ST: SIA likely to fly non-stop to Seattle from next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unionruler View Post
    What's in it for Air Canada? If they wanted the feeder traffic, they would have co-operated long ago. Like 30 years ago.
    Yep, AC have no interest. It's not like SQ can't handle cooperation or competition with *A partners, LH and UA being good examples respectively. SQ can't get the permissions they want to open up the Canadian market like they can in the US so I guess SEA is the next best thing.

Comment

Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
      I also note that an extra BNE 350 gets freed up around that time. I know 1 aircraft needs to go to the CHC flight but it looks like at least 2 aircraft are being pulled from BNE. If Seattle is less than daily then maybe 1 aircraft is sufficient, possibly with some extra time freed up through the short haul filler routes.

That will make things hard for IST though as there dont seem to be any other A350s to takeover. The 777-200ERs are surely due to leave soon though given there will only be 3 left at the end of the financial year. Maybe enough capcity can be freed up with more feeder routes being moved to the 350R or 787 and the Melbourne flight shifting to the 350R?

All this would leave the long haul 350 fleet pretty much fully utilized. It is possible some adjustments may occur given the 350R could be used for some more Aus flights to free up 777-300ERs and there are the two 777-300ERs that should come out of retrofit soon.
      Yes, I also wondered where that other BNE craft was going to head and there's been no announcement about IST, whereas there has been for CHC. I think IST is stuck with the last remaining 772ERs which have all had Y cabin and IFE upgrades at least. Shuffled in with other A350 long haul destinations, one plane could help start SEA 4 or 5x weekly I would think. There is a bit of slack mid-week as it is. Weekends are very busy though.

MEL's A350 is of no use in terms of capacity for long hauls- it fits between gaps essentially. The key to operating another A350 longhaul is you must free the aircraft at 0300 SIN time. That is peak hour for A350 usage. If an existing flight is not in the air at that time, then it's of no use in freeing up capacity, which is why BNE's three A350s are of use but MEL, BOM or HND are not.

I can't see 77Ws to SYD and MEL being replaced by A350 regionals due to product offerings. F and PEY seem to have good markets to both destinations and the long haul J product is also pretty much standard now across all flights. SQ288 might possibly be an exception- I haven't heard how the SYD-CBR triangular is going, although given it is SYD's only red-eye option to SIN, they probably want a better J product on it than the A350R. I have also thought though that it's possible we could see another flow of long haul A350s start at some point, however. They do have an awful lot of them on order and they seem to have done very well so far in giving them an economical long haul aircraft to compete with on Euro sectors.

Comment

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ity-seattle-in

It is confirmed.
        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

It will not be a issue for SIA to launch its flight to Seattle in only september 2019, as the A359 can easily make the flight and would usually be less than the 14-16 hours journey as stated. The other matter is how many of the remainder orders of the A350s will be the standard 3 class and the regional 2 class Regional version.

Comment

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s.../ne3718-181101

Comment

Press release from SQ.

Subject to regulatory approvals, flight SQ28 will initially depart Singapore at 0925hrs every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and arrive in Seattle at 0905hrs on the same day (all times local). The return sector, operated as SQ27, will depart Seattle at 1040hrs every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and arrive in Singapore the following day at 1730hrs. From October 2019, flight SQ28 and flight SQ27 will operate every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Comment

I am glad they will have regular economy on these flights, and not just business and premium economy.

Comment

Seems silly to not launch sooner with 3x when they're so confident of demand to add freq to 4x by Oct 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post

Press release from SQ.

Subject to regulatory approvals, flight SQ28 will initially depart Singapore at 0925hrs every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and arrive in Seattle at 0905hrs on the same day (all times local). The return sector, operated as SQ27, will depart Seattle at 1040hrs every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and arrive in Singapore the following day at 1730hrs. From October 2019, flight SQ28 and flight SQ27 will operate every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Seems the flight is position to feeding connecting flight? If I am not wrong other Asian carriers (BR/CI/NH) are arriving close to midnight and have early morning (just past midnight) departure
                    Last edited by lingua101; 2 November 2018, 12:46 PM.
                    visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post

Press release from SQ.

Just saw the posts from Instagram from both the changiairport and singaporeair page on the launch. I guess this was after all the 4th unnamed US destination, though not operated with the ULR.

Comment

10 months, that's a pretty long lead time before the launch of the flights. Now there's another option for me to fly from SIN and connect to AS. The only issue is the early departure from SEA, like EWR, which limits connecting opportunities from other parts of the U.S.

Hope SEA will be a success for SQ!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                          10 months, that's a pretty long lead time before the launch of the flights. Now there's another option for me to fly from SIN and connect to AS. The only issue is the early departure from SEA, like EWR, which limits connecting opportunities from other parts of the U.S.

Hope SEA will be a success for SQ!
                          It's an incredibly long lead time- almost a full year. I'm guessing another A350 long haul will quietly be taken off BNE as another A350 regional is slotted in. IST is looking at being the last 772ER destination at this rate.

Comment

Interesting that SQ is recycling SQ28/27 as the flight numbers previously used for the retired SIN-TPE-LAX vv sectors, which were cancelled a decade ago. SQ28 had eventually replaced SQ6 as flight designator after the latter's tragic crash 18 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              It's an incredibly long lead time- almost a full year. I'm guessing another A350 long haul will quietly be taken off BNE as another A350 regional is slotted in. IST is looking at being the last 772ER destination at this rate.
                              After the relatively weak start of their EWR non-stop, I think they are ramping up marketing earlier to try and ramp up awareness early.

Checking SQ's website shows that PEY seats on the inaugural flight is going for $1,767 and then drops down to $1,500+ after that. J seats are S$3,817. PEY on ANA's SIN-SEA is priced higher at $1,900.

Competition is good.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                                After the relatively weak start of their EWR non-stop, I think they are ramping up marketing earlier to try and ramp up awareness early.

Checking SQ's website shows that PEY seats on the inaugural flight is going for $1,767 and then drops down to $1,500+ after that. J seats are S$3,817. PEY on ANA's SIN-SEA is priced higher at $1,900.

Competition is good.
                                J seats at S$3817 sounds like a very good deal for SQ as well...

Comment

Working...
                                X