Singapore Staycation Series 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For mains, we had the Garoupa Spiedini.

And the Roasted Barramundi. Both were well-prepared fish dishes.

For desserts, we had the Zabaglione Freddo and an excellent The Cliff Tiramisu. Nice sweet endings to the dinner.

The next morning, while heading for breakfast, we spotted a parade of peahens.

As well as a peacock trying to attract a peahen (which the peacock failed as the peahen totally ignored it).

Breakfast was served at Kwee Zeen restaurant. The menu in the link below.

https://d2e5ushqwiltxm.cloudfront.ne...-Kwee-Zeen.pdf

Even though we were each officially entitled to only one breakfast set, the restaurant staff were all willing to offer add-ons when requested. We had the American Breakfast Set, Healthy Breakfast Set, and a Belgian waffle add-on.

Also tried the nasi lemak as well. A filling and reasonably good breakfast.

Peahen 'patrolling' the breakfast area.

It was a relaxing stay and gastronomic time at Sofitel Sentosa. The included meals were lovely, with good resort ambience. Certainly provided a real 'vacation' experience.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for these reviews. Brings home how much you take for granted when you visit places and then suddenly can't. I miss Singapore and the Grand Hyatt. Yes it is a business hotel, but as you point out there is more to it than that and with so many stays there (my last stay there was my 103rd), I know some of the staff there very well. Sadly I fear a number of them will not return when this sh*t is all over.

God only knows when I'll be there again, even though I really do need to visit.

Comment

#9 Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore

The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore
        Deluxe Room

The next staycation for the month was a 2 nights stay at Capitol Kempinski Hotel.

Located in the civic and cultural district, the 155-room Capitol Kempinski follows years of restoration bringing out the best of the neoclassical-style Capitol Building (1930) and Venetian Renaissance-style Stamford House (1904).

Today, The Capitol Kempinski Hotel has a pride of place in the integrated lifestyle complex, which boasts Arcade @ The Capitol Kempinski, Eden Residences Capitol, the legendary Capitol Theatre, and retail mall, Capitol Singapore. It is also in close proximity to Singapore’s top attractions such as Marina Bay Sands, Chijmes, National Museum and Merlion Park.

The hotel promises no shortage of gastronomic adventure with 15 Stamford by Alvin Leung, The Bar at 15 Stamford, Lobby Lounge, Frieda, Berthold Delikatessen, Broadway American Diner, La Scala Ristorante, and El Teatro Tapas.

I had booked the hotel via an online travel platform, for a voucher offering for 2 nights stay in a classic room, inclusive of breakfast and $80 dining credits, at a very attractive rate.

Exterior of the neoclassical hotel building in the day.

Arrived at the hotel porch.

Checked in at the intimate hotel lobby. Service was very personable, with the staff leading us up to the room after checking in.

Hotel interior

We were upgraded from the originally booked Classic Room to the Deluxe Room as I believe the separate wing with the Classic Rooms was still being used for quarantined quests.

Sleek and contemporary lines and a timeless elegant design in a warm natural palette make our Deluxe Room the perfect home away from home. The large windows overlooking the vibrant courtyard or street let in an abundance of natural daylight. The sleek furnishings afford comfort and relaxation while you work, play and sleep. Every room offers a generous bathroom area.

Entering the room was a closet.

Bathrobe and amenities in closet

Turning left is the bedroom area. The bedroom is very cozy and comfortable, with some interesting design elements.

Nespresso coffees and TWG teas offered.

Soft drinks in the minibar were complimentary.

My Travel Map

Comment

The highlight of the room is the generous bathroom area.

Double sinks

Shower cubicle with a rain shower which is almost 3m high!

Luxurious bathtub with personal entertainment TV.

Amenities by Salvatore Ferragamo.

Hotel exterior lit up at night with Christmas decorations.

The Bar at 15 Stamford

Singapore is not only known for its rich food culture but also has one of the most exciting bar scenes worldwide. The Bar at 15 Stamford has certainly raised that “bar” with its extensive range of rum varieties, cocktail classics and new artisan and bespoke creations that will seduce sophisticated connoisseurs and cosmopolitans alike. Head down at 8pm to hear the bell ring, not last orders, but time for new cocktail delights. Our signature cocktail Plantation 1840 is highly recommended.

The daily breakfast was served at 15 Stamford by Alvin Leung.

You haven’t experienced the full luxury of The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore until you have dined at our signature restaurant, 15 Stamford by Alvin Leung.

Canadian chef Alvin Leung, known as the Demon Chef, is not your typical Michelin-starred chef. Sporting his iconic blue hairstyle and tattoos, this maverick culinary craftsman found fame with the launch of his Hong Kong restaurant Bo Innovation.

