Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upstairs, Downstairs! First Trip on SIA's New A380 to Sydney: SQ221/232 SIN-SYD-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
    Most definitely a TR tour de force! Well done, yflyer or is it RFLYER now, as SQGamespeed suggests!

The photography is super! The details are comprehensive!
    Thanks, CarbonMan! I think daylight flights like SQ232 provide the best lighting for cabin photos!

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
    Sam Chui, watch out!
    No lah...Sam Chui is a legend! I am just an amateur!

Comment

• Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
      My god yflyer, the only thing more impressive than your always-excellent trip reports are your amazing runs! You must be quite the distance/endurance runner.

And then there are the food pics...

How did you score 71K? Did you have to pay for that seat?

Am now just about to start reading your return flight in R (can’t wait) but had to leave these comments first!
      Thanks, eminere™! Glad you enjoy the TRs! Actually I don't consider myself a serious runner...but I do find that long slow runs are a great way to destress, not to mention sightsee!

I have always enjoyed a nice meal, but I blame Mrs yflyer for encouraging the development of my inner gourmet

As for 71K, the funny thing is...that wasn't even my original allocated seat. It was unoccupied at time of online selection, and I couldn't bring myself to pay $$ for it. But onboard, I swapped with a lady who was originally allocated 71K. She probably didn't pay for it and must have been assigned that seat as a last minute check-in. It was her idea to swap, not mine! She preferred my aisle seat to 71K, so I happily swapped.

Comment

• Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
        If you don’t mind me asking, did it cost you a lot of cash + miles to upgrade from economy to Suites? Was there a reason you elected to travel in Suites on the return flight home, instead of ex-SIN where you could’ve enjoyed TPR?
        The cash upgrade from Y to J was fairly expensive as mine was a flexible discount Y fare class, not an unrestricted full fare Y ticket.

As for points, it was 90,000 Krisflyer Points for a one-way Business to Suite Advantage Upgrade (Advantage Award=What used to be called Standard Award, I think.). For a Saver upgrade it is a more reasonable 50K points, but it was not available.

I chose SQ232 as the cash portion of the upgrade was slightly cheaper than SQ221, and it was a daytime flight -- better for photos and checking out the product.

As for the TPR, that can wait for another time!

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
        I think it’s so odd that a candle is offered as an inflight amenity. I hope there are instructions not to light it onboard in case people get too carried away!
        The candle came with a big warning note: "DO NOT USE IN AIRCRAFT"!

I still can’t believe no one at SQ realised (or cared) that there is zero privacy during meal service or when you’re watching TV, with the suite doors open
        Yes, the fact that you are sitting across from the other Suite pax across the aisle during meal service is something others have commented on too. But StarG mentioned in another thread, you can also request the door be closed during meal service. As for other times, the Suite door is usually closed, so you do get very good privacy...

Thank you for another immensely enjoyable TR yflyer.
        Thanks again for reading, eminere™!
        Last edited by yflyer; 23 February 2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          "generous"?!? It totally shank.

See the discussion: http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6011

What was the rational for for going with lobster from BOSTON?

Trust me, as mentioned many times, that lamb shank curry is OUTSTANDING!!

"HUGE" should always be in all caps and bold.
          My prior experience with the lamb shank curry catered out of SIN was terrible. I had two difference entree's, both were hideous! Perhaps the crew did not take sufficient time to warm the meat to its proper serving temperature. Also, I think the Indian food does not travel well at 35K altitude. I dare say, Suites catering out of FRA and JFK was better than SIN. Also, the TPR was a let-down. I think I have a photo of the lamb shank from my flight below.

Fantastic trip report YFlyer! The new Suites look gorgeous!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/583/2...10324f3c_z.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by LifeInCMH View Post
            Fantastic trip report YFlyer! The new Suites look gorgeous!
            Thanks very much, LifeInCMH!

Comment

• Fabulous TR and photos...thank you for the time and effort to post! We have recently flown both Sq A380s with the new suite configurations from Syd -Sin (9V-SKV) and Sin-Hkg (9V-SKU) both in 1A and 2A. The tickets were a bargain at 63,750 KF miles + AUD 278.42 per ticket which were booked nearly a year prior, pre KF miles devaluation; and we waited with bated breath as first the Syd-Sin leg, then the Sin-Hkg leg were switched to the new suites configuration...it was like winning the lottery, twice!!

