Confirmed: SQ to restart SQ21/22 to EWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    Its a fact that its 2013 J. Please read the link in SQ's News Release. Also, please read his article which is linked on the 1st post.

It is confirmed plus chop that its 2013 J.
    I meant I am secretly hoping that 2017 Long haul J retrofit programme has been scrapped. That’s why we are having this on A350ULR. Hope to see it on A380 retrofits as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
      I meant I am secretly hoping that 2017 Long haul J retrofit programme has been scrapped. That’s why we are having this on A350ULR. Hope to see it on A380 retrofits as well.
      They have invested millions of dollars for the 2017 product all the way from suites to eco, unless there are tons of complaints on the business seat, there's no chance they will install 2013J on the A380, and if SQ wants to, they won't do the redesign on business.

Comment

Just did a dummy booking for SQ22 on the inaugaural flight to EWR on 11 Oct. Still plenty of seats in biz for SGD10,000! Doesn't seem like they've made any redemption seats open for this route yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
          Just did a dummy booking for SQ22 on the inaugaural flight to EWR on 11 Oct. Still plenty of seats in biz for SGD10,000! Doesn't seem like they've made any redemption seats open for this route yet.
          Fun fact, there is a single seat row 10 (10A) - would this be the first time that J doesn't start in row 11?

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
            I made a dummy for march 2019. PY is SGD2.2k , exact same amount I paid in 2005. J is 7.4K. Very enticing.

Comment

I've been waiting for this for so long!

Now I'm wondering how I can make the timing work... my primary destination in the US is BOS, so I connect now at JFK on B6. This gets me to BOS mid/late in the afternoon depending on the season. So on the outbound I'm very excited to see the early arrival in EWR. I might even be in the office by lunchtime with a good connection. Does anybody know the MCT at EWR?

SQ 22 will arrive at terminal B, and most UA flights depart from C I think, there'll be a terminal change involved.

On the way back SQ 21 departs from B as well, so again I will need to change terminals and go through security. I could take the earliest flight from BOS and still make it in summer, but it gets scary in winter with delays. Overnight at EWR? On the plus side, I can do a full day at the office; taking SQ 25 requires me to leave after lunch, but I do get home half a day sooner. Hmmmm. Tricky.

I'm also concerned about the seats. I'm not crazy about the J seats in the 350 I've flown to Europe, so I was hoping we'd get something better for the ULR.

Connections from EWR haven't been loaded yet on the SQ website. Doing a dummy booking to BOS shows a routing SIN-EWR//JFK-BOS. Ugh. Hoping they update it soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
                Fun fact, there is a single seat row 10 (10A) - would this be the first time that J doesn't start in row 11?
                It seems like SQ didn't want to have a row that starts with 3- for Business Class (currently the last row of J is row 29), and so, chose to start one row earlier with 10 instead of 11. If the galleys at the front are used, it seems like row 10 would be one of the worst seats to be sat at. A little like Row 17 on the original A380s with the curtain, galley lights, and galley chatter.

The other reason SQ could be sticking with the 2013 J is so that in case this ULR endeavor fails again, the planes can be converted rather easily into standard A350 layout. And also, reduces the costs associated with having the A380 J certified on the A350.

To be honest I love the 2013 J (even in A350 iteration) and am happy to hear that it's here to stay. I haven't flown the new A380 J but was at the launch and was a bit meh by it.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                  I've been waiting for this for so long!

Now I'm wondering how I can make the timing work... my primary destination in the US is BOS, so I connect now at JFK on B6. This gets me to BOS mid/late in the afternoon depending on the season. So on the outbound I'm very excited to see the early arrival in EWR. I might even be in the office by lunchtime with a good connection. Does anybody know the MCT at EWR?

SQ 22 will arrive at terminal B, and most UA flights depart from C I think, there'll be a terminal change involved.

