Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ to add 12 NEW destinations this financial year?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ to add 12 NEW destinations this financial year?!

In what seems like a return to growth, CEO Goh Choon Phong said that SQ intends to add 12 new destinations this financial year..

The national carrier also plans to add 12 new destinations this financial year, Mr Goh revealed, noting that this is "not a small feat" given the challenging business environment
    Quite surprised by this seeing how conservative SIA has been when growing mainline destinations over the last few years... any ideas on potential destinations?

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...o/3261258.html
    Last edited by chiraagnt; 4 November 2016, 08:14 PM. Reason: Typo

I guess Tel Aviv is one of the 12.
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

My bet as below:
      Karachi
      Vienna
      Stockhlom
      Berlin
      Madrid
      Gevena
      Vancouver
      Chicago
      Seattle
      Toronto
      Tehran
      Tel aviv

Comment

My bet:
        Berlin
        Brussels
        Cairo
        Doha
        Hamburg
        Helsinki
        Honolulu
        Naypyidaw
        Seattle
        Tel Aviv
        Vancouver
        Warsaw

Comment

believed there should be a few Chinese cities, and likely some of such new destinations could be by Silkair. But 12 destinations in a year seems too ambitious for SIA given its past few years record of having no new routes at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
            I guess Tel Aviv is one of the 12.
            Maybe Tel Aviv will be annouced when the Israeli PM visits Singapore

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...t/3248542.html

Comment

It's exciting but in some ways not so surprising. We've already seen some very unexpected destinations announced and implemented, such as CBR, WLG and DUS.

Another sign has been the transfer of ex-77W seats and IFE into older 777s. It's not something you do as an airline if you're planning to retire the planes in the next 24 months, so I don't see a lot of those old 777s leaving in a hurry. The incoming A350s will replace A330s coming off lease, the oldest 772s that do retire as well as growing new routes. I don't mind flying in an old 777 if the seat is no longer hard and lumpy and the screen isn't small and fuzzy.

One area that's really missing from SQ's flight map is Central Asia. I wonder if destinations in countries like Kazakhstan might ever be attractive, or perhaps with the current low oil price that opportunity has now passed.

Finally, my personal hope is for direct flights to VIE. I never thought I'd see DUS, so I haven't given up hope for VIE yet!

Comment

I wonder if he meant the entire SQ Group: SQ / MI / SQC / TR / TZ

Comment

That's some serious growth. Could they mean 12 new "routes", some of which have already been announced/launched (DUS, CGK-SYD, SFO, MAN-IAH, ...)?

Comment

I think it's 12 new destinations across the entire group. Anyway, my vote goes to:

Athens (announced)
                    Berlin
                    Busan
                    Cairo
                    Chicago
                    Honolulu
                    Madrid
                    Okinawa
                    Pune
                    Stockholm (maybe as a tag to Copenhagen)
                    Seattle or Vancouver (but not both)
                    Tel Aviv

Is there demand for Lahore?

Comment

+1 if Seattle gets implemented if and only if I land up moving there for work after graduating. My guess is some routes can be A350 and other routes can be 77WR.

Comment

This is definitely a radical change from what the management had been doing with regards to new destinations, including under Mr. Goh himself.

Although I think this involves destinations across the whole SIA group. Here are my speculations:

Berlin (SQ)
                        Brussels (SQ)
                        Vienna (SQ)
                        Stockholm (SQ)
                        Chicago (SQ)
                        Toronto (SQ)
                        Vancouver (SQ)
                        Tel Aviv (SQ)
                        Karachi (SQ or TZ)
                        Pune (MI or TZ)
                        Goa (MI or TZ)
                        Busan (SQ or TZ)

Comment

Wow exciting times ahead! I'm hoping for a route to Stockholm!
                          Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

I'm not sure if SQ can fly to Busan though. I remember in a separate thread that Singapore carriers have used up almost all of their rights for Korea. I believe that's the reason why the SQ group is unable to add any frequencies to Korea.

I quote from CAPA's article published 19 August 2016:

"Singapore and Korea have had tense aeropolitical relations for a few years. Singapore Airlines is permitted the equivalent of a daily 777-300ER fifth freedom flight beyond Korea but cannot upgauge it to A380 while maintaining daily service. Singapore Airlines may profess to limited ambitions, such as only wanting to upgauge the single existing service. But there are concerns in the reluctant Korean administration that there would then be a request for a second flight and more."

"Korea has liberalised agreements with six ASEAN nations for third and fourth freedom traffic.

The four states with traffic restrictions are Brunei, Indonesia, the Philippines and Singapore. Singapore is the only significant concern."

Comment

Hoping/dreaming for Vancouver, Oslo and Chicago!

If SQ's current A350 can make it to SFO, surely it can do YVR non-stop. Singapore is apparently Oslo's largest unserved market, but OSL would be at the expense of SQ's CPH flight. Chicago is the next logical city to add in USA, but then competition for Asia-Chicago traffic has become a lot fiercer since SQ last served the city.

In all honesty I think it's probably the SIA group, not SQ itself that will open 12 new destinations by the end of this FY.

Comment

Working...
                              X