Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
    Sounds like an aircraft in need of a retrofit pending the arrival of new aircraft 5 years down the road. Well, maybe they should put a couple of Spacebeds or Skysuites in Erawan's lobby. OK I'm getting cranky. Been a long day.
    Lol! Then that will be the hotel's cheapest rooms. Common rooms in a 5 star premier hotel, very nice. Maybe USD100 a night for all the noise pollution and the lack of baths and all the amenity kits in the room...

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
    I'm not sure of the cafe's name, but it's the one where everybody goes for breakfast. You step out of the cafe, cut across the centre of the hotel (where the Front Desk is) and end up at the ballroom. The entire first floor is in the shape of a square, very compact. Very unlike say, Shangri-La Jakarta, where the (huge) cafe and ballroom are on different floors, and you have to make twists and turns to get to where you want to go.
    Ah, then that's it, The Dining Room. That hotel is quite an old hotel, opened in 1959 taken over by Hyatt in the 90s. Given its layout, its convenient unlike the one in Singapore where all the ballrooms are scattered over three floors. Grand Hyatt Singapore is easy anyway, just need to go up the escalators and there you are.

Comment

Any views on the Peninsula ? I currently have a booking there for next Saturday - another trip to BKK (the CX J return fare from SIN for only S$498 all inclusive is too good to pass up!).

I've stayed before at the Shangri-La (needs renovating) and an i.sawan spa cottage at the Grand Hyatt Erawan (expensive but very good - your own treatment room; a fridge with complimentary homemade ice cream, juices, fruits, etc; a private outdoor patio; an iPod full of chill out music; etc).

Comment

SGS vs. Plaza Athenee

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        I liked the Westin on Sukhumvhit Rd. It's also right outside a Skytrain station. The whole hotel is very slick, and the rooms are nice and modern. Some people might not appreciate having to take 2 lifts to get to their rooms though...

I do not like grand hotels and so I've never stayed at the Sheraton Grande across the road but my parents rave about the service there.

Will be checking out the Plaza Athenee Le Meridien next month.
        I've been to the SGS before PALM came in. Does anyone have a comparison? I there's a debate of MO vs. Pen going on at FT right now, but I was wondering about these two. I can tell you this: the SGS has an AWESOME brunch.

Oh, and I hated the Sukhothai (reasons posted on the MO vs. Pen FT debate)...
        HUGE AL

Comment

I think maybe you could try Novotel Siam Square. Don't think it's 5 star though. To me, convenience is the more important factor.

P.S. Any one using AsiaTravel?
          Last edited by nykelaz; 28 August 2007, 03:46 PM.
          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Arnoma Hotel is actually quite comfy. Take a look: http://www.arnoma.com/
            Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I always stay at the Peninsula in Bangkok. My comments on it are in the thread HUGE AL mentioned and many others in the Luxury Hotels forum on TOF. Search there for my screenname and Peninsula Bangkok, and you'll have lots to read.

Comment

That thread is a funny one at that MegatopLover!
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
                  I'm thinking of Swissotel Nai Lert Park, stayed there before and its quite good (though its a long walk from Skytrain station).
                  Currently at Nai Lert Park for my first time.
                  I've to say i like the hotel and i'm pretty satisfied. The ratio quality/money is terryfic.
                  Exec Club room is ok, well furnished. Lounge benefits and complimentary wi-fi or wired internet access.
                  Service is really attentive and spontaneous.
                  Lobby is pretty nice.
                  Gardens and Pool amazing.
                  SPA and fitness are could be better but ok.

Honestly if I didn't know to be in BKK, i wouldn't say it: the hotel is a little trasure in this cahotic city but differently from Sukhothai you don't have to walk for miles and miles to go out.

ONly negative side: many taxi drivers don't know the hotel so cannot bring you here if you cannot provide a business card in thai.

Luke

Pics will follow.
                  There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                  If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

That's the old Hilton, next to the British Embassy.

I have to say I'm not a fan personally, especially with the other options you have there. As a matter of interest, how much are you paying ?.

Comment

3300 THB /day (Exec room, all lounge benefits, wi-fi internet, 2 pcs of laundry and various discounts abt non-core facilities). Isn't bad, is it?

I agree there are better hotels (IC, Westin, Conrad, Banyan, Sukhothai and so on) but never seen similar rates at those property.

Comment

There's a few good ones but i like this one in Sathorn, All Seasons Sathorn.

Breakfast / Wireless Internet / Safe box / King size bed

forgive my mess...

Next to the Malaysian Embassy.

JWNY
                        drink Coke...save water

Comment

Ooh! Finally a thread I can be good at.

The latest hotel pulling in all the high-flyers is the Pullman Hotel (top-end of the Accor group) in Bangkok. It's in Rangnam (near Pratunam/Pathumwan) which is where the ZEN (ex-World Trade Centre) shopping centre is located.

They have a 'golden tuk-tuk' service that takes you just out of the hotel compound to the Skytrain, which is not even a 5-minute walk (the hotel is located on a massive landscaped compound because it's connected to the Bangkok King Power Duty Free). The Skytrain is only 2 stops away from Siam city centre (MBK-Paragon area).

Think very spacious. Michelin-star chefs (for 1,200baht, that's dirt cheap). And their executive suite has a bathtub bigger than my small Singaporean 2nd bathroom.

Cost is around 90usd per night (begins at 2,700baht for superior, 3,000 for exec deluxe and 3,300 for exec suite).

So far I've tried the Deluxe (2 weekends ago) and the Suite (Christmas-New Year last year) but would definitely do the Suite again next round. 5-star all the way without the cost.

For absolute budget (20-30usd a night), book the Ibis Siam through the Accor website online. It's also in the same area as the Pullman. Since LX arrives Bangkok close to 11pm, I generally book my first night at the Ibis, wake up early and check into the Pullman for the rest of my stay.

Free 1 piece laundry per day, iPod dock (iPod not included), complimentary Internet, Skylounge with breakfast/evening drinks/snacks and desserts in-between for Exec-room/suite-rs, great cheap room service, and plush, plush ameneties/carpets, crazy fruit baskets (I got a pineapple once wrapped in a huge leaf filled with fruit salad complimentary). And you can ask them to send a coconut to the poolside as your welcome drink. Also really cheap lunch/dinner promos.

The bar can get pricey depending how/what you order, so be careful.

Forget the Lebua State Tower recommended by Conde Nast. Pullman is by far the most modern, value-for-money secret that just hit Bangkok.

Fantastic. And since I'm under the Accor Advantage Plus program, I get 2-for-1 eating treats also, which I've abused a fair bit..

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                            3300 THB /day (Exec room, all lounge benefits, wi-fi internet, 2 pcs of laundry and various discounts abt non-core facilities). Isn't bad, is it?

Shit..how did you get that rate ?
                            I checked in on 21st April for 4000THB/day + tax..and that is just a normal room without lounge benefits. This is a corporate rate.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              I do not like grand hotels and so I've never stayed at the Sheraton Grande across the road but my parents rave about the service there.
                              I tried the Sheraton Grande the other week and whilst the decor doesn't appeal to me, what I did appreciate very much was them extending my checkout time to 8pm (in time for the SQ evening flight to NRT) without hesitation as a PLT.

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post
                                Shit..how did you get that rate ?
                                I checked in on 21st April for 4000THB/day + tax..and that is just a normal room without lounge benefits. This is a corporate rate.
                                maybe you have to be CSG. Enroll and try ù

@Jhm:thank you for reminding me that a 6pm guaranteed checkout is included in the rate

Comment

Working...
                                X