The menu at 15 Stamford by Alvin Leung reveals the more subtle aspects of Chef Alvin’s epicurious genius. It showcases a fascinating array of his favourite Asian recipes inspired by his travels around Asia, particularly the cuisines of Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore. Chef Alvin’s creative twists on well-known Asian classics breathe new life into old, familiar recipes and inspire a fresh appreciation for the flavours and ingredients you always thought you knew.

The centrepiece of the restaurant’s open kitchen is the hot coal grill. Serving up a selection of mouth-watering meats and seafood chargrilled to perfection throughout the week, the Demon Grill is the star attraction of the restaurant.

Talking about stamping his mark, be sure to look out for Chef Alvin’s signature demon logo as you dine. It is hidden among the motif designs on all the crockery.

My Travel Map

Comment

Breakfast offerings at Capitol Kempinski is touted as one of the best.

https://kempinski-dev.s3.amazonaws.c...u-26082020.pdf

The famous breakfast wagon trolley.

Breakfast was served ala-carte buffet style. Variety was simply amazing, and the widest spread of all the hotels I stayed in. Additionally, anything breakfast items not on the menu could be requested (yes, I requested for a special order of Avocado toast, and they delivered!) and quality were all excellent.

Exploring the Civic District near the hotel.

Also took some time to work out at the hotel's temporary gym, which was converted from one of the hotel room. The hotel's gym and pool were under renovations during the stay, but I understand they should be reopened now.

My Travel Map

Comment

The dining credit was used for a very satisfying lunch at 15 Stamford.

New Zealand King Salmon
              Honey Pineapple, Kaffir Lime, Thai Basil, Toasted Rice Powder

Foie Gras Kaya Toast
              Organic Egg Foam, Kaya Gel, Brioche

Baby Sea Bass
              Buah Keluak Sauce, Broccolini

Pork Prime Rib Char Siew
              Pickled Kyuri Cucumber, Korean Char Siew Sauce

Rotisserie Pineapple Masala
              Dark Rum, Lime Salt, Madagascar Vanilla Ice Cream

Another fabulous breakfast on the next day.

Even though The Capitol Kempinski does not have the fancy facilities as big hotel chains, the comfortable room, very personable service, sumptuous breakfast and the overall classic experience, made the stay a very pleasant and enjoyable one.

My Travel Map

Comment

#10 Hilton Singapore

Hilton Singapore
                King Hilton Deluxe

The last staycation I had in the month of November was at Hilton Singapore.

Hilton Singapore is centrally located in the heart of Orchard Road - Singapore’s vibrant shopping district and a 5-minute walk to Orchard MRT station. The hotel is an ideal choice for business travellers being only a 10-minute drive to the Central Business District and 20-minute drive from the Singapore Changi International Airport. Our 423 modern rooms and suites offer city or boulevard views, ergonomically designed workspaces and Wi-Fi access. The hotel also offers six innovative dining options including an evening grill for charcoal-grilled steaks and an award-winning rooftop Italian restaurant. Other thoughtful facilities include an outdoor rooftop pool, 24/7 fully equipped fitness centre, two-floors of luxury boutiques and in-house therapeutic massage services.

I booked the Treasures of the Sea High Tea Staycation for this stay, which included a nights stay in a Deluxe room, Treasures of the Sea High Tea Set for two with seafood platter and a bottle of prosecco.

Arriving at the hotel

Hotel Lobby

Deluxe room is the lead-in category room. It is as run-of-the-mill Hilton room, clean and functional.

32 sq. m. modern room, city views, floor-to-ceiling windows, WiFi, bath tub, work desk & chair. Enjoy your stay in this stylish guest room featuring city views, one king bed, and convenient amenities. Work away at the desk with the Herman Miller ergonomic chair, browse online with WiFi, or unwind with a movie on the LCD TV. Special touches include bathrobes and slippers.

Herman Miller ergonomic chair at the workdesk.

TWG Teas and instant coffees.

View from the room

The bathroom is very classic but clean.

Amenities by Crabtree & Evelyn.

My Travel Map

Comment

Breakfast was served ala-carte style. We are able to mix and match from the breakfast menu set selection.

https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&r...S-0_Que8cVixy1

Starting with pastries, muesli, fruits and a coffee.

Scrambled eggs

Asian selection

Hotel gym is big and well-equipped.

Rooftop swimming pool.

View of Orchard Road from roof top.

We had the Treasures of the Sea High Tea set after check out. It was of good quality and well-presented.

https://www.hiltonsingaporerestauran...h-Tea-Menu.pdf

It was a reasonably pleasant stay at Hilton. Even though rooms were 'classic', they were well-maintained and spacious, with some refurbishment done. Facilities were as per any other 5-star hotels and service was professional.

