Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late Christmas/New Year Trip Report: SQ1/2 (77WN), MI's A320 and SQ's A333 (MAA-SIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cochin Marina:

Kalady (Birthplace of Adi Sankara):

On New Year's Day, we left Cochin for Chennai. An idea of how Cochin Airport looks like; Very congested and packed. Smaller than most other Indian Airports I've been to. Even Trivandrum still beats it.

Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

We flew Air India that afternoon to Chennai. The remaining 5 days were spent doing shopping, visiting Mahabalipuram, Tirupati (Car trip that was done within the same day) and visiting my niece who goes to college here, too.

As with most Chennai trips, we stayed at Woodlands, except this time it was in the cottage part. Almost like a 2 story house minus the kitchen. I initially had low expectations but honestly it was a really enjoyable stay.

New Woodlands Hotel and grounds:

The Woodlands Hotel has a Vrindavan and Sri Krishna Restaurant that's open til about 10:30PM. Authentic South Indian food of all types. Even if the rooms are a bit dated, their food and quick service never disappoints.

My niece's dormitory (hostel) of her Nursing College:

Indian Railways across from her dorm:

First time seeing Starbucks in India. Honestly, coffee was average, though what we ordered was more of a cappuccino. Maybe next time I'll try the coffee.

Pics of Mylapore Tank:

Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 05:01 PM.

Comment

T. Nagar in Chennai where we do shopping for clothing and sarees:

Infill trip to Tirupati (4 hour drive)

Up Tirumala (Where the temple is):

Scenery of Tirumala Hill:

View and parts of the city of Tirupati:

Hotel Mayura, where I would normally stay, but we went here for lunch and returned to Chennai the same day:

Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Mahabalipuram Beach I went to with my mother:

Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Flight: Singapore Airlines flight SQ529
            Route: Chennai - Singapore
            Aircraft: 9V-SSG (Airbus A330-300, 1.5 years at the time of departure)
            Date of Departure: January 6th (11:15PM), arrive January 7th (6:10AM)
            Seat: 41K (Economy Class)

It was a Friday night, we hired a car to take us to the airport, so my father came along to help us with the bags and stuff. The next day, he flew to Kolkata for 3 days. I was kind of angry because of a few family issues on who I could and could not see, but I'm going no further than that.

Check in was pretty smooth and was a breeze. We got our boarding passes within 15 minutes. Security took about 20 minutes to check our passports and carry on baggage. Unlike before, if you are a US Citizen, you can show your passport and boarding pass, and they can verify it's you. OCI card only for rare occasions, but no need to fill out customs forms anymore. I don't know how it worked for my dad when he left for Kolkata to Singapore.

Here are some parts of Chennai Airport.

Downstairs for going to the gates. Still better than Trivandrum but I can still recall this back when I took Cathay Pacific in 2009.

9V-SSG, our A330-300 (A little hard to see but that's the one). Coincidentally, on Monday night (The 9th) when my dad left Kolkata, he flew on SSG as well.

Boarding commenced at 10:45PM, and a huge queue lined up of literally everyone. Once we boarded the plane, I was in for a better treat than what MI usually has. Note that on this sector, there were pre-recorded Tamil announcements, too. Once I stepped foot in the aircraft, I passed by the new regional J class seat, and the Y class seat gave me a little bit of nostalgia of the 77W's current 2006 products. Honestly, these were pretty comfortable for a short haul flight plus 2D maps, which I think are fine, but no plane's position so I can see the software somewhat degrading.

No welcome screen, but what you get greeted with in your seat.

View from Seat 41K:

Doors were closed around 11PM, and captain KJ made an announcement, which sounded a bit too soft at first, and he made one which was a little more audible. Pushback began around 11:10PM (On schedule) and we taxied to the runway about 10 minutes thereafter for takeoff.

Safety video was shown in English (at the top) and Tamil (at the bottom). The take off was relatively smooth, with the Rolls Royce Trent engines. About 15 minutes the seatbelt sign was switched off and dinner service began. The first time in over 15 years I have flown from India to Singapore on Singapore Airlines, and the dinner was fantastic. Pics shown below.

My meal (Veg Lacto Ovo Meal):

This was paneer with tomato sauce. I like the larger variety of food SQ has out of India as opposed to SilkAir.

My mom's meal (Indian Vegetarian Meal):

She had the puliyogare, and was very generous to share some with me. Honestly, while it is Andhra Pradesh style, I personally felt it was delicious. I think SQ's catering out of Chennai is superb. Not sure how it would be from other places like Delhi or Kolkata. My dad enjoyed the food as far as I know.

The A330 cabin during meal service:

I have videos on YT, but no pics of the 2D maps. Personally, gave me some nostalgia but it was good to keep track of where the flight was and to generally use the KrisWorld if we needed it. I did get some sleep on the flight. Honestly, if you ask me, the 77WN seats are still the most comfortable seats I've ever flown in. These seats are comfortable but good for short haul sectors IMO. Soon, KJ came in with an announcement we'd be landing into Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 2 with clear weather and a warm temperature.

