The 'fabulous' World of Hyatt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'fabulous' World of Hyatt

I know there are a few Hyatt Diamonds one here and a number are bemused by Hyatt's new programme, World of Hyatt, that starts in a few months. Whoever dreamt up those ridiculous names should not be allowed anywhere loyalty marketing and as for the programme itself, well I don't know where to start... I have re-qualified for Diamond again for next year so will see how it goes but the 'extra' benefits for top tier members doesn't seem to justify the additional qualification requirements to me.

Let's see what 2017 brings....

but will it be absolutely fabulous?

just when i thought it would be safe to dip my toe back into the world of hyatt

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      Whoever dreamt up those ridiculous names should not be allowed anywhere loyalty marketing
      I actually think the naming scheme is brilliant because of the potential for future expansion of the program. Rather than just stick to Discoverist, Explorist, Globalist, there is so much scope to broaden the scheme to other customer segments, like Sunkist for beach lovers, Exhibitionist for the MICE segment and Anarchist for a tie up with All Nippon Airways' loyalty program...

Comment

The Diamond Perspective

I know I’ve lagged in responding to this thread. I wanted the dust to settle before addressing all the changes.

I’m with most people that in doing this ridiculous switchover, Hyatt is SERIOUSLY missing the boat and many potential customers. With every other program going in the toilet, they could’ve been the single program to stand out and, therefore, grab LOTS of business from the other chains. This, despite their size of only ~600 properties vs. ~4000 of each of their competitors.

Perhaps lessons will be learned and a MAJOR Q4 promotion will occur.

The only thing that makes sense is if they are positioning it for an acquisition, or they are hoarding the cash to make a purchase. Whatever the Pritzkers decide, the company will look drastically different 12 months from now. If only the cousins hadn’t wanted to cash out…

Let’s get the obvious out of the way:

The new qualification changes suck. It’s not hard for some to manage two top tier statuses, but when 60 nights are required, it’s tough. The lack of promised communication about whether it was going to be 55 or 60 nights for existing Diamonds, was utterly ridiculous and in poor taste. Notice how there hasn’t been a peep out of Jeff Zidell.

And his explanation of WHY they chose the tier names they did was weak and, as the public has been saying, whoever came up with them should be fired. Many times, especially in loyalty programs, simple is best.

Another question he refused to answer was: if Hyatt is going to allow people to requalify for top-tier with 25 stays before March 1st, then shouldn’t there be a metric put in place to convert your stays under 25 into a percentage of nights? In other words, because the program is starting a quarter way into the requalifying year, if you clock 15 stays, that should convert into 36 nights after the changeover.

The 20 Meetings qualification WAS interesting…until you look at the T&C where it states that a “meeting” is defined as booking 10 rooms or more.

That leaves us with the only other option – $20,000 in spend. This is doable by a few individuals I know, but not so much for the masses.

Suite Upgrades

My personal belief is that the “unlimited” nomenclature is just marketing spin.

The four that we have always had is a nice benefit and one that makes Hyatt stand out from the rest.

Free Nights Upon Milestones

The free night given to all converted Diamonds is a nice gesture. But as with the qualification/requalification issue, why not an additional one? At least for a Category 1-4. After all, if you requalify for Globalist, you will get one on your way up anyways.

Then there’s the other free Category 1-4 night for visiting five different Hyatt properties. Again, this is nice, but one throughout the chain would have been better. Remember Faster Free Nights?

And while we are on the subject of awarded free nights, the two that you get for requalifying might actually drive business away from Hyatt since you have only 120 days to use them and some individuals may get strategic.

No More Welcome Amenity or 2500 Points for Closed Regency Club

I will miss these and hope that individual hotels will have the fortitude to continue the traditions.

Breakfast Benefit Change

This is another poorly communicated change. Going from 4 adults to 2 adults + 2 children is just weird – especially when no clear answer has been given as to the definition of a “child” when it has been asked repeatedly through the months.

Resort Fees

The elimination of this ridiculous charge is welcoming.

New Guest of Honor Requirement

One of the most upsetting "enhancements" is that people designated as GOH are now REQUIRED to be members of World of Hyatt.

The culling of Diamond (I can’t bring myself to use “Globalist” – and neither can many Hyatt reps) ranks is blatantly apparent. I agree with MAN Flyer that perhaps this wouldn’t have been an issue had they not given the status away they year before like it was candy. Now that I think about it, perhaps a culling of Hyatt’s Loyalty and Marketing Team should have happened instead.
        Last edited by HUGE AL; 28 March 2017, 04:13 PM. Reason: an SQTalker who was pissed at the GOH Requirement ;-)
        HUGE AL

Comment

Hyatt is not after people staying 60 nights but spending 20,000 USD a year. What's surprising is that their actual target group is not getting the confirmed upgrades...

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
            Hyatt is not after people staying 60 nights but spending 20,000 USD a year. What's surprising is that their actual target group is not getting the confirmed upgrades...
            Honestly, we're not sure what they are after. They seem so confused as of late. The only thing that make sense is a sale or a major acquisition.

Hotels are also cutting benefits left and right.
            HUGE AL

Comment

An ugly blue Explorist card arrived in the mail today. Seriously, what were they thinking with this rebranding?

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                An ugly blue Explorist card arrived in the mail today. Seriously, what were they thinking with this rebranding?
                Please update the first post in the scary thread -- which really should be a sticky and a wiki:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4196

In other (semi old) news, we now have this crap:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/en/elitetier.html

You can find which companies qualify by putting in a bogus email address first, then click in the "Membership #" field. If it turns red, the company is not one of the chosen ones.

Yet another slap in the face to those of us who qualify the hard way. Not to mention being loyal since we were kids.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  Please update the first post in the scary thread -- which really should be a sticky and a wiki:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4196

You can put TK as the next one to go down the drain then

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                    You can put TK as the next one to go down the drain then
                    Although they all kinda suck now compared to the old days, please stay there!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

"Let's hand out top tier like candy again!"

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ckqualify.html

HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                      X