Singapore Staycation Series 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
    Yes they are not the only hotel to do so. It was made known to staycation guests that SHN guests are housed in a separate building. Same for other hotels with separate buildings such as Fairmont, Grand Hyatt (which i will be reviewing next), Orchard Hotel, Carlton Hotel etc.
    I wonder if that is wise for the hotel to do so. There has been a leakage into the community in Australia from hotel quarantine.

Comment

#5 Grand Hyatt Singapore

Grand Hyatt Singapore
      King Deluxe Room

My second staycation in the month of Oct was at the Grand Hyatt Singapore. Passing the hotel rather frequently during my trips to Orchard, I had always thought that the hotel seemed quite run-of-the-mill hotel in the shopping belt, but boy was I wrong.

A destination in itself, Grand Hyatt Singapore is the ideal starting point for any trip to the garden city. Enjoy the hotel’s lush gardens, award-winning spa treatments, colourful cuisine and contemporary guestrooms with the luxury of being right in the centre of the city’s entertainment and shopping scene at Orchard Road.

This would be a rather short staycation, checking in on Friday evening due to work commitments, and checked out the next day noon. The reception was very empty as almost all staycationers had checked in earlier.

During this period, the lowest category room on offer was the Deluxe room. The huge Deluxe room is actually laid out similar to a Junior Suite in other hotels.

Unwind in a 581 sq ft (54 sq m) room outfitted with a king bed, en suite bathroom, separate living area and generous work desk in a suite layout.

Entering the room, we were greeted by the spacious living area.

Access into the bedroom.

The bedroom is decently sized with a King bed. Spacious, clean and functional, but nothing too impressive. I also found the bed a bit too hard for my liking.

The marbled bathroom is gorgeous though. There is a bathtub, with separate toilet and shower cubicles.

Amenities by the Italian brand Balmain (yes, the same person who designed SQ's sarong kebaya). Apart from the usual amenities, bath salt is offered as well.

At the bar area, there is a proper teapot with cups, along with complimentary bottled water.

Freeze-dried instant coffee and Monogram teas were available. The Monogram tea selection tasted really good!

Last edited by ycp81; 22 December 2020, 01:27 AM.
      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

However, there was not much of a view from the room. We were looking at the neighbouring building.

Breakfast was at The Straits Kitchen. Our breakfast slot needed to be pre-booked the day prior. Due to our late check-in, the available slots left are only quite early at around 8am. It also meant a much less crowded experience.

Breakfast was served ala-carte buffet style, with a wide selection of western and asian dishs, and offering freshly-squeezed juices as well! The menu can be found in the link below.

https://ireward.superghs.com/resourc...e%20Menu_1.pdf

We ordered quite a few dishes, and was able to try out the variety as servings were not too big. Service was good and efficient, quality of food is not bad, definitely one of the better hotel buffet breakfasts out there.

Exploring the hotel grounds after breakfast, we discovered an oasis within the hotel grounds. There was also a separate block which was currently used for quarantined guests and has a separate entrance with no access from the main block.

Most of the recreational facilities are located at the ground level of the quarantine block. There is a lounging area at the entrance to the recreational facilities.

Tennis courts are available for guests to book. One of the few hotels with tennis courts.

My Travel Map

Comment

2 tennis courts available.

Entrance to the spa and fitness center.

The fitness center is well equipped and suited for a real workout. In fact, they do offer gym membership for external guests as well!

On to the pool, which was sizable and of resort feel. The pool got quite busy towards later of the day.

Relaxing at the pool

My staycation package is inclusive of a 3-course set lunch for 2 at Mezza9, which I had after check-out.

Discover an exciting and contemporary hotel restaurant in Singapore along Scotts Road featuring Asian and Western cuisines. With nine different dining experiences, you can choose to sit in any area and still order from all the show kitchens around you. Choose from the thai kitchen, sushi bar, grill, steam basket, sustainable seafood counter, patisserie, party room and martini bar. If you are looking for the best venue in Singapore to have international fare, a sumptuous Sunday Brunch and specialty cocktails, mezza9 is your choice.

The restaurant seemed very popular as it was almost full of lunch goers during the weekend. Lunch menu can be accessed via the link below.

https://ireward.superghs.com/resourc...ner%20menu.pdf

To start, we had the sashimi salad and the tuna roll. Both were very good.

Mains were the beef steak and lamb steak. The beef steak was good but portion a tad small, while the lamb was a huge and very tender cut.

Ending with a green tea soft serve and excellent belgian molten chocolate cake with vanilla ice-cream.