I was expecting to land and disembark at T3 as I think it would have taken lesser time to get to the transit hotel but SQ does what they gotta do of course. We landed around 5:55AM and disembarked around 6:05AM at F50 at Terminal 2 (Which according to iCargo and the gates would depart to Bali as SQ942). We made our way to the restrooms in T2 (T3 restrooms are much much better) to brush our teeth and head for the shuttle bus then to the transit hotel.

We also got a coffee, yet again at the Coffee Bean right at sunrise and went to our hotel and got the room at 7AM (though initially stated for 8AM). We also asked them to book for my father, and it was sold out. When my dad came from CCU (around 4:30AM), they had a room for him anyway with no fuss or problems.

I was too tired to take pics of the room since it also had no window but got a good sleep for 3.5 hours and freshened up. We went 2 hours later than anticipated to the city (12:45/1PM) when I was anticipating to go at 10:30 or 11AM. We barely went much except for Sentosa which will be shown next post.
            Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

As we got out of the airport, we took a cab to the Cable Car and Sentosa. First thing we did was purchase tickets and rode the Cable car with amazing views as shown below of Singapore City and Sentosa Merloin. Unlike all my previous Singapore visits, there was no rain whatsoever and it was sunny for the first time in my life there, so it was a good treat. It was hot, but I still enjoyed it.

We also went to Sentosa to hang out for a bit as well. We left around 3:45PM to head to the airport and have lunch before our flight back as SQ2 to HKG/SFO.

The Merloin and I think Singapore Harbor (or Changi Beach). Singaporeans, please correct me if I am wrong.

We headed back to Changi Airport Terminal 3, and had lunch at Kaveri in T3 instead, and personally food was still good as the one in T2. Here are some pics of some Christmas decorations that were still at Changi after New Year's even on January 6th. Even they were playing Christmas music there, too. Typically in America, they stop playing Christmas music on Dec 26, and take down Christmas decorations on January 1st. In Singapore they keep it for longer? Please fill me in.

A few Christmas things sponsored by Pokemon at Changi T3.

Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Flight: Singapore Airlines flight SQ002
                Route: Singapore - Hong Kong - San Francisco
                Aircraft: 9V-SWZ (Boeing 777-300ER, 77WN, 1.9 years at the time of departure)
                Date of Departure: January 7, 2017.
                Seat: 40A (Economy Class)

First sector:

Flight: Singapore Airlines flight SQ002 from SIN to HKG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                After our lunch at Kaveri, we proceeded to gate A14 at Terminal 3 for our SQ2 flight bound for Hong Kong and San Francisco. Honestly, I was hoping it'd be at the B side for a change because we were more closer to it. My dad's flight departed from B5 and he got 9V-SWU on SQ2 on the way home a few days later.

9V-SWZ, our Boeing 77WN, not such a good view from gate A14, you can see the hump on the top of the second door. Having known well that SWZ has the 3D maps from most of you SQTalkers, I was happy I'd experience it again both ways. This came from MEL as SQ238 to take us back to SFO. I remember departing for SFO from gate A14 once when SQ16 still existed (9V-SWQ with my father).

Boarding commenced at 6PM exactly with no boarding call chimes as opposed to previous times. Did they get rid of them? They still exist in T2. In 5 minutes they let people from rows 40-56 board the aircraft. Upon boarding, we could hear one male and one female crew cheerfully welcoming people on board the plane.

The Welcome Screen onboard SQ2 to HKG:

Wingview from Seat 40A:

We were parked right next to the B773 (9V-SYI) which SQTalkers claim is retrofitted with the 77W 2006 products.

A few minutes later, captain announcement came in, with Captain Joseph Chin assisting with him two colleagues first officer Wither Lee and Tai Papa, the inflight supervisor. Flight time was 3 hours and 15 minutes. Departure was towards the North end of the runway at T2.

We later pushed back from Gate A14 and engines started flaring up. The white noise was one of the noises that sounded like it was still a brand new aircraft. Soon, we taxiied to the runway and took off at 6:45PM with a view of the Singapore Harbor and runway making a U-turn and within 10 minutes the seatbelt sign got turned off.

Soon, we were greeted with a beautiful sunset

In a short while, drinks and dinner service commenced. Menu was not shot on SQ529 because I was pretty tired most of the way, but shot on this sector however.
                Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

My meal (Veg Lacto Ovo Meal):

The meal was kind of average so I went light on this sector. My mom's meal was also a bit average as well. On the last leg, our meals were a lot better. Not a big fan of mashed potatoes unfortunately.

Cabin during dinner service:

And your's truly the 3D maps. On SWZ, only the first run of starting the entertainment system, it looped one time with the Voyager 3D logo before departing SIN, but if you switched modes, it was a little more difficult to watch a movie and have a map on a handset without fumbling around. It wasn't the case on SWW. If you exit and go back to it, you don't get that logo again.

Bulkhead/handset version:

Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I am having both a hard time and an headache reading your TR. Please re-orientate and re-size your 7528x6356 pixel pictures

Comment

Can you re-size and re-orientate your photos

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                        Can you re-size and re-orientate your photos
                        Yes, of course, but how can I do this? I used tinypic to get the photos up. It will probably take me a while, sorry. Also, I am not done with the report yet, I took a small pause.