My Travel Map

Comment

During the staycation, we also had a fine dinner at Alma at the nearby Goodwood Park Hotel. It was an exquisite and enjoyable experience.

Nestled in the historic Goodwood Park Hotel right in the heart of town in Orchard Road, Alma by Juan Amador is a 1-Michelin-starred restaurant for 4 consecutive years since 2016. Alma by Juan Amador has also been awarded the 2018 Traveller’s Choice Awards by TripAdvisor for its culinary excellence and warm hospitality as one of the top restaurants out of 11,736 establishments in Singapore.

Alma, which is Spanish for soul, brings to the table an unforgettable experience with outstanding dishes shared over great conversations and ambience – the true soul of eating.

Our kitchen is helmed by Singaporean Executive Chef Haikal Johari, who has a distinguished culinary career in some of the finest restaurants in the region. Chef Haikal marries his training in European cuisine with hearty Asian flavours and ingredients to create exceptional modern-European dishes with Asian influences.

My Travel Map

Comment

#11 AMOY Hotel

AMOY Hotel
                      Deluxe Room

For the month of December, the first hotel I stayed in is AMOY Hotel, which is a boutique hotel different from the major hotel chains.

AMOY is named after and inspired by the Zhengzhou people who came from China to settle in Singapore. This boutique hotel is both a tribute to the area’s trading past and the hotel of choice for today’s modern business traveller. Shunning the norms and restrictions of the usual city hotels, AMOY caters to the sophisticated traveller who values personalised service in an intimate environment.

With just 37 guest rooms, the hotel is known for its personalised service, from greeting every guest by name and going the extra mile when it comes to meeting their needs. Guests, however, do not have to go an entire mile to enjoy the charm and many dining and entertainment options situated conveniently around the hotel. Whether your stay is long or short, you can be sure you’ll always leave with unforgettable memories when you’re a guest at AMOY.

When arriving at the hotel along the main road, one will first see a conserved Chinese temple, Fuk Tak Chi Temple.

This was previously the main entrance to the hotel, but due to the pandemic, it was temporarily closed. To enter the hotel, we would need to go via the rear entrance at Far East Square shopping and eatery mall.

Entering the hotel lobby, there is a wall depicting various Chinese surnames.

Seating were 'reserved' using historical artefacts for safe distancing.

Museum in the temple.

During check-in, we were each offered a welcome drink, which is a flavoured oolong tea.

My Travel Map

Comment

There are only 2 types of rooms available in AMOY Hotel, Cosy Single and Deluxe Room. We booked the Deluxe Room for this stay.

With carefully selected furniture such as porcelain basins, our Deluxe Room (22 sqm) is ideal for travellers who wants a bespoke hotel experience within the central business district. Enjoy our complimentary mini bar and make your very own coffee in the comfort of your own room while you sit back and enjoy our cable television and complimentary wireless broadband access.

Facilities and amenities include:

37-inch LCD TV with cable channels

Complimentary Wi-Fi

Hairdryer

Iron and ironing board

In-room safe box

Nespresso Machine with complimentary capsules

Bathroom with rain shower

Mini-refrigerator

Each room number is decorated with a different Chinese surname. Hotel staff mentioned that there are guests who specifically request for rooms with their surnames.

Upon entering the hotel room is the wash area.

Beautiful wash basin and amenities.

Shower area and bath amenities.

At 22sqm, the elegantly designed room is fitted with a queen bed. However, due to renovations, the windows were hoarded to minimise noise pollution, resulting in no daylight. I believe that the hoardings have been removed.

Nespresso coffee, TWG teas and cookies offered at the mini-bar. For environmental reasons, a glass bottle was provided to hold drinking water instead of providing plastic bottles.

For breakfast, AMOY ties up with the restaurant Genius Central.

A place where health & wealth aligns, nourish your body with whole foods that are as close to nature as it is intended to be with low human interference. Genius Central Singapore is a place for entrepreneurs, changemakers, health-conscious and digital nomads. This restaurant caters to gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, egg-free and nut-free options.

Menu can be referred to here:
                        https://geniuscentralsingapore.com/dinein/

Genius Central cafe setting.

Compared to normal hotel breakfasts, the selection at Genius Central is certainly refreshing. Starting with a selection of fruits and a latte.

Potato Hash

Organic eggs, greens and pesto

Even though it was a short staycation, it was a different boutique experience from the usual hotel stays and worth a try.

My Travel Map

Comment

#12 Orchard Hotel Singapore

Orchard Hotel Singapore
                          Premier Club Room

The second staycation in December was a stay at one of the Millennium Hotels property, Orchard Hotel.

Nestled on the buzzing Orchard Road, Orchard Hotel Singapore is only a few steps away from entertainment and world-famous shopping brands like Louis Vuitton and Gucci.

