No announcement yet.

Temasek interested in Virgin Atlantic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temasek interested in Virgin Atlantic?

Virgin Atlantic is in trouble in the current crisis, unable to operate flights because people are in lockdown the world over, the UK government are supposedly refusing to help out financially, It’s shareholders are unable to assist (Delta because it is seeking and receiving state aid in the US to survive, Branson because he doesn’t have £500m) and the airline lacks the cash to continue after May.

The airline has supposedly been put up for sale, and the Singapore wealth fund are supposedly an interested party.

Any thoughts?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...ntic-telegraph

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
    Virgin Atlantic is in trouble in the current crisis, unable to operate flights because people are in lockdown the world over, the UK government are supposedly refusing to help out financially, It’s shareholders are unable to assist (Delta because it is seeking and receiving state aid in the US to survive, Branson because he doesn’t have £500m) and the airline lacks the cash to continue after May.

The airline has supposedly been put up for sale, and the Singapore wealth fund are supposedly an interested party.

Any thoughts?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...ntic-telegraph
    Well SQ has wanted to get more in on the Australian market for a long time but they didn't show any interest in buying further into VA. I suppose their priority at this point needs to be protecting SQ at all costs and without a crystal ball, nobody really knows yet how much that will end up costing.

Comment

Singapore Airlines sold is 49% share of Virgin Atlantic to Delta. I can't see why they would want it back. Especially with the problems Virgin Australia are facing - SQ is at risk of loosing all it's investment. Based on that I can't see why Temasek would want to get involved.

Comment

I’m not sure if I’ve read your responses correctly - or if I’ve missed something - this relates to Virgin Atlantic (VS) in Europe, not Virgin Australia (which is a separate entity linked only by the branding I think).

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
          I’m not sure if I’ve read your responses correctly - or if I’ve missed something - this relates to Virgin Atlantic (VS) in Europe, not Virgin Australia (which is a separate entity linked only by the branding I think).
          I realise this is a separate Virgin named entity, but I’m basing my view on the lack of interest in VA investment given how strategic it would have been to SQ. I can’t imagine that VA wouldn’t have made similar approaches before going into administration and they are in a strategic alliance with SQ and wholly supply SQ’s codeshare network in one of their most important markets and SQ is already one of VA’s biggest shareholders. If none of those advantages appealed in helping refinance another foreign airline, then I just see little appetite for taking on more risk than they’ve already got in their own hands.

Comment

Working...
          X