No announcement yet.

SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just saw on airline route that BKK is going back to 772's. Does anyone know if that means it will be back to these 3 SRJ-L planes doing BKK again ?

Comment

• Originally posted by hjerapa View Post
      I just saw on airline route that BKK is going back to 772's. Does anyone know if that means it will be back to these 3 SRJ-L planes doing BKK again ?
      That's the big problem when it says "B772" or "B772ER" because it literally can mean four different aircraft types, and indeed it can mean a different type on a random basis too. All 772s in the fleet are technically ER variants and when you book, it usually always says 200/200ER even though it may be a flight to CPH which can only be operated by a non-derated 200ER.

On the bright side, a lot of the refitted SV* series are idle during the day as they return from a long haul around 0600 and aren't due back out until at least 2300. Three of the BKK flight pairs could utilise those craft. Maybe...

Comment

I just saw on airline route that BKK is going back to 772's. Does anyone know if that means it will be back to these 3 SRJ-L planes doing BKK again ?
        The seat maps all show 2-2-2 configs for the 772 flying to BKK. I guess that's good news :-)

Comment

Those three frames are regularly performing SQ 974/977 SIN - BKK v v. They also work SGN (172/173) and Manila (918/919).

Comment

• Just seen 9V-SVK as SQ8877 in flight SIN - VCV. On it's way out of fleet?

Comment

• Originally posted by EKCH View Post
              Just seen 9V-SVK as SQ8877 in flight SIN - VCV. On it's way out of fleet?
              Yeah, we've been expecting to see an 8877 flight on that one for some time now.

SVK has left the fleet.

Comment

• Not sure when it will happen but the sooner SQ removes the 300A off the MEL-SIN route the better. Not sure of the 'official' definition of a long haul duration but for a 7+ hour flight, I want a better IFE than that offered at the moment. Flying SQ238 yesterday in J, all the movies and TV shows were in 4:3 format although the screen would take 16:9 widescreen or something near that. The movies stopped for no reason every few minutes (even after having it re-booted) and the brightness function could not fix the black crushing of the vision.

I do usually like the bulkhead (Row 11) but moved yesterday to 11D as my assigned seat would not recline so had heavy traffic in front of me all through the flight - between me and the movie - on their way to/from the forward lavatories. Most annoying and something that cannot happen on the 300ER version.

Mind you, I do still prefer the seat to the ER version, as long as it is only a day flight (such as SQ238) - much better recline and seems to fit me better. I like the extra bin space as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by MEL-World View Post
                  Not sure when it will happen but the sooner SQ removes the 300A off the MEL-SIN route the better. Not sure of the 'official' definition of a long haul duration but for a 7+ hour flight, I want a better IFE than that offered at the moment. Flying SQ238 yesterday in J, all the movies and TV shows were in 4:3 format although the screen would take 16:9 widescreen or something near that. The movies stopped for no reason every few minutes (even after having it re-booted) and the brightness function could not fix the black crushing of the vision.

I do usually like the bulkhead (Row 11) but moved yesterday to 11D as my assigned seat would not recline so had heavy traffic in front of me all through the flight - between me and the movie - on their way to/from the forward lavatories. Most annoying and something that cannot happen on the 300ER version.

Mind you, I do still prefer the seat to the ER version, as long as it is only a day flight (such as SQ238) - much better recline and seems to fit me better. I like the extra bin space as well.
                  Yes, I think both MEL and SYD deserve a better product than the very old 773 refits. Mind you, the limited IFE they operate is also what can be found in the 772ER refits, flying all the way to CPH and CPT/JNB.

I've had the thought that if SQ237/8 coverted to 77W then they could speed up turnaround time by not having SQ227/8 sit on the tarmac for 10 hours, but it's actually false logic- the total combined tarmac time of the two 77Ws would still add up the same, and then they would also be occupying two gates simultaneously, whereas now, SQ227 moves itself off to a parking bay before SQ237 arrives. Sorry, off-topic...

It does raise the question of how long they plan to have these old 773s in service and where they intend to keep deploying them. I'm guessing they will spend the rest of their time providing an F cabin to CGK like the old 772 SQA-H series did in their final days.

Comment

Not sure when it will happen but the sooner SQ removes the 300A off the MEL-SIN route the better. Not sure of the 'official' definition of a long haul duration but for a 7+ hour flight, I want a better IFE than that offered at the moment. Flying SQ238 yesterday in J, all the movies and TV shows were in 4:3 format although the screen would take 16:9 widescreen or something near that. The movies stopped for no reason every few minutes (even after having it re-booted) and the brightness function could not fix the black crushing of the vision.

I've been on a couple of A333s, A388s and B77Ws that had Krisworld throwing up a fit when playing movies. The video would hang while audio continued playing. Reboots didnt help. Yet the older Krisworld on the refitted B772s and B773s (even though with the lower resolution) seems to be working fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCTP View Post
                      I've been on a couple of A333s, A388s and B77Ws that had Krisworld throwing up a fit when playing movies. The video would hang while audio continued playing. Reboots didnt help. Yet the older Krisworld on the refitted B772s and B773s (even though with the lower resolution) seems to be working fine.
                      True, that happened to the passenger next to me flying out of MEL a couple of weeks back on a 77W. Elderly lady struggling with technology wondering why she could hear the audio but not see anything moving and she could only speak German. Very lucky for her that she was sitting next to me!

I think really any of the systems are prone to that kind of failure at some point. Video is very demanding for IT systems- even my high end video editing PC has its "moments".

Comment

• i was on 9V-SKK last week.
                        It happen to me too.
                        The movie would go on but the picture froze every few sec.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                          It does raise the question of how long they plan to have these old 773s in service and where they intend to keep deploying them. I'm guessing they will spend the rest of their time providing an F cabin to CGK like the old 772 SQA-H series did in their final days.
                          With the delivery of the A350s starting soon with the first service to GRU via BCN, I believe, maybe everything will shuffle down a notch with the 773A replacing the oldest 772s. I cannot see them retro-fitting PE into either of these aircraft types. I'm no expert though.

Comment

With the delivery of the A350s starting soon with the first service to GRU via BCN, I believe, maybe everything will shuffle down a notch with the 773A replacing the oldest 772s. I cannot see them retro-fitting PE into either of these aircraft types. I'm no expert though.
                            I think we're on the verge of seeing a lot of major changes with new craft arriving and old retiring and the various refits about to commence. The problem with guessing it, which I myself love to do, is that we don't have access to what will really drive the decision making, which is the cold hard revenue forecasts.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              The problem with guessing it, which I myself love to do, is that we don't have access to what will really drive the decision making, which is the cold hard revenue forecasts.
                              Yes, but isn't it fun guessing what SQ management might do then criticizing them when they do something we 'experts' don't approve of.

Comment

Yes, but isn't it fun guessing what SQ management might do then criticizing them when they do something we 'experts' don't approve of.
                                Oh heaps of fun!

I have every right to determine what planes they use on flights that I will never take in my life. I AM that important!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X