X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-SYD-CBR & SIN-MEL-WLG from 1 May 2018

SQ 247/248 is extending to Wellington 4 times daily
    SQ 291/292 Cancelled
    SQ 288 will run as a triangle route, first stop Sydney then Canberra and then Singapore.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...-daily-flights

Finally Singapore Airlines is listening to the demands of Sydney passengers and adding an evening departure from Sydney which allow us to arrive Singapore in the morning.

I hope Premium Economy is available on this service so that budget premium passengers like myself would be able to enjoy better services on SQ.

SIN-SYD-CBR & SIN-MEL-WLG from 1 May 2018

Singapore Airlines brings first class to Canberra on daily flights

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...-daily-flights

Singapore Airlines is shaking up its Canberra flights, adding a via-Sydney leg on the way from Singapore and upgrading the aircraft to a Boeing 777-300ER to include first class, lie-flat business class and premium economy from May 1.

Canberra flights will also step up to a daily frequency, but lose the dogleg to Wellington – effectively putting an end to the Capital Express flight launched with great fanfare in September 2016.

In its place comes a new Melbourne-Wellington service, attached onto the existing SQ247/SQ248 flights, which will be retimed to run four times a week from May 3.

Comment

Now that's a surprise. I thought the very survival of the route was in question.

Comment

This is interesting. Finally Sydney has a red eye flight to Singapore.
        I think the triangle routing will do well.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
          This is interesting. Finally Sydney has a red eye flight to Singapore.
          I think the triangle routing will do well.

All the best
          Great, now I can fly out of Sydney to connect Silk Air to SRG without having to stay in Singapore for 6 hours at transit hotel. I normally take SQ242 from Sydney to arrive in Singapore midnight, then sleep for 6 hours slot at Transit Hotel. Or I had to take midnight flight out of MEL/BNE to arrive morning in SIN.

SQ288 will be good for SYD to connect with regional Asian flights as well.

Comment

SQ288 to SYD has a similar timing like SQ211 though departing an hour later. Nothing has been modified for the existing 211/212 route, but it's neat to know SYD pax will have the option to reach during early morning hours even with the 1 stop.

The flight via MEL to WLG will be a 772 though

Comment

It's a waste to offer SQ metal service to Canberra from Sydney considering the short distance. The best cost effective way is to partner with Virgin Australia for a codeshared flight instead

Comment

I have an upcoming booking in June 18 for the original capital express route. Wonder what will happened to my booking.

I tried to go into manage booking page at SQ website, it shows me an invalid ticket/booking reference number.

Comment

I believe one of the biggest savings that comes out of this is the crew operating pattern - not having to put the crew up for 2 nights each at CBR and WLG anymore just after operating a 3h+ sector.

But yes, operating a presumably 4-class 77W daily on a route that's shorter than SIN-KUL seems too much of an overkill. My guess is an obligation of sorts or an agreement to maintain a service to CBR in some way or another. Or some politicians' preference for First Class

Comment

Very curious flight timings on SQ247/8. Essentially it's running almost parallel with SQ227/8. Heading out of MEL on Fri, Sat & Sun evenings is great news for availability for onward connections. Tuesday night may become bargain basement though, to fill departures of SQ228 (1540), SQ248 (1650), SQ208 (1825).

There was definitely some work being done on the system last night. At around 0100 my phone got email and texts telling me my SQ237 flight in July had been rescheduled to depart at the same time but renumbered as SQ6001. A little after 0300 another round of reschedule alerts told me SQ6001 had been replaced by SQ237.

Comment

Originally posted by wdranne View Post
                      I believe one of the biggest savings that comes out of this is the crew operating pattern - not having to put the crew up for 2 nights each at CBR and WLG anymore just after operating a 3h+ sector.

But yes, operating a presumably 4-class 77W daily on a route that's shorter than SIN-KUL seems too much of an overkill. My guess is an obligation of sorts or an agreement to maintain a service to CBR in some way or another. Or some politicians' preference for First Class
                      But they have the sq247/248. So the crew still have to stay at WLG.

Is the Routing SIN SYD CBR SIN the first routing to use only one flight number ?

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanL View Post
                        It's a waste to offer SQ metal service to Canberra from Sydney considering the short distance. The best cost effective way is to partner with Virgin Australia for a codeshared flight instead
                        I believe I read somewhere the Canberra service is heavily subsidised by the Aussie government? Maybe they feel that the capital should have "first class" treatment, hence they don't mind subsidising more.

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post

Is the Routing SIN SYD CBR SIN the first routing to use only one flight number ?
                          Not SQ, but subsidiary Silkair uses flight number MI522 for SIN-MDL-RGN-SIN triangular routing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
                            Not SQ, but subsidiary Silkair uses flight number MI522 for SIN-MDL-RGN-SIN triangular routing as well.
                            Also MI588 (SIN-DVO-CEB-SIN), MI577 (SIN-CEB-KLO-SIN) and MI788 (SIN-VTE-LPQ-SIN).
                            Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post

I believe the crew will do a MEL-WLG-MEL turnaround and stay in MEL instead. The MEL-WLG flight time is similar to a regional turnaround from SIN.

SQ used to have triangular routings with single flight numbers many years back as well.
                              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X