It was a short stay but of excellent value for the package offered. Grand Hyatt Singapore is truly an oasis in the middle of the busy Orchard shopping district.

My Travel Map

Comment

#6 Parkroyal on Beach Road

Parkroyal on Beach Road
            Orchid Club Premier Room

The last staycation I went to in the month of October was the mid-tier hotel, Parkroyal Beach Road.

Whether for work or play, you can be sure of a great stay at our hotel in Bugis. Nestled by Singapore's city centre, PARKROYAL on Beach Road, Singapore lets you relax in comfort. With hidden gems nearby, we are your guide to all the best attractions along Bugis and the business hubs.

As the hotel lobby is currently undergoing a facelift, check-in was conducted at makeshift counters. Due to high occupancy over the weekend, the room was only available at 5pm instead of the original 3pm, but the reception extended my check-out for an equivalent 2hrs to 2pm.

Booked the 42sqm Orchid Club Premier King Room for this stay.

Located on the top levels of one of the best hotels near Singapore flyer, our newly renovated Orchid Club Premier Room lets you soak in beautiful views from a private balcony. At day’s end, take a refreshing rain shower or stay entertained with a wide array of channels. Enjoy Orchid Club privileges that include complimentary breakfast and evening cocktails.

As part of the hotel's new safety and hygiene protocol during Phase 2, access to the Orchid Club lounge is temporarily unavailable. Club breakfast, refreshments and evening cocktails will be served via in-room dining service for all Club guests to enjoy in the comfort of their room.

The room is recently renovated, modern, cosy and very spacious.

A care kit was provided to all guests.

The mini-bar included Nespresso capsules as well as instant coffees and Dilmah teas.

A complimentary plate of dried mangoes and pralines offered.

Bathroom was generously sized as well, with separate bathtub and shower stall.

The shampoo and shower gel compartments were empty due to the current situation.

Instead, Metis branded amenities were provided.

Other amenities provided.

Filtered drinking water tap is provided in the bathroom as well.

My Travel Map

Comment

Each of the Orchid Club Premier Room has a balcony. However there is not much of a view to be said from my room due to blockage from the neighbouring building.

Due to the current conditions, complimentary evening cocktails with hors d’oeuvres are served via in-room dining between 6pm-8pm. Every half hour, hotel staff would come round each club room to offer choices of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Service by the staff was excellent, kept prompting us to order as many drink as we wished.

Apart from the bar tidbit, cocktail snacks also included light meals of canapes, salad, tomato soup, salmon and dessert.

Apart from the cocktail hour light meal and snacks, we also went down to the acclaimed Sichuan Douhua Chinese restaurant in the hotel to purchase bento set meals. True to the reviews, the bento sets are delicious!

The next morning, breakfast was served at the newly renovated Ginger restaurant. The restaurant interior was tastefully designed. A very refreshing concept.

We were given a menu sheet to indicate our orders. Even though the choices seemed like the usual breakfast selection, the quality would shock us (in a good way) later.

My Travel Map

Comment

Starting breakfast with fruits, juice and a latte.

Followed by bakery items with butter and jam.

The beautiful breakfast spread we ordered, including a yoghurt bowl, side salad, Nasi Lemak and Smoked Salmon. Portion was not very big though.

The Nasi Lemak was topped with spicy crayfish. Rice was coloured with butterfly pea. Very instagrammable!

Similarly, the smoked salmon with avocado and egg pastry was exquisitely presented as well.

After breakfast, we checked out the gym and pool. Gym was very well equipped and sizable. Gym membership is available for non-hotel guests too.

The pool was big and deep (3m at deepest part), perfect to do laps.

Pool offers scenery of Downtown.

It was a pleasant stay at Parkroyal on Beach Road. Even though the hotel might not be in the same league as the 5 or 6 stars prestigious hotels, the newly renovated club rooms, friendly and welcoming service, available facilities, as well as very decent f&b offerings, does make the stay almost of similar standards as the big boys, and certainly value for money.

My Travel Map

Comment

#7 Andaz Singapore

Andaz Singapore
                  Andaz Studio Suite King

Over the months of November and December, I tried out even more hotel since I was clearing my vacation leave, and travels out of the country for leisure are prohibited anyway. Andaz Singapore is one of the most popular staycation hotels at the moment, and during their reopening, some fantastic offers were available for grabs, and we immediately booked one of the awesome studio suites, which came inclusive of breakfast and $100 dining credit for a very attractive rate.

