Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh I see. Thanks N_Architect!

Comment

i inherited my dad's longshoreman book when my parents passed away. i would go straight from my bartending job and work the graveyard on the docks full-time while going to college full-time and just tried to save as much money as possible and invested it at the right time. i still do my mandatory training hours every couple years to keep my forklift/crane license current.

Comment

Great pics!

Doesn't look anything like a GTi that's for sure !

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, N_Architect! For most of the time, a ship to me is just a description on paper (whether it be in a loan agreement, a ship mortgage or some other document) and it's nice to actually see them.

If you take requests, can we have some pictures of a ULCC or a LNG carrier ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            If you take requests, can we have some pictures of a ULCC
            http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/.../5/1339597.jpg

Depending on how you look at it... U could mean Ultra or Ugly..

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Don't know about LR, BV, DNV and GL though. Are they expensive options?
              When a new ship is delivered and enters operational service, it is mandatory for her owners or managers to have it classed with one society, like the ones mentioned above. Different classes have different charges for their services, so yes, they can be expensive options, but there also cheaper options available. But, as always, you get what you pay for.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Great pics!
              Thanks, SQFG.

Thanks for the pictures, N_Architect! For most of the time, a ship to me is just a description on paper (whether it be in a loan agreement, a ship mortgage or some other document) and it's nice to actually see them.
              That's one of the reasons why I posted the pictures. I've dealt with brokers and lawyers multiple times and I think it would always be nice for them to see and remember the 'end product' (whether it is a new vessel or one that has already been in operation for years).

If you take requests, can we have some pictures of a ULCC or a LNG carrier ?
              I love to take pictures, especially on the job. I have many more, as I have so far been fortunate enough to experience shipping from a variety of posts.

I would really love to take requests, however at the moment I think (sadly) this is not actually possible, for the following reasons:

(a) The type of organization I work for and my current contractual arrangements prohibit me from taking up (at least officially) another revenue generating activity, especially from the same field of work;

(b) As you may well know, shipowners and newbuild or repair yards work a lot on confidentiality contractual agreements. From what I have observed in the last few years here in Asia, and as business is continuously booming and new technologies and designs are developed, shipowners but especially yards do not want any kind of publicity on their end products, processes and operations or facilities for a variety of reasons (which I am sure you well appreciate).

As a result, it would be kind of inappropriate and risky for me and the organization I represent, at the present stage, to get involved into something like this (especially for LNG, for reasons which I can explain to you in private).

I suggest you contact me by email at my handle (at yahoo dot com) so that we take the discussion further.

I will benefit society the most [by studying architecture] for I am sure that I will be able to practice this career with enthusiasm and love.” – Santiago Calatrava, on his application to an architecture school in Valencia, Spain, at the age of 17.
              Last edited by N_Architect; 29 March 2008, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Excellent pics N_Architect !.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  LR, ABS, BV, DNV or GL ?.
                  I work for one of the big 4 accounting firms and do expatriate tax work for one of the above who would send staff from one country to another.

Comment

this is why I am flying around.....

Floating car park... your new car may have been shipped to you by us...

The cockpit of the ship....

Her main engine running......
                    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Nice car carrier, kapitan - thanks for the pics and the movie.

Comment

Excellent pics/movie kapitan!

Comment

this may sound naive ... but i never ever heard about this job. probably because austria is not exactly the country to be where jobs concerning sea and ships etc. matter that much (caused by our geographic location hehe).

but its quite interesting what you guys do. if i only knew this branch even existed when i started uni or so, i would probably have given it a try.

toodles
                          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Austria did have its Kaiserliche und Königliche Kriegsmarine. Whoops, that was waaay before your time, flo.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              Austria did have its Kaiserliche und Königliche Kriegsmarine. Whoops, that was waaay before your time, flo.
                              True, that
                              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

There are a number of SQTalkers involved in or connected with the shipping industry then! I'm a ship finance lawyer.
                                Small world indeed! I did think it was funny seeing such a topic on SQTalk!

I'm actually working in Singapore as a shipbroker.

I've 'fixed' many 'good' classes - but generally being in the Asian market, it tends to boil down to NK and CCS. I would not count VRIES as being anywhere near a top ranking. In fact, I'm responsible for fixing one vessel whose Vietnamese captain decided it would be a smart idea to sail right into Papua New Guinea for Christmas. Literally - right into the island itself. Smart chap, he is... don't think he got a Christmas '07 bonus!

However I've also fixed my share of Russians (gotta love Ingostrakhh, can barely pronounce the damned word on the phone) and Cambodian classes. Top it off with a nice DPRK-flag and you've got a ship every FCC wants!

Fortunately, I've also been fortunate enough to go on board a fair few fine vessels, most recently the M/V "Startramp" two days after delivery from Surabaya (she was at the back of Sentosa to get supplies). Funky Croatian captain, he gave us the grand tour of his beautiful lady and then sailed her the next day towards the Suez. The paint smell was quite strong as the vessel hadn't even finished drying yet.

We should do a shipping meet!

florianwagner: Don't be too sorry you ain't in this industry. There's a saying commonly associated with the wives/partners of shipping expats in Singapore (in reference to their husbands): Great job. No life.

Sadly this is mostly true.

Comment

Working...
                                X