How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    There are quite a few photography buffs here...anyone have suggestions for a new camera?

My spec is below...not sure if any single camera fits these requirements:

1. Most important requirement: takes good pictures (lens + sensor)

2. Need wide angle (Hotel pics), close-up (Food pics), telephoto (airport pics, air-to-ground pics). Ideally a zoom lens.

3. Not too large or heavy. Already have too much in my carry-on.

4. Shoots HD video. 4K nice to have, but not essential.

5. Optical image stabilization would be useful.

6. The camera will be used to shoot holidays, food and TRs. But folks here already know that.

Any advice appreciated!
    My major was actually in photography, but old school silver-gelatin as digital cameras weren't much good in the early 90's.

I actually choose not to get a DSLR, even though I was trained on SLR and large-format cameras, because it makes photography too much of an effort and because the sheer weight of so many lenses makes a tripod even more necessary. I also like to get discreet shots and a massive camera strapped around one's neck lets everyone know what you're up to.

I'm still so in love with my Canon G1X that I haven't looked to replace it even though it's almost 5 years old now. I teach with these cameras too. My only reservation in recommending the Canon Powershot G series is that more recent models have such a complex numbering system that I can't be sure which one to suggest. The highlight for me is that I've been able to get high quality photos at night in low light conditions. I've also enlarged a photo taken with it and used it as a full-wall mural behind my desk at work. Video has a bypass button which allows you to take video without changing camera mode and has been HD as standard since 2012 models. Different models have better lenses but are heavier. Lastly I really love the G1X because when I need to it can be stuffed into a jacket pocket.

Good luck with your decision!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      My major was actually in photography, but old school silver-gelatin as digital cameras weren't much good in the early 90's.

I actually choose not to get a DSLR, even though I was trained on SLR and large-format cameras, because it makes photography too much of an effort and because the sheer weight of so many lenses makes a tripod even more necessary. I also like to get discreet shots and a massive camera strapped around one's neck lets everyone know what you're up to.

I'm still so in love with my Canon G1X that I haven't looked to replace it even though it's almost 5 years old now. I teach with these cameras too. My only reservation in recommending the Canon Powershot G series is that more recent models have such a complex numbering system that I can't be sure which one to suggest. The highlight for me is that I've been able to get high quality photos at night in low light conditions. I've also enlarged a photo taken with it and used it as a full-wall mural behind my desk at work. Video has a bypass button which allows you to take video without changing camera mode and has been HD as standard since 2012 models. Different models have better lenses but are heavier. Lastly I really love the G1X because when I need to it can be stuffed into a jacket pocket.

Good luck with your decision!
      Thanks for sharing this, SQ228! Photography is an interesting subject / major...it is both an art and a science I think...will need tips from you on both next time we meet!

I agree with your comment that a small camera is more discreet...I think a lot of folks onboard the plane would turn and stare if I started snapping the type of pictures I snap with a big DSLR...with a compact, or better still an iPhone, most folks don't pay much notice...on the other hand, other folks like SQueeze do use a DSLR (I think) and the pictures are fantastic! Also need to get my hands on Kyo's Leica...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Sure thing, let me know... just saw the message you left

And just flew back in from BKK, so the camera is ready for you
        Sounds good! Am out of town for the next couple of weeks...will PM when I am back...

BKK over New Year must have been a lot of fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          I bought the M2 some years ago. And I still use it. As a compact, it's wonderful - light and portable. Great in low light, indoors especially museums etc. Noise is mostly tolerable if you use the pics for social media, etc.

The downside of the M2 to me was the autofocus. An example would be when shooting through a plane's window; it would focus on the window not the outside - I have to go into manual focus to deal with it (not easy if you use reading glasses). The other negative would be the battery - but easily solved by buying one or two spares.

I presume the M5 has solved the autofocus problem, though I understand that the battery performance is worse. Let me know how you test it.
          Seems quite a few folks here are fans of the Sony, whether M2, M3 or M5! Been reading reviews of the new M5 and most reviews have been very positive! The autofocus on the M5 seems pretty advanced now.

Comment

Sounds good! Am out of town for the next couple of weeks...will PM when I am back...

BKK over New Year must have been a lot of fun!
            Bangkok was fireworks-less this year. Well, one lone guy kept sending up one firework after another underneath Red Sky. He's probably locked up by now...

Sony's RX100 M5 is amazing for what it is.

BTW, there's a more affordable Leica option now, called the SoFort

Comment

Excellent name for a German camera.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                LOL, aren't you partly German?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  I looked it up...the SoFort is a very unusual, even strange, design!

Comment

LOL, aren't you partly German?
                    No, just fluent on days when I feel up to it...

For anyone unaware, sofort means immediately.

Comment

• Someone has been playing with a little red dot recently...

Comment

• I had lunch earlier this week with Kyo and Mrs yflyer at Baba Chews (They are an Asian/Peranakan-themed restaurant located in the old Joo Chiat Police Station Building, now renovated and part of the Holiday Inn hotel complex in Katong).

Over lunch, we checked out Kyo's camera and lenses, and snapped a few test pics. Thanks for introducing me to the world of Leica, Kyo! The M is an amazing piece of gear, and the lenses you showed me were quite incredible. I think I have a better understanding of why there is such a loyal fan base, both for the craftsmenship and engineering, as well as the art it inspires!

Thanks as well to HUGE AL, jhm, SQ228 and Alian for your help and suggestions on what camera to consider, either on this forum or via PM -- appreciated!

As it turned out, a relative of mine had a spare Olympus E-P2 and she offered to lend it to me, so that solved the short term issue.

And just earlier this week, my daughter said that she needed a DSLR for photography and filming in her course of study, and since she was familiar with the Canon DSLR loaners that they provided, she requested a Canon too, so it looks like I will need to go the Canon route so that she and I can share the camera...my job now is to convince here that a mirrorless EOS M5 is a better choice than those super heavy Canon DSLRs...
                        Last edited by yflyer; 3 February 2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• I played with the SoFort during lunch today and it is a rather chunky, unergonomic piece of kit. Very unrefined when compared with their latest M10 flagship indeed!

I'm glad you enjoyed the intro, yflyer, but you've barely dipped your toes in the water. We'll soon have you flying deep into war-torn areas in search of Pulitzer prize-winning money shots... just you wait!

Comment

I played with the SoFort during lunch today and it is a rather chunky, unergonomic piece of kit. Very unrefined when compared with their latest M10 flagship indeed!
                            Saw the SoFort on sale at Dixons in the airside shopping area of Heathrow T5 last week...

It is a really interesting piece of kit! Very plasticky compared to the M-Series...

Really wonder who they are targeting with this product. Not cheap either!

Needless to say, I did not part with my money...

Comment

• Producing a low-end film camera doesn't quite make sense in the current mass market .... unless like the rest of the Leica range, they are targeting the 0.0001% of the low-end consumer market.

Comment

Saw the SoFort on sale at Dixons in the airside shopping area of Heathrow T5 last week...

It is a really interesting piece of kit! Very plasticky compared to the M-Series...

Really wonder who they are targeting with this product. Not cheap either!

Needless to say, I did not part with my money...
                                I can tell you from looking at that display exactly who they are targeting. This camera is 2017's answer to the Polaroid. Now I understand why it's called Sofort- it's an Instamatic using a German word for instant. It's for the hipster photo crowd who want the coolest camera ever for Instagram. The red Kombi even references an iconic photo taken by an American photographer but given the German title „Der rote Bulli”- it's for Instagram trendsetters wanting bling.

Comment

Working...
                                X