Situated at the crossroads of the Kampong Glam, Little India and Bras Basah Bugis cultural districts — with their intimate shophouse-filled alleyways and atmospheric colours, textures and flavours — Andaz Singapore captures the essence of a traditional alleyway ambience and recreates the spirit of the surrounding neighbourhoods up in the sky. This boutique inspired luxury hotel, located on the 25th to 39th floors of DUO tower, offers 342 guestrooms and suites.

Arriving at the hotel on a Sunday. There was a bit of a queue and wait for check-in even, but it was managed well. There were 4 check-in desks at the ground floor lobby, and a couple more at 25th floor which some of the guests were directed to.

After a quick check-in, proceeded to our suite at the 31st floor. The interior of the hotel is quite stunning.

This stay was booked in the Andaz Studio Suite.

Unwind in this 76 sq m (818 sq ft) guestroom with a king-size bed, a day bed and floor-to-ceiling windows framing stunning views of Singapore’s skyline and Marina Bay area. With an entrance leading into the bedroom, the Andaz Studio Suite King features an additional living room, a bathtub, a powder room, a rain shower, and double sink vanities in the bathroom.

Immediately upon entering the suite is a guest toilet at the side.

This was followed by a walk-in wardrobe with a safe and shoeshine amenities.

Cheeky complimentary (I think so) room slippers.

On to the massive bedroom with a wonderous view from the full-length windows. There is a comfortable king bed, huge 55-inch TV, writing table, and a nostalgic rocking chair to relax to the grand view.

Simple and functional bedside tables on each side of the bed, with 2 bottles of water each.

Last edited by ycp81; 1 January 2021, 05:21 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Totally loved the humongous double-sink bathroom.

Amenities at the sink.

A separate cubicle for the toilet.

Shower cubicle and a bathtub with a view.

A view of the Singapore Flyer while soaking in the tub. Only wished the bathtub was bigger.

Bath amenities by Christophe Laudamiel. Quite pleasant and high quality amenities.

An additional amenity gift set is available for suite guests.

A cozy living room with sofa, mini bar and TV screen. Great area for lounging and relaxation.

My Travel Map

Comment

All the snacks and drinks in the minibar (other than spirits) are complimentary.

This include Nespresso coffee

Selection of TWG teas and tidbits

Chocolate, soft drinks, juice and beers.

From the suite, there is a view of the office building opposite, as well as the hotel pool (pardon the sun-shade dots on the window).

View towards the city from the living and bedroom.

We also pre-selected our breakfast choices, which would be delivered to the suite.

Part of the facility for all guests is the Sunroom, a basic lounge facility offering complimentary beverages. Only managed to get a photo of the beverages on offer.

My Travel Map

Comment

As part of the staycation, dining credit of $100 was included which can be used at all of the hotel's eateries and in-room dining. We decided to use the credits for dinner at Alley on 25, which also offered 25% off during dinner for hotel guests.

Conceived as the culinary hub of Andaz Singapore, Alley on 25 is a multi-cuisine, all-day dining venue, which recreates the fluid and spontaneous experience of Singapore street dining in the sky.

Link to menu below:

https://www.hyatt.com/content/dam/ho...5-NYE-Menu.pdf

Starting with a Pork Dumpling Soup, which was good.

For mains, we had the BBQ Pork Spare ribs. This dish was amazing, and would be a dish I come back for. Meat was very tender and flavorful, perfectly paired with the steamed rice.

Another dish was the Jerk Chicken. A piece of tender chicken with unique flavors.

Another chef recommendation, Linguine Gamberetti. Simple and al-dente with fresh, plump prawns.

Ending with the Andaz Signature Pandan Chiffon Cake. It was an unexpected huge piece of cake, pleasantly sweet and easily feeds 3-4 persons.

After dinner, we proceeded up to Mr Stork at the hotel rooftop to take in the night view. Unfortunately due to wet and drizzly weather, there were not many customers.

Nestled at the rooftop on Level 39, Mr Stork is an alfresco drinking and dining spot that offers 360-degree views of the city below. Mr Stork houses ten teepee huts and relaxed seating set amid lush tropical landscaping to best enjoy the breathtaking views.

Breathtaking night views from the hotel rooftop. Certainly an experience to remember.

My Travel Map

Comment

Since there were some dining credits remaining, we ordered an Impossible Burger for supper. It was my first try of the Impossible patty, and I must say it tasted almost similar to the real thing!

After a very comfortable sleep, breakfast room service arrived at the dot, while we were still in zzz-land. The staff delivered the dining trolley, and helped to lay the table in the living area. The breakfast offering was very generous! The spread was better than most hotels, and quality was good as well.

After the very wholesome and filling breakfast, took a break before heading down to the pool. Pool usage had to be reserved in advance and we were very lucky that our slot had the perfect sun. The day before, it was raining almost the entire day.

