Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SFO] United Club near G98/G100 (Opened 2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SFO] United Club near G98/G100 (Opened 2018)

This write-up covers the new United Club in the SFO International Terminal, which replaces the previous SFO United Club.

The previous United Club at SFO (Open to Star Alliance Gold and KF Gold) is now closed, with the space occupied by the new United Polaris Lounge, which is only open to passengers ticketed in First and Business Class.

The new United Club is further down the pier, close to gates G98/G100.

This is not a new lounge: This used to be the United Global First Lounge. It retains the old decor, although catering and facilities have been aligned with other United Club facilities.

I visited this lounge prior to catching SQ1 SFO-HKG-SIN later that evening. At the time I visited, the lounge was not busy, as SQ1 was boarding soon, and not many other United / Star Alliance flights were departing at that hour.

The decor in this lounge is warm and traditional...

...with several Oriental touches...

Comment

The seating areas feel open and spacious...

There is a quiet section...

...and a small business center area...

There are restroom facilities in the lounge. When this facility used to be the Global First Lounge, showers were also available, but perversely, the shower rooms are now locked, are no longer offered, in order to match facilities offered by other United Clubs.

Comment

There is a dining area with salad and snack bar...

...and dedicated tables/seating for dining...

The salad bar...

Soup (A garden vegetable soup that day)...

...cheese and snacks...

This was fairly late at night. There may have been other food on offer earlier in the evening.

Beer...

Soft drinks...

Coffee...

I did not notice any wine, or bar service, but this was late in the evening, and those facilities might have been closed at the time.

Comment

Final impressions?

A decent but unexceptional lounge. I would probably visit if I needed wifi or a drink/snack, but otherwise I would probably rather spend time shopping, or dining, at one of the restaurants/bars in the airside terminal area prior to my flight.

The real buzz is probably over at the newly opened Polaris round, and it is a pity that lounge is not open to Star Gold members.

Comment

Thanks for the report. It's a shame that United has closed off the showers. One could really use a good shower before a flight.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
              Thanks for the report. It's a shame that United has closed off the showers. One could really use a good shower before a flight.
              You're welcome, zilchster! Agree that showers would have been great. I guess they want to keep United Club facilities consistent across different airports. But they should really consider putting showers in all of them, which many (most?) other top international airlines do.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                You're welcome, zilchster! Agree that showers would have been great. I guess they want to keep United Club facilities consistent across different airports. But they should really consider putting showers in all of them, which many (most?) other top international airlines do.
                Lufthansa really sets the bar for Star Alliance Gold lounges and have showers in theirs. It would be great if they could mandate the same standards/amenities at hubs of other Star Alliance airlines like SIN, SFO, EWR, ORD...

Comment

Working...
                X