On the way back SQ 21 departs from B as well, so again I will need to change terminals and go through security. I could take the earliest flight from BOS and still make it in summer, but it gets scary in winter with delays. Overnight at EWR? On the plus side, I can do a full day at the office; taking SQ 25 requires me to leave after lunch, but I do get home half a day sooner. Hmmmm. Tricky.

I'm also concerned about the seats. I'm not crazy about the J seats in the 350 I've flown to Europe, so I was hoping we'd get something better for the ULR.

Connections from EWR haven't been loaded yet on the SQ website. Doing a dummy booking to BOS shows a routing SIN-EWR//JFK-BOS. Ugh. Hoping they update it soon...
                  I'm not sure but I would recommend at least 3 hours headway. For one, you will need to claim your bag at EWR upon arrival at the US regardless of final destination for customs inspection.

But if you are planning to go to JFK, I would say 4.5 hours is what you will need. Allow for about 1.5 hours to commute to Penn station via NJ Transit or Amtrak, then transfer to the LIRR. At both your EWR and JFK terminals, you will use the Airtrain to transfer to the main railway lines. If you have a US-based credit card, you can save the hassle of queuing by purchasing your railway tickets using your phone.

Comment

Is me, or the premium economy class to EWR (and even JFK) is actually quite cheap now?

Cheaper than almost all European and other US destinations.

Originally posted by Trent1000 View Post
                    I made a dummy for march 2019. PY is SGD2.2k , exact same amount I paid in 2005. J is 7.4K. Very enticing.
                    Very enticing indeed. Thought of booking it for my birthday next year, but my bonus haven't come in yet.
                    Last edited by orionmiz; 31 May 2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

It's probably a promo fare. But yeah, I checked and it's even S$400 more affordable than the 1-stop option. I was under the impression that the nonstop option would be more expensive.
                      Last edited by hybridace101; 31 May 2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                        It's probably a promo fare. But yeah, I checked and it's even S$400 more affordable than the 1-stop option. I was under the impression that the nonstop option would be more expensive.
                        The cheapest one-stop one is around S$2285 (extra $60+ for the airport security tax to transit in FRA both directions).

Comment

Originally posted by SQ002 View Post
                          How are cabin crews' schedules like for this flight? The crews would been duty for 20+ hours. I can't imagine what a slight delay would do to their already-long schedule. It is difficult for passengers to stay awake after a 12-ish hour flight.
                          They used to operate each flight with 2 sets of crew. I remember on one particular flight towards the end, we actually had more crew than passengers. Go figure

Also, 345 crew were exclusively trained. Hence many of them did back to back rotations and were renunerated handsomely.

Unfortunately, quite a number of senior 345 crew have since developed Cancer in recent years, propagating the theories of harmful effects of prolonged cosmic radiation exposure.

Comment

Seatmap

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...50-900-ULR.pdf

1-4-1 at the back is a little strange. Good for solo travelers though.

Comment

I just read the news and information about it through routesonline, and wanted to share a few things/thoughts about it:

1) The A350-900ULR is still 359, according to routesonline, shouldn't it be something like 35L or something of that nature? You guys tell me, I'm not gonna argue about it.

2) As others have pointed out, the timings are different. Ex-SIN it departs 45 minutes after the JFK flight. I get JFK and EWR are different airports, but I wonder if SQ has ever considered retiming the JFK flight to maybe a later departure ex-SIN so it can spend less time on the ground in JFK.

3) The return flight time to SIN is understandable, but at the same time having it arrive at 5PM isn't bad, because it allows less time to spend for passengers connecting to India, as most flights depart between 7-9PM (Except DEL, which departs earlier, and also has a 2AM flight).

Comment

Originally posted by Bon View Post
                                http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...50-900-ULR.pdf

1-4-1 at the back is a little strange. Good for solo travelers though.
                                I think the 6 solo PEY seats (3 on each side) at the rear are brilliant!

You get a window AND aisle access...talk about having your cake and eating it.

They would be my first choice if travelling alone on this flight!
                                Last edited by yflyer; 31 May 2018, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X