class Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New! SQUpgrade - Bid $ for One Class Upgrade

Just got an email SIA is introducing a bid upgrade from economy to premium economy. It's a bidding upgrade prior 7 days before your travel subject to availability.

Seems like QF bid upgrade but QF allows J upgrade bid while SQ is only from Y to S.

Kudos to SQ for introducing new feature but not allow J upgrade bid seems abit sad. Perhaps S class not very popular so they using this to push.

Interesting but not sure how people will bite

Link to a screen capture of email https://flic.kr/p/HQSYsN
    Last edited by alian; 4 July 2016, 05:27 PM. Reason: Added image and typo

New! SQUpgrade - Bid $ for One Class Upgrade

Just received this email from SQ...

Sounds like a good idea...let's see how generous the bidding levels are.

Comment

FAQ link

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...ySQupgrade-faq
      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

I personally think that SQ shouldn't go down this path. This bidding for an upgrade is more viable for airlines of the LCC model. There is only so much you can do, and once you try too hard, things will only go downhill. I have tried the PEY, and my personal opinion is that it is over priced with nothing really to shout about. If you want to travel in comfort, go for it all the way, and do JCL with the flat bed.

Comment

I wonder if the original fare bucket is a factor in whether the bid or not is accepted.

Comment

Would this assume that once somebody has made a valid bid, that their place in the standard Y cabin can then be automatically resold, or at least become part of a pool that can be allocated to either Y or S as a whole?

There's not much money to be made in just shifting people to a better seat for an additional payment. If that's the plan, they would be better off lowering Y fares to attract more passengers and then upgrading status passengers to fill the empty higher classes by overselling Y. (Yes, I know I'm being self serving here, but it's win-win! )

Comment

Only from economy to PEY? For now this looks like a band aid for PeY's dismal showi g. For an ambitious project that has a $100m refit budget only to see the entire exercise suspended midway through and now this Y to S class upgrade,the signs certainly does't bore well and i suspect some heads might roll in management and Mr Goh is probably at his Wits end and SQ as a whole is facing a massive pricing pressure from a wide range of competitors.

Comment

So far i never get free upgrade from SQ to PEY as KFEG member , when i travel with BR or CA always get free upgrade from economy to premium economy sometime to Business class .
                This will NEVER happen travel with SQ

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                  I wonder if the original fare bucket is a factor in whether the bid or not is accepted.
                  I was just thinking about that. Say someone books a K ticket, and another a Y full fare ticket. Both get invited. on an extremely empty flight at the back. K pax bids $500, Y pax bids $100. Does SQ let the first go through - since it's just more revenue - or the second - since Y fare +$100 is probably a higher overall fare?

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                    I was just thinking about that. Say someone books a K ticket, and another a Y full fare ticket. Both get invited. on an extremely empty flight at the back. K pax bids $500, Y pax bids $100. Does SQ let the first go through - since it's just more revenue - or the second - since Y fare +$100 is probably a higher overall fare?
                    Just like with redemption upgrades propably are for full paying Y and not discounted tickets. But really this would be at SIA discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by wfs View Post
                      So far i never get free upgrade from SQ to PEY as KFEG member , when i travel with BR or CA always get free upgrade from economy to premium economy sometime to Business class .
                      This will NEVER happen travel with SQ
                      Anecdotally I have heard the opposite, at least during the initial launch phase for PEY.

Comment

With PY fares 2 to 2.5 times Y Super Saver, it is really hard to justify the marginal enhancements. For example, flying in Apr 2017 on SQ32/31, Super Saver costs S$1,370~, while PY is S$3,545.~.

Comment

it's like following Emirates and even MAS on this Upgrade and would think will extend to EY upgrade to J class in near future. However of course, there will be a min amount to bid.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                            With PY fares 2 to 2.5 times Y Super Saver, it is really hard to justify the marginal enhancements. For example, flying in Apr 2017 on SQ32/31, Super Saver costs S$1,370~, while PY is S$3,545.~.
                            This. PY is a bit better than Y, but no way will I pay THAT much. Especially since from my home airport (MNL), J tickets are typically "only" 3-4x Y tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              it's like following Emirates and even MAS on this Upgrade and would think will extend to EY upgrade to J class in near future. However of course, there will be a min amount to bid.
                              I'd be surprised to see this for upgrades to J. I'd imagine SQ wouldn't care too much about "dilution" of exclusivity in PY, whereas they would probably be a lot more cautious about letting that happen in J.

Comment

Working...
                              X