No announcement yet.

Die, die, must try! -- Eating out in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for Udders - nice place to cool down in S'pore !

Comment

John Thai, Balestier Food Court

post deleted
      Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL
        Pretty sure we have a couple threads going already...
        Indeed we do:
        http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...ting+singapore
        http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...ting+singapore

SQtraveller, you may like to post in those threads instead

Comment

881 XO Fish Head Beehoon, Balestier

post deleted

Comment

La Brezza @ The Regis Hotel, Singapore

post deleted

Comment

post deleted

Comment

Yan Ting Restaurant Weekend Dim Sum Brunch Buffet, St Regis Hotel

post deleted

Comment

Gl0betrekka's restaurant list

post deleted
                  Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Royal China at Raffles Hotel

post deleted
                    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:48 AM.

Comment

In a reply to a question I posed in a recent TR, KeithMEL listed some of his favourite restaurants and bars in Singapore...

His list reproduced here for reference (All intellectual property rights remain KeithMEL's )

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      I haven't been to the (in)famous Atlas, which everyone is now raving about! We were last in Singapore a few days after Chinese New Year and it wasn't open. But that aside there are some brilliant ones, mainly around Chinatown or Boat Quay...
                      - 28 Hong Kong Street - number 25 on World's Top 50 bar list
                      - Ah Sam's Cold Drinks Stall - crazy flavour combos that work! With a very local twist as the name suggests. One of the most memorable drinks I've ever had was from here, involving dragon beard candy.
                      - Employees Only - needs no introduction
                      - Tippling Club - love their menus which allow you to taste an element of the cocktail before you order; last time I went it was a gummy bear menu and previously it was a scent menu. Number 31 on the World's Top 50 bar list and they also serve an amazing modern Australian degustation with an insane cocktail pairing. They were opened by the guys behind Der Raum, one of the best cocktail bars in Melbourne before they upped sticks overseas.
                      - Spiffy Dapper
                      - Butcher Boy
                      - Auld Alliance - for whisk(e)y. Has a pretty staid ambience but can't be beaten for scale and variety of whisk(e)y.

There are quite a few very good ones along Jalan Amoy and Keong Saik Road but I am bad with names... It's also comparatively expensive to bar hop in Singapore, relative to say Hong Kong, often feel like I need to sell an organ or 2 after a huge night lol. Food is competitively priced at the mid-high end restaurants by Asian standards so it probably all evens out.

Current fave for food - Cure (same owner as Butcher Boy). Very inventive yet stripped back and honest contemporary European menu and easy on the wallet. You can get Michelin star quality without the price tag here and the chef personally serves at least one of the courses and is more than happy to stick around your table for a chat. Of course I'd like to be able to eat at Odette or JAAN more frequently but I'd have a lot less to spend on cocktails and shopping.

Would love to try Labyrinth for food (next on my ever growing and long foodie list), a modern Singaporean hawker food degustation restaurant that turns familiar street foods on their heads. I've been asked to check out Burnt Ends and Cheek by Jowl, but it feels odd travelling to another country to try Aussie restaurants haha (Tippling Club aside but that's only because I know the guys from Der Raum) - then again some of my favourite French restaurants are in Shanghai...

Comment

I thought I'd list a few of our favourite spots that we visited over the Easter long weekend in Singapore (en-route to Chiang Mai). It was also a great opportunity to catch up with my parents who drove over from Johor Bahru to enjoy a nice weekend together. In the interest of having all Singapore F&B suggestions in a single place I've posted this here, even though it's a TR of sorts, rather than the TR section.

The trouble with Singapore, much like Hong Kong, is its 56 million thoroughly on fleek restaurants and cocktail bars, and you never quite know how to narrow your list of 'must dos' down without major FOMO. We always end up with an ambitious list of 25 or so places we mean to hit over a 2-3 night stay; somehow I don't think we ever get close to ticking off the whole list - but always have a super fun time regardless. It's amazing how massive and rapidly the city's foodie and craft cocktail scenes have grown over the years; from a city I'd simply transit through to somewhere I simply must stop for a decadent few days en-route. Many a times it's even been a candidate for a long weekend break in and of itself.

