No announcement yet.

SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The main thing is that SIA must step up its cabin maintenance for these old planes and ensure that the seats, IFE are working, the armrests are in proper working order etc as there have been reports of such issues frequently.
    Last edited by flyguy; 17 July 2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
      The main thing is that SIA must step up its cabin maintenance for these old planes and ensure that the seats, IFE are working, the armrests are in proper working order etc as there have been reports of such issues frequently.
      Ya, I agree. The Yankee series 773s, I am very familiar with. I’ve probably flown 100+ flights on them in the past three years on CGK segment. Some of the screens are in terrible shape, both in J and Y. Some of the Y screens are so bad, you maybe get 30% brightness, making watching a movie pointless. Maybe SQ bets that IFE is not so important on the short CGK segment. I say, if you are gonna have an IFE system, then maintain it properly, so paying passengers can enjoy them properly.

One day the 773s will be on the chopping block too, but I don’t think that will be anytime soon!

Comment

• Yup, SQ should keep up maintaining the cabin of its 773s to be in good working order as the 773s are here to stay for at least anther 2 years minimum.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
          Yup, SQ should keep up maintaining the cabin of its 773s to be in good working order as the 773s are here to stay for at least anther 2 years minimum.
          Wonder where the frame used for MNL's SQ910/917 will be used from Oct onwards...

Comment

• It seems that from 1 OCT, there's no First class seats available for MNL bookings. SQ910/917 will be operated by the A350.

Comment

• Are there any 77Ws going to hit the retirement block anytime soon? In two years, some of them will be 15 years old and the A350s and 787s keep coming. I'm not sure how SIA has room to keep all of those new birds.

Comment

• Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                Are there any 77Ws going to hit the retirement block anytime soon? In two years, some of them will be 15 years old and the A350s and 787s keep coming. I'm not sure how SIA has room to keep all of those new birds.
                The balance A350s seem to be regional versions. And both the A350R/787 do not have crew rest. So these are not replacing the 77W. I believe SQ might deploy some of the A350R or 787 on MI route as well in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                  Are there any 77Ws going to hit the retirement block anytime soon? In two years, some of them will be 15 years old and the A350s and 787s keep coming. I'm not sure how SIA has room to keep all of those new birds.
                  Think the actual nett of aircrafts ia not that many - as the new planes will be replacing all the A330s, the 772s and lastly the 773s. The 77Ws will remain in the fleet for few more years as even when they reach 15 years, its still not an issue as SQ have some of its 772s flying past 18 years old now. Even the older A380s are reaching its 11th year.

Comment

• I'd think that any 77W replacement would first have to wait for 2021 or so when SQ can bring in the 777-9.

After that it's probably a combination of 777-9s and A350s, perhaps with a further top up order of A350s.
                    an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                      Wonder where the frame used for MNL's SQ910/917 will be used from Oct onwards...
                      Moves to 912/919. See the Manila thread...

Comment

• SIN -- HKG 772s

Effective 27 October, SQ890/891 to operate with 773, replacing Regional 772.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post
                          Effective 27 October, SQ890/891 to operate with 773, replacing Regional 772.
                          Looks like that 772 frame will be used to replace the existing 77E on SQ868/857 from the same date.

Comment

• Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                            I'd think that any 77W replacement would first have to wait for 2021 or so when SQ can bring in the 777-9.

After that it's probably a combination of 777-9s and A350s, perhaps with a further top up order of A350s.
                            I think that 27 77Ws will be replaced by 20 777-9s and not more. At the moment, the 77Ws are largely confined to medium haul routes (with the exception of LHR, FRA, CDG (winter), CPH (going A350 soon), AKL, HKG-SFO and NRT-LAX). At least some of the current medium haul 77W ops could be replaced by additional A350 in the 253-seat configuration.

Comment

• SIA would need to order more 7779s in about 6 years time to replace its ageing A380s by then, and depending on whether Boeing or Airbus would have come out with newer planes by then, but doubt this is unlikely and would be more a improved 777-9s version.
                              Last edited by flyguy; 23 July 2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
                                I think that 27 77Ws will be replaced by 20 777-9s and not more. At the moment, the 77Ws are largely confined to medium haul routes (with the exception of LHR, FRA, CDG (winter), CPH (going A350 soon), AKL, HKG-SFO and NRT-LAX). At least some of the current medium haul 77W ops could be replaced by additional A350 in the 253-seat configuration.
                                I think there's a higher chance that the 20 777-9s will only replace the first batch of 19 77Ws. The newer 8 arrived in 2013, so I'm guessing they would be confined to medium haul routes while the newer aircraft fly long haul routes where efficiency gains matter more. I don't see many 77W routes going A350 because those 77W routes (other than CPH) can probably continue to support a First Class cabin.

Comment

Working...
                                X