No announcement yet.

So, what will get you back on board ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a world where our leaders think that easing restrictions means that your kids or grandkids can visit you - but of course not more than two any given day - and you get thrown into jail if you visit your brother or sister, I don’t expect rules onboard our national carrier to make any more sense.

I don’t know any other enclosed room besides hospitals that have better filters and for decades people on board of planes have survived any kind of contagious outbreaks for decades because of that.

Maybe some people should look at the xxx,000 people that got infected in dormitories and should carefully re-assess how much of a ‘killer’ this virus really is for anyone in the age bracket of 20 to 50.

No one is forced to forgo social distancing or expose him- or herself to any danger and we need to protect the elderly but can we get some sanity back in the world where people acknowledge the risks they are exposing themselves to and stop creating zero risk environments?

And by all means: if a temperature or health check takes 5 minutes, I will not show up at the airport two hours earlier.

I confirmed my flights in July and I can’t wait to sit by the window and view this world from 33,000 feet again and look at life like I always did: cool, calm and collected.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
      No one is forced to forgo social distancing or expose him- or herself to any danger and we need to protect the elderly but can we get some sanity back in the world where people acknowledge the risks they are exposing themselves to and stop creating zero risk environments?

And by all means: if a temperature or health check takes 5 minutes, I will not show up at the airport two hours earlier.
      It's not the risks you are happy to expose upon yourself, it's the risk you then pose to others after you have accepted said risk for yourself. Singapore is its own little bubble and I see by the number of people not taking the necessary steps seriously enough, that most are isolated from understanding the effects of the virus.

Unfortunately we've seen that temperature tests are not the answer, we need actual quick testing and/or anti-body testing and i think they said, at the moment, they are working on getting testing times to ~15min.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
        I don’t know any other enclosed room besides hospitals that have better filters and for decades people on board of planes have survived any kind of contagious outbreaks for decades because of that.
        I very much agree with your sentiments! My only caveat in the above paragraph, as the original SARS did prove to be highly contagious on flights, see e.g. China Air 112. While the current strain is different, I am a bit more cautious in ruling out the possibility of asymptomatic or presymptomatic transmission in an aircraft cabin.

But I think I am capable of making my own risk assessment, and am increasingly chafing at the extreme restrictions imposed upon us while it's the economic damage that is increasing exponentially (well, non-linearly at least) with no end in sight.

Comment

If the outbound/inbound quarantine rules are finally gone, I will leave the next day.
          My bet was that Korea and Singapore will come to some bilateral agreement, but now it might be China to open first.

Comment

A vaccine

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
              It's not the risks you are happy to expose upon yourself, it's the risk you then pose to others after you have accepted said risk for yourself. Singapore is its own little bubble and I see by the number of people not taking the necessary steps seriously enough, that most are isolated from understanding the effects of the virus.
              If I want to invite people to my house that are not my children, both parties decide whether they want to accept the risk. We can meet with masks or without but after that visit I am alone in my house and when I go shopping I wear a mask. So I don’t expose anyone to unwanted risks and when it comes to flying, sorry, elderly people might not be able to do that at the moment given that’s not a risk-free environment. Managing risk cannot mean that everyone on flights has to wear full-body protective gear and flight attendants can drop sealed drinks and meals and that’s it.

Singapore’s bubble has achieved nothing because our super clean little city is so virus-free that we can never meet again as the first person coming to Singapore with the virus would trigger a new lock down.

Tracking and tracing worked very well in the beginning and with increased testing capabilities there is no reason to lock away over 4 million people ‘just to make sure’.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                I very much agree with your sentiments! My only caveat in the above paragraph, as the original SARS did prove to be highly contagious on flights, see e.g. China Air 112. While the current strain is different, I am a bit more cautious in ruling out the possibility of asymptomatic or presymptomatic transmission in an aircraft cabin.

But I think I am capable of making my own risk assessment, and am increasingly chafing at the extreme restrictions imposed upon us while it's the economic damage that is increasing exponentially (well, non-linearly at least) with no end in sight.
                Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know about that. Looks like 3 million infections for Covid-19 have luckily not seen a similar super spreader event. Plus the CA 112 incident doesn’t take into account new measures like distancing in Economy and wearing masks to reduce the risk further.

I didn’t mean to say there is no risk when flying and droplet infections in Economy without any distancing or masks are actually very much possible.

Comment

I wont be traveling for leisure until theres a vaccine.

Comment

Has always got to do with quarantine and mask wearing on the plane, esp on long hauls.

May not fly long haul if mandated to wear masks on flight (since the wiki says on CA112 says in plane transmission rates are generally very low, only this exception). Not sure if I'm able to wear mask through the flight for long haul flights, after developing habit of breathing with mouth when mask is on.

Being in SIN, body is accustom to high humidity levels. Plane has very dry air, so I usually drink lots of water. Would also be troublesome to keep sipping water with masks on.

Will not fly if any quarantine. If fly for work, usually only go to destination for a few days, no point extending to weeks.
                    Looks like COVID-19 transmits more face to face, so more like when meeting people during trade shows. Masks for that seems more appropriate than on the plane (esp when I'm enjoying in J or F).

Comment

As I've experienced flying with a face mask for 5 hours back during the end of February(essential travel), I'll say it won't be comfortable to fly on longer flights when it's required to use masks, so leisure travel is definitely off the list. Another reason not to travel to mention the 2 weeks quarantine rule in most places, which is most likely to remain for quite some time.

Until it's safe enough to travel, I'll stay here in Taiwan and won't go back to Indonesia most likely until January 2021. I missed travel and getting onboard already, but good things come to those who wait, I guess.

Comment

As long as Stay Home Notice or Quarantine stops at both points of origin and points of arrival, I will be travelling again.
                        I think Coronavirus is not a big deal and we already have kinda a treatment plan and vaccine developing from Australia and Oxford University.
                        Hope we can travel again by September.

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                          I think Coronavirus is not a big deal and we already have kinda a treatment plan and vaccine developing from Australia and Oxford University.
                          I tend to believe that we may face a similar development as we did during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. When the vaccine finally became available in large numbers, the pandemic was contained and not many people bothered about the vaccine any more.
                          The broad public has not heard much of H1N1 thereafter (even so the virus is still out there somewhere).

Comment

As long as Stay Home Notice or Quarantine stops at both points of origin and points of arrival, I will be travelling again.
                            It is a big deal to the vulnerable age groups. That's why Mr "if I get Corona I get Corona" got the backlash he did. A developing vaccine isn't the same as a developed (and available) vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                              I tend to believe that we may face a similar development as we did during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. When the vaccine finally became available in large numbers, the pandemic was contained and not many people bothered about the vaccine any more.
                              The broad public has not heard much of H1N1 thereafter (even so the virus is still out there somewhere).
                              It's hard to tell, really, since the scale of this pandemic is unprecedented in recent decades. There is also a possibility that COVID-19 will be like seasonal influenza with annual vaccinations highly recommended.

Comment

Whilst I agree that some travel may be possible by September (I, among many, have work to do overseas) but the nature of travel will likely make it very uncomfortable.

I think 350k deaths in, basically, 4.5months really IS a big deal..... the US' 100k is just 3months. Now seeing Brazil and Russia numbers take off.

If we can get a useable vaccine by year's end, good luck to us.

Comment

Working...
                                X