As always, the trip starts with an inflight Singapore Sling served up by our fabulous Singapore Girls (and Boys)... We got to try the 2013 77W J product for the first time on SQ and found it a little difficult to find a naturally comfy spot - far prefer the 2006 J product on the A380 we got for our return.

You never really have to leave Chinatown when you're in Singapore (specifically Keong Saik Road, Amoy St and their vicinities). From my perspective at least. Following the demise of the New Majestic (which was in an incomparable spot for F&B), I had to look for something equally cool and the Sofitel So Singapore offers a similarly funky and fun stay whilst being in close proximity to the bars & foodie spots of Chinatown. It also has the advantage of being opposite Lau Pa Sat, handy for a late night satay or something greasy to help sober up and avoid a crushing hangover the next morning! Way better located than the W at Sentosa, it goes without saying - much as the W always has a lock on my heart.

First cab off the rank on Amoy St, as it's just next door to our dinner venue on the first night is an old fave of mine – Spiffy Dapper. Like all good speakeasies, it's not worth visiting unless you have to apply some effort in finding it like diving behind a dumpster and shovelling up 6 feet of dirt to find any semblance of an entry to a bar... this place is located up a dingy and dark stairwell in what could pass as a condemned building - but it's so worth it! My #partymum certainly enjoyed it.

If you're a fan of Scout (and who isn't?!) in Sydney or Hackney, you'll definitely enjoy Native, my new happy place in Singapore. Similarly fabulous hyper-local approach to cocktails. Loved my Kristang-inspired drink.

On a long 9 hour layover, we had the opportunity to check out the Singapore offshoot of The Old Man; the original in Hong Kong is ranked 10th best in the world currently. Superlative! Same Ernest Hemingway theme, and loads of creativity and deliciousness. Great bar chat too.

Another not to be missed and one of the city's numerous World's Best 50 Bars entrants, Operation Dagger.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 23 June 2019, 04:01 PM.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Spotted at 3am in Employees Only - this bar needs no introduction. It's got more of a nightclub vibe than the original in Greenwich Village however. It turns out my #partymum has way more stamina than we do; when I am 61 I hope I can still party like it’s 1999 like she does!

Want to try Singaporean cuisine without sweating buckets at the hawker centre, or something a little more fun and theatrical than standard Singaporean street food? Labyrinth is your jam! Familiar street food favourites turned entirely on their heads.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Experimental global cuisine (mainly Brazilian-Japanese) at its best with Ivan Brehm's best effort to date at Restaurant Nouri. Conveniently next to Spiffy Dapper mentioned earlier. They were also great at working around my shellfish allergy and made meaningful substitutions for me (rather than the lazy “let’s just give him the vegetarian option” so many places tend to do).

Comment

We had an epic 9 hour layover due to Saver award availability, and obviously turned it into an opportunity to gorge at yet another of our favourite Singapore restaurant. Cure on Keong Saik Rd is like the best of the best neo-Parisian bistros, but with an Irish slant. Ultra inventive, doesn't take itself too seriously, and punches way above its great value price point. The chef-owner who makes it a point to personally serve one of the dishes remembered us from our last visit more than a year prior which was impressive.

Didn't need much food on SQ231 back to SYD after dinner at Cure, despite having ordered my go-to BTC dish, the hazelnut crusted veal. Just a few liquid suppers to help us settle into bedtime. Please excuse the post-shower hair; didn’t think I’d bother styling it when I’d planned on going to bed right after take off!

Last edited by KeithMEL; 23 June 2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Great food pics, KeithMEL! I also dined at Nouri with Mrs yflyer not too long ago, and we were really impressed!

Comment

Working...
                                X