From the moment you walk through the door, laying eyes on our iconic clock tower to your final moments of holiday, you’ll experience best-in-class Asian hospitality. Your stay at one of the most timeless hotels in Orchard Road Singapore area will be made even more comfortable by the recently-renovated lush interiors of the 260 Grand Deluxe rooms on offer, as well as the Grand Ballroom, lobby and international dining options.

This hotel caters more to the mid-tier market, with similar prices to boot. Arriving at before 3pm, there was already a queue for check-in at the grand hotel lobby. Queues got sizably longer between 3-4pm.

While waiting in the check-in queue, we were handed an information sheet.

As well as a bottle of water.

As our room was not yet ready, we were invited to the hotel restaurant, Orchard Cafe, for an afternoon tea. The afternoon tea was included in the Premier Club room rate, which replaced the Club access as the club lounge was still closed.

The afternoon tea selection was simple and nothing memorable. Well, beats waiting at the lobby for the room though.

Our room was finally available at 430pm. Overheard that some guests were waiting since 1pm and their rooms were still not ready. Headed up to the room at the highest floor where the club rooms are located. Passed the closed Premier Club.

Spacious, stylish, and complete with the features you want. Your Premier Club room unlocks exclusive benefits, including waking up to a gourmet breakfast and Afternoon Tea at the Orchard Cafe.

Upon entering the room.

At 35sqm, the room is sizable. It is also modernly furnished and pretty cosy.

TWG teas and instant coffees offered.

My Travel Map

Comment

Bathroom has marble fittings, with separate shower stall and bathtub.

House-branded amenities provided.

View from the room.

Breakfast was served at Orchard Cafe. Started with toast, danish and fruits.

We were limited to only 1 set of mains from the menu (which itself was not too exciting). Had the Omelette set and the congee with dimsum set. Taste was average, nothing memorable with the breakfast too.

Checked out the hotel grounds, gym and pool area.

I would consider this a 'mass market' staycation experience, with nothing too unique or spectacular. The hotel is functional and does its job, nothing more.

My Travel Map

Comment

#13 Pan Pacific Singapore

Pan Pacific Singapore
                              Pacific Harbour Studio

The next staycation for the month was a stay at the Pan Pacific Singapore. The hotel only re-opened less than a week prior to my stay, with a very attractive rate booked through Expedia.

Renowned for its excellent location, the hotel is within easy walking distance to the city's most iconic sights. This dynamic destination is all yours to explore - from the bustling streets of Orchard Road to the scenic Botanic Gardens. When you need a breather, our signature hospitality awaits in the contemporary comfort of Pan Pacific Singapore.

Arrived at the hotel's beautiful lobby for check-in.

Check in was fast on a Sunday, and as info card was provided.

As I had booked the rate with Pacific Club access, the Pacific Club info sheet was also provided.

The stunning hotel interior.

As the room was not yet ready, we were invited to the Pacific Club for afternoon tea. Pacific Club is located at Level 38, and I consider it one of the best hotel club lounges, with beautiful decor and amazing views.

Last edited by ycp81; 26 January 2021, 12:14 AM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Settled for a table with a view towards the business district.

There were 3 afternoon tea menus being cycled across the week. Below is the menu for Sunday.

The afternoon tea set was promptly delivered, and it was pretty tasty. I especially loved the warm and crumbly scones. Seconds it any item could be requested.

Non-alcoholic beverages, such as coffee, teas and juices were complimentary during afternoon tea.

Once the room was readied, the friendly and professional lounge staff approached personally to inform. Headed down to the room after we were done with tea.

Having heard so much about the 65sqm Pacific Harbour Studio, I was very looking forward to the room.

Relax in the refreshingly cool comfort of your spacious studio with impressive views of the South China Sea or luxuriate in your bath, the centrepiece of the stylish marble bathroom.

If you prefer, make yourself a coffee with our complimentary Nespresso coffee machine and get some work done at the thoughtfully appointed work station, which features an ergonomic Herman Miller chair.

A true standout among hotels in Singapore, Indulge in full Pacific Club privileges that include exclusive access to the Pacific Club Lounge when you stay with us, and enjoy our great location with the city's most-visited spots within mere minutes' walk.

Entering the room was first the hallway.

And just on the left is the huge walk-in wardrobe.

Next is the awesome luxurious marble bathroom with premium Hans Grohe fittings and indulgence rain shower. There are separate toilet and shower stalls, and 2 sinks. The most opulent is the Kaldewei bathtub, which is huge enough for 2!

Amenities are by The White Company.

Next is the living area, with the sofa, workdesk, TV and minibar.

Last edited by ycp81; 26 January 2021, 12:13 AM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                                X