Coronavirus : Flight cancellations and contingencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by maestro View Post
    I just received an email from Singapore Airlines about our refund request, but I find it odd for a number of reasons, including, that our flight was from Istanbul-Sydney, not to Bangkok, and I do not feel comfortable to send a photo of our credit card via email. I find this email from SQ rather unprofessional. At first, I thought it a fake, but the PNR and Ticket Number are correct, as is my name and the last 4 digits of the credit card, also correct. The email address is xxxxx_xxxxx@singaporeair.com.sg

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Dear Mr xxxxx ,

We have found out you have asked for full refund for your ticket from Istanbul to Bangkok under ticket number xxxxx .

Please kindly note that our colleagues tried to refund the ticket and found out your credit card used this card with 4 last digits, xxxx has already expired.
    Can you kindly give us the new details for this credit card or any alternate card detail and fill in the attached form so that we can refund your money to the new credit card.

Please kindly send us the photo of your new credit card and your id with your passport as well.

Best Regards ,

xxxxx xxxxx
    Senior Sales Operations (Groups) Associate
    Singapore Airlines
    It still does sound like a scam. Check the actual recipient email address after you hit the reply button. Singaporeair.com.sg is legit, although more normally its singaporeair.com (without the .sg)

Btw the airline has made publicly clear not to send your credit card details via phone or email. Best to call them.

Comment

Please kindly send us the photo of your new credit card and your id with your passport as well.
      This sets off many alarms bells for me!

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
        It still does sound like a scam. Check the actual recipient email address after you hit the reply button. Singaporeair.com.sg is legit, although more normally its singaporeair.com (without the .sg)

Btw the airline has made publicly clear not to send your credit card details via phone or email. Best to call them.
        Yes, the email address when I hit the reply button is the same: name_name@singaporeair.com.sg

It just seems so strange.

Comment

• From next week and into June SQ will fly daily to LHR but only three flights per week with pax, the other four will be cargo only for now. That leaves the option to increase pax capacity if, by some chance, demand increases.

Comment

Yes, the email address when I hit the reply button is the same: name_name@singaporeair.com.sg

It just seems so strange.
            “We have found out...”

That’s really badly worded English for a formal business letter. I would alert SQ immediately about this email. No way could their official practice be to ask for photos of credit cards. Something definitely isn’t right.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              “We have found out...”

That’s really badly worded English for a formal business letter. I would alert SQ immediately about this email. No way could their official practice be to ask for photos of credit cards. Something definitely isn’t right.
              So...

I called Singapore Airlines and sent them the email I had received. Here was their reply.

"Hi xxxxx,

Thank you for your email.

The email you have received is legitimate and sent to you by our colleagues. You may wish to return the indemnity form attached for them to process your refund.

Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,
              Singapore Airlines Limited"

I found the whole thing quite unprofessional, to say the least. In the end, I wrote back, corrected them on the incorrect city pairing and kindly refused to send a photo of my credit card by email.

Comment

So...

I called Singapore Airlines and sent them the email I had received. Here was their reply.

"Hi xxxxx,

Thank you for your email.

The email you have received is legitimate and sent to you by our colleagues. You may wish to return the indemnity form attached for them to process your refund.

Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,
                Singapore Airlines Limited"

I found the whole thing quite unprofessional, to say the least. In the end, I wrote back, corrected them on the incorrect city pairing and kindly refused to send a photo of my credit card by email.
                Even if legitimately from SQ, I would not send a photo of my credit card. Rather do it over the phone. Doesn't SQ have that automated system whereby you're not even talking to a person when submitting your credit card details over the phone, but transferred to a bot?

Comment

• Just did a check on singaporeair.com.sg It is a domain own by SQ but it’s only for domain name lock-in purpose so that no one else can use. Many companies do that to prevent others from stealing their namesake or posing as them

However it is NEVER ok to provide any CC details over email as it is unsecured. I also never give to human over phone these days and only accept bot input.

As mentioned it is legit email but poorly executed. Poster should consider submitting a feedback to CAAS on SQ staff behavior on requesting for CC details over email it should never happen especially not in 2020 and with PDPA

Comment

• I guess they might be using additional or less trained staff to do all this processing but I’m astounded at how badly executed this was.

Comment

• Something interesting happening on the SQ website today. I notice that many connecting flights can no longer be booked for the entire month of July today (example: any destinations from SYD to Europe). Yesterday, they were all available to book, but today, not.

If it means what I think it means, then I'll have to start looking for another airline, due to work commitments in July.

Comment

• Presumably they need to change the backend rules to accommodate CAAS requirements for transit passengers come 2 June, so they just disabled everything first.
                        an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Flew back to Sydney from Singapore on Tuesday 26 May. I might do a trip report but let me sum up for now.

Was directed to use the Silver Kris Lounge at Changi as I have A3 Star Gold status. Less than 10 people in lounge. No buffet style spread. You place your order and a staff will deliver the food to you. Options include burger, dim sum, pasta.

Not sure how many people were onboard SQ 211. First was closed off. Business had one passenger. I think there were 40 pax or less onboard. Had a purple kebaya as the IFS for the flight. Crew were wearing googles and face masks.

Meal service was reduced to one meal comprising main (nasi lemak + egg + chicken + green means), one bread roll wrapped in plastic + cup water. No menu. Food orders and drink orders were taken and delivered from the cabin. Mini magnum for dessert. No second meal (refreshment service). Crew went around the cabin with snacks. Was offered cup noodles which I took up.

Landed at 640pm in Sydney. Reached hotel (Sofitel Sydney) for quarantine at around 9-ish. There was a slight delay as the authorities were processing the UA flight which arrived earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                            Flew back to Sydney from Singapore on Tuesday 26 May. I might do a trip report but let me sum up for now.

Was directed to use the Silver Kris Lounge at Changi as I have A3 Star Gold status. Less than 10 people in lounge. No buffet style spread. You place your order and a staff will deliver the food to you. Options include burger, dim sum, pasta.

Not sure how many people were onboard SQ 211. First was closed off. Business had one passenger. I think there were 40 pax or less onboard. Had a purple kebaya as the IFS for the flight. Crew were wearing googles and face masks.

Meal service was reduced to one meal comprising main (nasi lemak + egg + chicken + green means), one bread roll wrapped in plastic + cup water. No menu. Food orders and drink orders were taken and delivered from the cabin. Mini magnum for dessert. No second meal (refreshment service). Crew went around the cabin with snacks. Was offered cup noodles which I took up.

Landed at 640pm in Sydney. Reached hotel (Sofitel Sydney) for quarantine at around 9-ish. There was a slight delay as the authorities were processing the UA flight which arrived earlier.
                            It would be great if you could document the quarantine too! I have to fly back in July for university and I'm dreading the whole process.

Comment

• Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                              Presumably they need to change the backend rules to accommodate CAAS requirements for transit passengers come 2 June, so they just disabled everything first.
                              Dear yuuka_miya,

Thank you, I never thought of this! This is what I love about this SQTalk community ))

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinghigher View Post
                                It would be great if you could document the quarantine too! I have to fly back in July for university and I'm dreading the whole process.
                                Sure.

Are you an international student in Australia? Which state are you based in?

I'm not sure if the Australia government would let you in at the moment if you are on a student visa. There is talk of letting international students come in, but nothing is sure as yet.

I've been in quarantine for three days so far and I'm still coping.

Comment

Working...
                                X