Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are all Singapore Airlines 777-200ER but some with derated engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are all Singapore Airlines 777-200ER but some with derated engines?

Hi,

Sorry i did look on the forums for this but i couldn't find it.

I am just wondering why SQ decided to purchase 777-200ER and degrade the engines on allot of them so they perform like a 777-200? Why didn't they purchase x amount of 777-200ER and x amount of 777-200?

Is the answer purely so they can convert them back to a 777-200ER if need be? or is there another reason?

Thanks

It's not only the engines that are derated. The max takeoff weight of the aircraft is also derated. That reduced both purchase prices and operating costs (landing fees). The possibility of increasing thrust and MTOW by paying some money and doing some paperwork not only gave SQ some flexibility, but also greatly increased the resale value of the aircraft (compared to buying 777-200s) which is paying off now.

Comment

This is a very smart decision of SQ, you can see many airlines are looking for SQ's 772ER, but none for CX's 772

Do you know the fuel capacity are the same for 777-200(not derated) and 777-200ER?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
        Hi,

Sorry i did look on the forums for this but i couldn't find it.

I am just wondering why SQ decided to purchase 777-200ER and degrade the engines on allot of them so they perform like a 777-200? Why didn't they purchase x amount of 777-200ER and x amount of 777-200?

Is the answer purely so they can convert them back to a 777-200ER if need be? or is there another reason?

Thanks
        DEGRADED???!?!?! LOL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CRJ View Post
          DEGRADED???!?!?! LOL!!!!
          Of course, the OP meant derated, not degraded.

Comment

Yer sorry about that

What gain do they get by derating them appose to leaving them as standard ER?
            Why didn't they do this with the 777-300's?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by sutrakhk View Post
              Do you know the fuel capacity are the same for 777-200(not derated) and 777-200ER?
              The Boeing manufactured 772s and 772ERs have different fuel capacities between them. SQ's degraded 772s and 772ERs have no difference in their fuel capacity.

What gain do they get by derating them appose to leaving them as standard ER?
              Can't say for sure there. Their fuel capacity is the same, so I think the MTOW of the a/cs would be the same between the 772 and 772ER. The only reason I can think of is the fuel consumption of the a/c on the degraded 772s would be more suitable for short haul trips compared to flying a fully rated 772ER.

Why didn't they do this with the 777-300's?
              The 773 and 773ERs are completely different with different engines( for SQ) and some major structural differences. Moreover, 773ER wasn't available when SQ got their 773s.

Comment

I think they also reduced MTOW which can equal lower landing fees. The inspection and maintenance intervals will also likely be longer on the "derated" Trents.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
                  I think they also reduced MTOW which can equal lower landing fees. The inspection and maintenance intervals will also likely be longer on the "derated" Trents.
                  That's correct. The purchase prices were also lower for both the frames and the engines. If SQ (or a later owner) would like to, they can pay the difference to Boeing and to RR for higher MTOW and thrust, respectively.

Comment

Thanks for all people who have posted

The 773 and 773ERs are completely different with different engines( for SQ) and some major structural differences. Moreover, 773ER wasn't available when SQ got their 773s.
                    Ah i didnt know that. One question thats going slightly off topic. Can a pilot who pilots the 777 pilot all 3 types SQ have. Do they have a generic type rating. Can a 777 pilot operate the 777-200, 777-200ER, 777-300 & 777-300ER? Or because some have different engines does this not make it possible?

Thanks very much

Comment

yes they can

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                      Thanks for all people who have posted

Ah i didnt know that. One question thats going slightly off topic. Can a pilot who pilots the 777 pilot all 3 types SQ have. Do they have a generic type rating. Can a 777 pilot operate the 777-200, 777-200ER, 777-300 & 777-300ER? Or because some have different engines does this not make it possible?

Thanks very much

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post

Can't say for sure there. Their fuel capacity is the same, so I think the MTOW of the a/cs would be the same between the 772 and 772ER.
                        There is a 100,000 lbs difference in the MTOW of the B772 and B772ER. Surprising, since there is no structural limitations to the B772 to not carry the difference in the MTOW. Just a paper limitation.

Comment

There is a 100,000 lbs difference in the MTOW of the B772 and B772ER. Surprising, since there is no structural limitations to the B772 to not carry the difference in the MTOW. Just a paper limitation.
                          If by "B772" you mean SQ's derated 777-200ERs, then you're right, there are no structural differences. If you mean 777-200s, then you're mistaken, there are substantial structural differences. If 777s that Boeing built as 777-200s cannot be upgraded to 777-200ERs. SQ had Boeing build 777-200ERs for them and then bought them as 777-200s so that they can be uprated later (for more money).

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                            If by "B772" you mean SQ's derated 777-200ERs, then you're right, there are no structural differences. If you mean 777-200s, then you're mistaken, there are substantial structural differences. If 777s that Boeing built as 777-200s cannot be upgraded to 777-200ERs. SQ had Boeing build 777-200ERs for them and then bought them as 777-200s so that they can be uprated later (for more money).
                            Yup, I meant SQ's "B772"s. If I'm not mistaken, Boeing built B772s have no centre tanks in them.

Comment

Yup, I meant SQ's "B772"s. If I'm not mistaken, Boeing built B772s have no centre tanks in them.
                              All of SQ's 777-200s have centre tanks because Boeing built them as 777-200ERs.

Comment

Working...
                              X