View of the flyer while tanning by the pool.

Spotted a small garden near the pool as well.

Back to the suite to admire the view till check-out time. Weather was excellent, offering fantastic views.

And it was with heavy heart that this short staycation has ended barely 21hrs after check-in. The fantastic suite, great dining and excellent value, certainly made the experience this best staycation so far. Since then, rates has gone significantly, and I doubt that I would be able to get such good value rates ever again for a stay at the Andaz Studio Suite.

My Travel Map

Comment

#8 Sofitel Singapore Sentosa Resort & Spa

Sofitel Singapore Sentosa Resort & Spa
                            Luxury King Room

The next staycation in November was a mid-week stay at Sofitel Sentosa Resort.

Sofitel Singapore Sentosa Resort & Spa is the newest French luxury 5-star resort hotel on Singapore's favourite island. Situated at the top of a cliff rising above Tanjong Beach, it is a haven of tranquility and relaxation blessed with stunning views of sunsets over the horizon. Greeting guests upon arrival in the lobby is a dazzling bespoke lighting installation inspired by the Milky Way hanging from the lofty ceiling. The entire property is cosseted in lush tropical greenery and overlooks the South China Sea. The 215-room hotel includes luxury rooms, suites and villas, and offers an array of delectable cuisines from around the world at its various F&B establishments. Facilities include indoor and outdoor event spaces, a state-of-the-art gym, children's playroom, complimentary internet access and shuttle services. Completing the experience for guests is a spacious swimming pool deck and the world's largest Sofitel Signature So SPA.

For this stay, I booked the Infinite Experiences package, which is full-board inclusive of 3 meals, at a pretty good deal. Drove to Sentosa and arrived at the resort for an early check-in at 12pm. As it was mid-week before the school holidays, early check-in was accomodated.

Arriving at the glamorous lobby.

Heading to our room after check-in, and viewing the resort grounds.

1st of the many peafowls we encountered during the stay.

The stay would be in the Luxury Room.

Luxuriate in absolute bliss in the extensive Luxury Room with warmth permeating every corner.

Conceived with your comfort in mind, it spans 36 square metres and invites you to indulge in surprising decorative touches such as flower-shaped knobs, deep gold elements and lush textures complementing the sumptuous bedding of your beguiling bed. Find peace and tranquility in your luxurious room.

Entering the room to a small doorway.

The bedroom itself is pretty good-sized, clean and bright, with a King-sized bed. Room design is also quite chic and elegant.

The mini bar offers Nespresso coffees and a selection of TWG teas.

The room looks out to greenery. Certainly felt like I am not in Singapore, but in some part of Bali or Phuket instead.

My Travel Map

Comment

Bathroom is of good size as well, with separate shower stall and bathtub.

Standard amenities provided. Bath and shower gels by Citron Fresh.

We then headed to The Cliff for our included lunch. Dinner would also be provided here.

Indulge in authentic flavours of Italy paired with a breathtaking sea view and stellar service. The Cliff dishes out an extensive selection of handmade pizzas, pastas and other Italian favourites delicately paired with the finest selection of premium wines. With exquisite Italian fare traditionally handmade yet with creative touches, expect an elevated experience at The Cliff.

My package included 3-course lunch and dinner for 2. Selection can be chosen from the menu, with some of the dishes requiring top-ups.

https://d2e5ushqwiltxm.cloudfront.ne...xperiences.pdf

Overview of our lunch.

To start, we had the Affettati Misti and Mussels steamed in Spicy Tomato. Both were very good starters.

Mains were a Braised Beef stew and indian-style Lamb Do Pyaza from Kwee Zeen menu (mains from Kwee Zeen also included in the package). Both dishes had very tender and flavorful meats.

Ending with a Yuzu Meringue Cake and Sicilian Cannoli. Both very sinful and filing desserts. Overall, a very satisfying lunch.

My Travel Map

Comment

Went for a dip in the pool in the late afternoon. As usual, pool bookings had to be made in advance, but it was not crowded during this period. As expected for a resort, pool is rather big, with many loungers to laze on.

Resident peacock just wandering around the resort grounds.

From the resort, it is possible to walk down to Tanjong Beach, where we went to catch the sunset.

In the evening, the resort is quite beautifully lit up.

Dinner was at The Cliff restaurant again, and as the same as lunch, we had a choice of 3-courses as well. Started with am Endive and Apple salad, which was relatively small portion.

And the Affettati Misti again, which was presented differently this time round.

We added on an Egg Fried Rice from the ala-carte menu. Simple homely dish.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                                X