Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVA Air's Boeing 787-9 Inaugural - BR 867 TPE-HKG in Business Class

EVA Air’s Boeing 787-9 Inaugural Trip Report

To give EVA Air’s credits, these BMW designed Royal Laurel/Business Class seats are excellent and innovative. I really think BR has just become one of the top Asian airlines that offers a good business class product. Now if they work on their lounges, especially those awful ones at its base, Taoyuan Airport, that resembles a tired-looking night club, and can easily overtake Singapore Airlines. The seats are fantastic. The décor of the cabin is good. I love the “smile” slogan, as the curve of the 787 wing resembles a smile. The flight attendants are friendly and polish. I actually did not plan to attend this Dreamliner’s inaugural, as EVA Air really has not released any schedule due to the licensing delay. I just happened to be Taipei on November 1 for the StarFlyer’s inaugural a few days earlier (and the report is coming soon). I just cancelled my much cheaper Hong Kong Airlines’ ticket and got one of the last two business class seats in the cabin. Thankfully EVA Air finally released two bulkhead window seats 48 hours prior to departure! Fortunately, I got 1K.

November 1, 2018
    BR 867 TPE-HKG Lv1010 Arr1210 Boeing 787-9 B-17881

Full Album Link:
    http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...787-9Inaugural

A gloomy day at TPE

I arrived at Taoyuan Airport about two hours prior to departure and the airport was quite a mess as usual because of the morning rush. Check in was fine, as the priority check in lines were well staffed and even the baggage handlers helped with my bags. The security line was long, but at least it was moving along. I can use the e-channel so it made the process relatively easy. I did not go to the lounge because I am not a fan of it. Plus, I have a three hours layover the following day on my flight back to the US, so don’t miss “the Infinity” much.

Gate C6

B-17881 was already parked at gate C6 when I arrived around 8:15am. There were many enthusiasts and I got a few early shots of this beauty. Unfortunately, the windows at TPE were tinted.

Love the Proud 787 logo

Since they need some time to set up a stage in the gate area, they opened the gate area a bit later than usual. Once the door was opened, everybody was glued to the window!

A better angle

From the lower floor:

Since the curve of Dreamliner resembles a smile, EVA Air uses it to promote its 787. Given the time we are in, we can use more smiles. A main stage is set up with 787’s curve.

I love this picture for obvious reasons.

According to EVA Air, they are going to digitize all the photos they took during this event (and obviously for everyone who gave BR the rights to use the photos) and put together a digital picture or portfolio. They will email every passenger with that souvenir.

Instragram Photo

Gate C6

There was a more casual ceremony replacing the usual ribbon cutting ritual.
    CEO/Chairman of EVA Air

Then all the honored guests joined Chairman Lin and took a few photos waving the slogans and “smiling”!

At 9:42am, boarding began and off duty flight attendants were handing out gift to every single passenger!

Inaugural gift – Stainless Steel Vacuum Bottle with the EVA Air 787 logo – very Asian type gift

Comment

The purser was greeting passenger at the door

Front galley

My seat 1K

My cabin shot – very limited

The cabin was very busy so I chose to look at this brand-new seat designed in conjunction with BMW. The seat itself is a Thompson Vantage XL seat, which is used by a few airlines, including Delta on its new A350s, but EVA Air customizes the seat with the help of BMW.

Side drawer – where EVA Air pre-places the headsets and there is a lower open drawer place that you can put small electronic items like cell phones or power chargers too.

Side lamp

Entertainment control console

Comment

Power outlet and USB Charging Port

Seat control console – there is a message console, as well as a “Do not disturb” sign

Tray Table – cannot be rotated

Footwell

Side Storage Bin

Moveable Armrest

Literature pocket

Comment

Adjustable headrest

I really love the finish and the upholstery of the seats.

Menu

Safety Card

Pre-takeoff beverage – my choice – pineapple juice and of course hot towel

787 Napkin

Door was closed at 10:04am and we pushed back five minutes later. There was a water canon salute/sendoff but due to the rainy situation, I did not get any good picture.

Staffs waving goodbye with many ground staffs looking over us.

We took off from R/W5R at 10:34am for the one hour and twenty-four minutes flight. The routing was fairly typical – Taoyuan over to Makung and then towards Hong Kong. We climbed all the way to 40,000 feet. Despite the weather, the Dreamliner handled this turbulence very well.

Due to the turbulence and being in a new plane, the service was a bit slow to start, so I took advantage of photographing the seats in two pre-set positions – lounging and full flat!

Lounging

Comment

Full Flat

Full Flat with armrest down

Here is the transcript of the wine list and menu:
            Wine List
            Champagne
            Champagne Delamotte Blanc de Blancs 2007

New Zealand White Wine
            Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc 2017, Marlborough

German White Wine
            Ockfen BOCKSTEIN Riesling Kabinett 2016, Mosel

French Red Wine
            Chateau Le Monteil d’Arsac 2014, Haut-Medoc, Bordeaux

Argentina Red Wine
            Aguribay Malbec 2016, Mendoza

Fortified Wine
            Cuesta Fino Sherry
            Taylor’s LBV Port

Sky Gourmet
            Hors D’oeuvre
            French Meat Pate and Cajun Spiced Scallop with Apple and Tomato Salsa

Main Course
            Honey Glazed Chicken
            Mixed Vegetables
            Steamed Rice (Chishang Premium Grade Rice)
            Or
            Beef Bourguignon
            Sautéed Mixed Vegetables
            Pan Fried Cheese Polenta Cake

Sweet
            Fruit

Coffee/Tea
            20181001-D-TPE-HKG.MFM-TPE

Linen

Light Meal – my choice for entrée is honey glazed chicken

Starter

Fruit

Chicken entrée

Comment

There is a unique 787 coaster.

Bathroom break

Cabin shot

EVA Air front

Candies prior to arrival

Comment

Descent began at 11:21am and you did not really feel it much.

The flight attendants were pretty amazing because they worked nonstop during those two hours, especially given that they were new to the planes too. They maintained their smiles and I got to give them credits.

We landed on R/W7R at 11:58am.

Another water canon salute, as we taxied into gate 28.

Korean Air B777-300ER next door

For some reasons, they only used door two for our arrival. So, I took the opportunities to take a few more pictures. Many of the passengers would turn back immediately, so I had some chances to take a few cabin pictures.

Comment

One final look at B-17881

These 787s seem to be only used on regional flights and maybe to Australia, replacing EVA Air’s A330-200s. Hopefully these Brisbane flights will soon get these nice business class suites, instead of those angled business class seats. I have a feeling that EVA Air is perhaps testing out the next generation of Premium Laurel seats too. I can see EVA Air putting these seats with a door in their new 777Xs and even in their newer batch of Boeing 777-300ER seats.

I hope you enjoy this trip report!

Carfield

PS. The StarFlyer’s trip report will come soon.

Comment

Great TR Carfield. The Dreamliner looks really amazing and so are the seats. I hope to fly on a Dreamliner eventually in the future.

Comment

Wow, lovely report! Great photos. I was wondering whether a "regional" business class would make it onto BR's 787s -- if they can supplant the herringbone style long-haul J seat they must be good indeed.

Comment

Working...
                      X