Comment

Touchscreen monitor version of Voyager 3D. I'd say it is the same but the orientation is somewhat different, not Androidy like I had on SWW, but nonetheless, I was still happy to receive the same information as before:

The next part will show the cabin view sometime after dinner service. Overall, this sector, load was pretty light. Pretty much a lot of people, if they wanted to sleep got 3 seats to themselves. The row in front of mine 39ABC was empty, so my mother moved to get some sleep til we landed in Hong Kong. I think SQ should definitely move SQ2/1 to a 77WR in the future the way it looks like.

Back part of the cabin:

Front part of cabin:

Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Menu card for reference (SIN-HKG-SFO):

Map upon descending to HKG:

We began descending into Hong Kong around 10PM, with an arrival at the gate on schedule. Wither Lee made an announcement it would be a pleasant clear evening in HKG. We disembarked the aircraft at 10:10PM with ample time to hang around the gates and see a few shops. At this hour, my mom and I decided not to get a coffee. My dad did on his way back a few days later before our flight continues on to SFO.

TBC....SQ2 Final leg HKG-SFO.
                            Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Flight: Singapore Airlines flight SQ002
                              Route: Hong Kong - San Francisco
                              Aircraft: 9V-SWZ (Boeing 777-300ER, 77WN, 1.9 years at the time of departure)
                              Date of Departure: January 7, 2017.
                              Seat: 40A (Economy Class)

Second sector:

Flight: Singapore Airlines flight SQ002 from HKG to SFO

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whether your destination of the flight continues to SIN or SFO, you are required to disembark the aircraft. No longer optional from SFO. Here are some pics of HKG airport that night:

We continued to gate 17 where 9V-SWZ was waiting for us. Boarding commenced at 11:10PM with an on-time gate departure of around 11:35PM. Unexpectedly, unlike my SQ16 flight from ICN-SFO, after getting our US Customs form, there were extra bag checks in HKG. I don't remember this ever happening the last time I took SQ2 (It was a 747-400 the last time I took it).

9V-SWZ at Gate 17:

After boarding the aircraft, it was a mad rush for everyone to get to their seats and unlike SIN-HKG, it was a pretty full flight. It was also quite loud, too, surprisingly.

The welcome screen on the last leg:

Captain (I think Lam De Gan, sounds like an Indonesian name, not sure) made an announcement about our departure that included everything except the actual flight time to SFO (every SQ pilot does announce this). I think he is Indian but not sure. Handset does record 11 hours and 20 minutes. Along were Junior Chong and Tan Tak Singh who were assisting him. Howard Quan was our IFS. He mentioned the US regulations about lavatories and that SFO would be rainy on our arrival (Every trip I've arrived mostly on clear nights).

Pushback began at 11:35PM, with a departure around a few minutes after midnight for take off. This flight comprises of a supper service followed by a breakfast service. I did not take too many pictures surprisingly as I got a total of 8 hours of sleep (with breaks).

My Meal (Veg Lacto Ovo Meal):

Overall, the dinner was excellent on this sector. I shared some of my mom's meal which was equally just as good.

Soon after the meal service, the F/A's have asked passengers seated by windows to lower the window shades. I did take some peeks and took a few pics from the window especially of the sunrise, daybreak and sunset. If you fly a night flight east bound, you will be alerted of this. No one objected but I still got decent pictures.

Sunrise over Japan. After 3 hours of extremely comfortable sleep:

Daybreak over Hawaii, over the Pacific. I woke up after another 5 hours:

At some point of the daybreak, breakfast got served 2 hours before arrival.

My breakfast (Veg Lacto Ovo Meal):

My mom's breakfast (Indian Vegetarian Meal):

Overall impressions of the breakfast: Mine was excellent and even shared a bit of my mom's. Vadai was excellent, and I had a bit of the dosa, not a fan of masala dosai as I don't like mashed potatoes much.

Comment

Sunset over the Pacific:

Cabin during breakfast service:

Unfortunately, due to the immense sleep I've gotten, no pictures of the Voyager 3D map, but to compensate I have a few links on YT should you all wish to watch my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0PrnYBxhX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JN7nOeVMr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyvx6fJWcrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciq8JUIi7M4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU474C0xdnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAnYqHSL0-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFrae2QWJx0&t=1s

Anyway, around 6:55PM, Captain Lam De Gan (I'm not sure if that's really his name, could not make out) had made an announcement about our arrival at SFO and the forecast for rainy weather. He did not mention the temperature, but it felt more like the 50's (in Farenheit) when I walked out.

Upon arrival to SFO, we landed at 7:35PM, with a taxi and a small gate holdup and we got to our gate around 7:55PM and disembarked the aircraft around 8PM. After this, we brushed our teeth and went straight to customs which did take a while but still I'm sure you all can say SFO is the best as far as efficiency in Customs.

We got our bags and got out of the airport at 9:15PM and called an Uber. It took a few Uber Drivers and when we got to the actual location they wanted us to meet (At SFO they don't allow Uber at the Arrival's, so you'd have to go up to Departures for them to meet you) and reached home at 10PM.
                                Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X