No announcement yet.

Qantas A380 Premium Economy Revisited: QF2 from Singapore to Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My journey on QF1 ended in Singapore, but a large number of passengers onboard were continuing on QF1 to London, after a brief transit stop in Singapore.

The airside area in T1 was open and spacious -- this part of T1 where the Qantas flights arrived was especially calm and peaceful.

The transit process in Changi T1 is quite straightforward, once off the plane, you could either head to the shops, or proceed straight back to the holding area after security at the holding room itself.

The current T1 airside layout does not separate inbound and outbound pax, so there is no need to pass through a common screening channel to get from arrival to departure areas.

This looks to be a very pleasant (and efficient) transit process. Given the crowds that tend to occur frequently at the mass screening checkpoints in DXB, and the amount of walking that is sometimes required there, I am not surprised that many Qantas pax preferred transiting in SIN rather than DXB enroute from Australia to London.

Although I don't often do a transit stop in Singapore, I can definitely see the Changi transit experience in T1 as being a lot more pleasant than the typical transit stops in Dubai that I have experienced in the past.
    Last edited by yflyer; 21 October 2018, 10:49 PM.

Comment

As for the Changi T1 arrival experience, this is undergoing some change at the moment, as Changi puts the finishing touches on the new Jewel complex, but the airport has done a great job to ensure the arrival experience is pleasant.

The arrival area after baggage claim has temporary partitions to hide areas of construction, but these have been beautifully decorated with plants and pictures...

I was tempted to linger to read some of the descriptions of the artwork and exhibits...

...and parts the Jewel have, in fact, already been incorporated into the T1 Arrivals zone...

In all, a very pleasant arrival experience...where you do not get a sense that there is massive construction project going on at all...

..and the icing on the cake, no queue for taxis at 10.50pm in the evening...

Last edited by yflyer; 22 October 2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Final reflections?

A very pleasant flight in QF Economy on the A380. The A380 Economy hard product remains competitive: The Marc Newson carbon fibre A380 Y seat in particular remains a favourite of mine.

Catering onboard was good, and cabin service was friendly as well.

Now that QF flies the A380 to Singapore once again, I see myself flying them more to Australia, and even to London.

Are QF preferable to SQ in Economy? On balance, I still think SQ has a superior Economy class product across hard and soft product. However, the margin of difference is not large, and I find QF's economy class offering to be a very strong one.

As for Sydney, it remains one of my favourite cities to visit, and to run and dine in.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Ministry of Clouds!! In PY no less. Great to see our national carrier's support for small, lesser known, but by no means any less fabulous, wine producers
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            Ministry of Clouds!! In PY no less. Great to see our national carrier's support for small, lesser known, but by no means any less fabulous, wine producers
            Yes, a very promising new wine maker! This was the first time I tasted their wine...

A nice write-up on them here.

Comment

Another extensively thorough and beautiful TR with loads of great pics! Thanks yflyer!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                Another extensively thorough and beautiful TR with loads of great pics! Thanks yflyer!
                Thanks CarbonMan!

Comment

On PEY I have experienced on SQ in all its aircraft types, Qantas, Cathay and China Airlines. Having my most recent travel on China Airlines PEY on their A350, its surpasses SQ as it was only 7 across instead of 8 across on SQ's A350. But the clear winner for meals and overall would be Qantas. Essentially SQ and Cathay serves basically ey meals on PEY and China Airlines somewhat of a small mix but still more on the side of ey.
                  Last edited by flyguy; 25 November 2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X