H1N1 cases in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 cases in Singapore

Just received an unconfirmed SMS that H1N1 is now in SIN...

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
    I guess it was a matter of time for it to happen. With so many tourists going through Singapore. Time to stock up on N95 masks and tamiflu. Now where is this supposed hot pharmacist on SQTalk who has tons of tamiflu?

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      its confirmed now.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_382278.html

SINGAPORE has reported its first patient infected with the new A(H1N1) flu strain. The patient, a 22-year-old Singaporean woman, had been in New York from May 14 to 24, and arrived here on Tuesday morning.

Comment

Just got this
        The Straits Times
        27 May, 2009

SINGAPORE has reported its first patient infected with the new A(H1N1) flu strain.
        The patient, a 22-year-old Singaporean woman, had been in New York from May 14 to 24, and arrived here on Tuesday morning.
        While seated in row 55 on Singapore Airlines flight SQ25, she began to develop a cough, but she passed the thermal scanner at the airport later without being stopped, because she did not have a fever at the time.
        Later that morning, she went to a general practitioner who decided to send her to Tan Tock Seng Hospital via the special ambulance service 993 meant for suspected Influenza A (H1N1) cases.
        Laboratory test confirmed her infection at midnight on Tuesday.
        The patient is being treated at the TTH Communicable Disease Centre and is in stable condition.
        The Health Ministry said the patient has been vigilant in monitoring her condition and had sought immediate medical attention once she realised she was unwell.
        "Her attending GP, through his quick response in activating the 993 ambulance for the patient, had also helped to minimise the spread of infection from this case," said a ministry statement.
        The Health Ministry has begun contact tracing of those who have been in close contact with the patient.
        They will be quarantined and given antivirals to prevent them from developing the disease.
        The ministry asked passengers who had been seated in rows 52 to 58 on the same flight to call its hotline on 1800-333 9999, so that its officers can check on their health condition.
        The Ministry has reminded all medical practitioners and healthcare institutions to continue to be vigilant to suspect cases.
        Temperature screening for passengers entering Singapore at all checkpoints - land, sea and air - will continue.
        All passengers passing through or entering Singapore are given Health Alert Notices on board their flights, advising them to monitor their own health if they have been to affected areas and to seek medical attention immediately if they are not well.

Comment

Singapore confirms first H1N1 case

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_382278.html

The flight in question is a SQ 25 which the patient flown in from JFK on May 24. Authorities are looking for people who could be in possible contacts with her (Rows 52 to 58)
          Last edited by SINFJ; 27 May 2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I think there will be a second case.

But hope it doesnt

Comment

I hope it doesnt have the second case!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenPigeon View Post
                I think there will be a second case.

But hope it doesnt
                Sadly, it does seem likely. I do hope those in contact weren't infected, or at least, just a minor infection.

Comment

I believe she flew in on 9V-SPJ?

Comment

I don't see how quarantining those rows help. If the air ventilation system doesn't kill the virus, whenever she coughs, the virus will spread thru the aircraft.

Now if only I can get rid of my nagging cough so I can fly back to SIN....

Comment

Originally posted by ws8n View Post
                      Just sleep it off ...
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

She is flying from new york by SQ25...
                        so it's via frankfurt?

it's a b747-400 right?
                        What is the reg of the aircraft?

Comment

She is a SMU student who went to New York on a study trip.
                          Apparently this is not an "essential" travel.
                          SMU should not have endorsed the trip !!

Comment

Originally posted by ws8n View Post
                            I don't see how quarantining those rows help. If the air ventilation system doesn't kill the virus, whenever she coughs, the virus will spread thru the aircraft.

IIRC I read somewhere that the chance of virus spread inside the aircraft is minimal with the HEPA filter etc.? Anyone knows how true this is?

Hope your cough goes away soon, ws8n.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                              IIRC I read somewhere that the chance of virus spread inside the aircraft is minimal with the HEPA filter etc.? Anyone knows how true this is?

Hope your cough goes away soon, ws8n.
                              Better be safer than sorry... I guess the authorities are just fanning out everything just to err on the safe side.

Comment

Working...
                              X