Scoot adds Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoot adds Berlin

Scoot announced today that they will start flights to Berlin.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ul-destination
    Last edited by SQ025; 1 December 2017, 05:26 PM.

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
    Scoot announced today that they will start flights to Berlin.

http://http://www.straitstimes.com/s...ul-destination
    Issue with the link

Comment

Here's the link

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ul-destination

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
        Issue with the link

fixed

Comment

That is fantastic news! Berlin is a great city to visit, and it will work fine as a gateway to other European destinations as well.

And personally speaking, I am a fan of classical music, so having a direct flight to the home base of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, one of the world's top orchestras, if not the very top, might come in handy at some point in the future too...

Comment

I would have enjoyed some real SQ flights even more, but I guess that was an option we got only once many, many years ago.

But a direct flight to Changi and connecting to SQ there is at least something to consider. Would save the connecting flight to FRA or MUC plus 1-2h stopover there ... and save me from connecting with LH

Comment

I wonder that is Scoot’s target segment,business travellers usually give such Long haul LCC route a miss and for leisure travellers,Berlin is not such a mainstream leisure destination. They could be better off deploying the dreamliner to routes such as Reykjavik (which would be S.E Asia’s only Direct service if the aircraft has the range) or perhaps LED (St Petes- strong demand for Russians headed to our regional beaches).

Comment

I wonder how LH feels about this.. IIRC Scoot is excluded from their Joint Venture.

Comment

Surely not targeting business travelers or they could have simply chose it as an SQ destination. And unfortunately the city and area is likely still not having too much big business attracting international visitors.
                  Regarding leisure, well, even after years the town is still booming and I can hardly step outside my office without bumping into the next tourist group passing by. And low cost carriers added a lot to that, bringing in people for a weekend to party in Berlin. But that's European folks, can't really imagine too many flying in from Singapore to dance away a weekend in Berlin. But maybe they're expecting to use it as a hub into central Europe? As well as getting people out to an Asian hub.
                  There are hardly any long distance flights from Berlin, everything rather goes thru Munich or Frankfurt, so cheaper connection could be interesting.

And regarding the join venture with LH, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's something put on paper but in daily business there's no sign of them working closer together at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mst View Post
                    And regarding the join venture with LH, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's something put on paper but in daily business there's no sign of them working closer together at all.
                    As of Oct 1, the two groups share revenue on tickets between Singapore and Germany/Switzerland/Austria. You might not notice their cooperation as a passenger, but their flights are now financially intertwined. A passenger who previously flew SIN-MUC/FRA-BER would contribute to the common pot of revenue. If the passenger now chooses to fly SIN-BER on TZ, the revenue belongs to Scoot.

Comment

There must have been some split before that agreement if LH acted as the local feeder for them.
                      Anyway, there might be this deal in the background, but as a passenger you don't really notice any change in combined operations. You're still often sitting between two independent operators with SQ usually trying to cover up for LH's lack in service.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                        Berlin is not such a mainstream leisure destination.
                        Indeed it is. Berlin claims to be one of the Top 3 European travel destinations. Berlins tourism growth is mainly fuelled by LCCs and to add such a destination without competition from Asia is the right move. Berlin is attracting a younger crowd, its a good destination to start off and easy to get elsewhere in Europe by LCC.

Comment

Schedule Released.

TR734 SIN0020 – 0725TXL 788 x246
                          TR735 TXL0925 – 0335+1SIN 788 x246

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-in-june-2018/

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                            I wonder how LH feels about this.. IIRC Scoot is excluded from their Joint Venture.
                            LH are not interested in Berlin, they only operate a couple of routes.

Comment

Singapore's Scoot to enter EU fifth freedom market

Looks like TR is combining ATH and BER once the service resumes in August 2021 with fifth freedom.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...freedom-market

Scoot (TR, Singapore Changi) has announced that it will enter the European market with fifth freedom return flights between Athens Int'l and Berlin Brandenburg Int'l, operated as an extension of the carrier's service from Singapore Changi to the Greek capital.

The low-cost carrier plans to begin flying from Singapore via Athens to Berlin, with full commercial rights on the intra-European sector, on August 10, 2021. Flights will operate 3x weekly and will replace the existing Singapore-Athens non-stop services. Scoot will deploy B787-8s on the route.

The Singaporean carrier resumed flights to Athens, its first restarted European route, on May 25, 2021, a full 14 months after it suspended the route. Before the pandemic, Scoot served Berlin Tegel (now closed and replaced by Brandenburg International airport) as a stand-alone non-stop route from Singapore.

"Linking Berlin and Singapore via Athens allows Scoot to tap on summer holiday demand between Germany and Greece, given that intra-Europe border measures have eased, and more efficiently supports travel demand from Europe to Singapore and Scoot’s broader Asia Pacific network, so that we can resume our network in a calibrated manner," the airline said.

In a recent interview with ch-aviation, Scoot's Chief Executive Campbell Wilson highlighted that the carrier might opportunistically revive its European network more quickly than some of its core regional routes, considering that European travel restrictions are currently much less strict than those in China or Australia.

While Scoot does not serve any other European destinations than Athens and soon Berlin, its parent company, Singapore Airlines (SQ, Singapore Changi), continues to operate exclusively passenger flights to 11 European destinations, passenger and cargo flights to Amsterdam Schiphol and London Heathrow, and only cargo flights to Brussels National, the ch-aviation capacities module shows.

Comment

Working...
                              X