When the divider is down between 1A and 2A, it feels like your own private hotel room with double bed as shown below:

I like this photo below of my better 1/2 looking out the window:

I rate the new SQ A380 F suites on par (? slightly better) with Etihad's A380 F apartments

For me, there are a few negatives: Personally, I would have loved a shower on board ala EK and EY, and there is cetainly space in the bathroom for this. The gaps / spaces in the sliding door are too big for complete privacy (No, not thinking of you know what here ). I think the beds are on the hard side too. Also companion dining is not great....one 1/2 has to sit on the portable ottoman which is not great.

Also, I can see the swivel mechanism on the chair, and the divider between 1A/2A and 1F/2F getting stuck / jammed after a while (the latter has already happened), and it is going to lead to some unhappy F passengers.

But overall, an absolute dream and privilige to fly! It is wow, wow, wow...

Comment

• Wow kpc. Some awesome photos there. I believe this is the first time we see non-marketing material for the double Suite. And it’s stunningly looking luxurious and indulging.

I have to agree about the shower. Nothing feels better than a shower esp after an overnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by kpc View Post
                  Fabulous TR and photos...thank you for the time and effort to post! We have recently flown both Sq A380s with the new suite configurations from Syd -Sin (9V-SKV) and Sin-Hkg (9V-SKU) both in 1A and 2A. The tickets were a bargain at 63,750 KF miles + AUD 278.42 per ticket which were booked nearly a year prior, pre KF miles devaluation; and we waited with bated breath as first the Syd-Sin leg, then the Sin-Hkg leg were switched to the new suites configuration...it was like winning the lottery, twice!!
                  Hi kpc! Thanks for your note, and your post!

Very nice pictures, and glad you got to try 1A/2A as a double suite. Sounds like you had a very memorable experience overall on these two flights!

Comment

• This is a spectacular, spectacular trip report! And I haven't even finished reading through the entire thing, it is so wonderfully detailed! Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratoliner777 View Post
                      This is a spectacular, spectacular trip report! And I haven't even finished reading through the entire thing, it is so wonderfully detailed! Thank you!
                      Thanks, Stratoliner777! Glad you are enjoying the TR!

Comment

• Originally posted by kpc View Post
                        Fabulous TR and photos...thank you for the time and effort to post! We have recently flown both Sq A380s with the new suite configurations from Syd -Sin (9V-SKV) and Sin-Hkg (9V-SKU) both in 1A and 2A. The tickets were a bargain at 63,750 KF miles + AUD 278.42 per ticket which were booked nearly a year prior, pre KF miles devaluation; and we waited with bated breath as first the Syd-Sin leg, then the Sin-Hkg leg were switched to the new suites configuration...it was like winning the lottery, twice!!

When the divider is down between 1A and 2A, it feels like your own private hotel room with double bed as shown below:

I like this photo below of my better 1/2 looking out the window:

I rate the new SQ A380 F suites on par (? slightly better) with Etihad's A380 F apartments

For me, there are a few negatives: Personally, I would have loved a shower on board ala EK and EY, and there is cetainly space in the bathroom for this. The gaps / spaces in the sliding door are too big for complete privacy (No, not thinking of you know what here ). I think the beds are on the hard side too. Also companion dining is not great....one 1/2 has to sit on the portable ottoman which is not great.

Also, I can see the swivel mechanism on the chair, and the divider between 1A/2A and 1F/2F getting stuck / jammed after a while (the latter has already happened), and it is going to lead to some unhappy F passengers.

But overall, an absolute dream and privilige to fly! It is wow, wow, wow...
                        Hi KPC congrats on winning the jackpot on your flights. May I just ask if they give out any pyjamas and the Lalique amenity kit for the Hong Kong sector?

Recently my waitlist for new suites got cleared for the Hong Kong sector and I’m hoping they would give them out for this new destination on the new a380!

Still wondering if I should bite the bullet and confirm the Hong Kong new suites or continue waiting ?forever? for my Sydney new suites waitlists to clear.......oh man

Comment

• Originally posted by vader View Post
                          May I just ask if they give out any pyjamas and the Lalique amenity kit for the Hong Kong sector?
                          Only got it on the Syd- Sin sector, not the Sin-Hkg sector.

Comment

Working...
                          X