SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
    The 77Ws are used more for the premium market as it has 4 classes and are doing the SIN-US sectors too.
    Yes they are used on SIN-US... but only one daily to SFO and one daily to LAX. Again, the A350 has taken over the 77W on some US routes, such as SIN-MAN-IAH, SIN-ICN-SFO (which was replaced by the SIN-SFO nonstop) and then SIN-ICN-LAX (which was again replaced by the SIN-LAX nonstop). My point is that the 77Ws have been aggressively replaced on many long haul routes, slowly going the way of the 77E. With that said, I agree with you that the 77W is still two or three years away from retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
      Yes they are used on SIN-US... but only one daily to SFO and one daily to LAX. Again, the A350 has taken over the 77W on some US routes, such as SIN-MAN-IAH, SIN-ICN-SFO (which was replaced by the SIN-SFO nonstop) and then SIN-ICN-LAX (which was again replaced by the SIN-LAX nonstop). My point is that the 77Ws have been aggressively replaced on many long haul routes, slowly going the way of the 77E. With that said, I agree with you that the 77W is still two or three years away from retirement.
      The fuel efficiency of the A350 is far superior, so obviously the were fast removing the 77Ws from longhaul destinations and pushed these frames onto shorter routes were the difference is probably not as significant. It shows that SQs is in a dilemma, in fact they would need to remove the 77Ws from the fleet earliest possible and replace by more fuel efficient airframes, but the replacement is delayed even more.

Comment

• The 77Ws are larger and carry more passengers in 4 classes, whereas for the A350s, the longer range used for LAX and SFO and EWR are the ULRs which only carry 161 pax and do not have F class.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
          The 77Ws are larger.
          Not by a huge amount. They have 260 Y, Y+ & J seats compared to the 253 on the A350. Granted they do have the 4 F seats as well.

Comment

• no point speculating about the 77Ws.
            SQ is pretty clear on this one... the 779s will be their replacements.
            So it wont be until 2021 that any of them leaves. in any case, they've all gone through an expensive refurbishment, with SWJ being the first in mid-2015 and SWT the last just earlier this year.

there's really no comparison between the 77W and 359...they both complement each other in capacity (less the F seats), product and range. if fuel consumption really was an issue, then obviously the SIN-HKG-SFO & SIN-NRT-LAX routes would have been priority for 359s.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
              no point speculating about the 77Ws.
              SQ is pretty clear on this one... the 779s will be their replacements.
              So it wont be until 2021 that any of them leaves. in any case, they've all gone through an expensive refurbishment, with SWJ being the first in mid-2015 and SWT the last just earlier this year.

there's really no comparison between the 77W and 359...they both complement each other in capacity (less the F seats), product and range. if fuel consumption really was an issue, then obviously the SIN-HKG-SFO & SIN-NRT-LAX routes would have been priority for 359s.
              exactly and believe the 77Ws will not leave the fleet till after 2022 pending actual delivery of the first couple of 779s.

Comment

• Apparently 9V-SVN has ferried SIN-GYR as N508BC on Nov

Comment

• The end for B777 Classic (B772/773) is getting closer. From peak of 58 (46 B772 and 12 773), now we are left with 12 only. Since the introduction of first airframe B777-212 9V-SQA on 5 May 1997, they have safely haul millions of passengers to their destination, opening up many new destinations for SQ. There was a period when B772 was the smallest aircraft in SQ fleet. Take a bow, 777 Classic. Your legend lives on with B77W and soon-to-come B77X.
                  Last edited by jul247; 26 November 2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Final SQ 772ER Long Haul Flight

SQ 391 ex IST ETA about 0600 hours today -- last long-haul flight with any version of the 772.
                    Last edited by Bitterroot; 30 November 2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Today SQ856 done by 9V-SQN. No first class. Downgrade from newest A380 to the oldest 772

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                        Today SQ856 done by 9V-SQN. No first class. Downgrade from newest A380 to the oldest 772
                        But given the current slump in HKG traffic, if I were under pressure to solve a sudden A380 crisis, it would be my lowest priority to keep its A380. You can move people in F to another flight later that day maybe.

Comment

Today SQ856 done by 9V-SQN. No first class. Downgrade from newest A380 to the oldest 772
                          SQ856 was initially scheduled to be operated by 9V-SWK (B77W) but it got swapped to operate SQ890 instead.

Addtionally, SQ802 today was operated by 9V-SYI (B773) instead of the usual A380.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                            But given the current slump in HKG traffic, if I were under pressure to solve a sudden A380 crisis, it would be my lowest priority to keep its A380. You can move people in F to another flight later that day maybe.
                            Per GDS, SQ856/861's rotation is down-gauged to 77W until 17 Dec, except for the 14th. The A380 wasn't scheduled for 856-29

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              Like what other said it was suppose to operate by 77W.
                              So imagine if you book suite n then downgrade to normal first class. Then on day of travel, tell you plane have no first class. Pls wait another 4 hours for SQ866. Not many paxes would like it.

Comment

Like what other said it was suppose to operate by 77W.
                                So imagine if you book suite n then downgrade to normal first class. Then on day of travel, tell you plane have no first class. Pls wait another 4 hours for SQ866. Not many paxes would like it.
                                Agreed, of course they wouldn't like it, including if it were me.

My point was simply that if you are managing aircraft assignment and there aren't enough of the intended plane to go around, you have to pick where to cause the least damage when you reallocate aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                                X