Annoucement for self-printed boarding passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoucement for self-printed boarding passes

Effective from 15 December 2006, self printed boarding passes will be available systemwide, i.e. at all stations.

Are we talking about machine check-in systems, like UA's Easy Check-In (aka Mr. Chicken)?

As long as I get real BP and none of this thermal paper stuff, I'll be okay.

Comment

From SQ website FAQ

Self-Printed Boarding Passes

What are Self-Printed Boarding Passes?
      Singapore Airlines is pleased to present Self-Printed Boarding Passes. Now you can print your boarding pass after successfully performing Internet check-in. Once your check-in is confirmed, you will be given the option to print your boarding pass.

What do I need to print my Boarding Pass?
      Please ensure that the following are in place:

* You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader software. Click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader
      * Printer with minimum of 300dpi resolution
      * A4 or Legal Sized paper
      * Your pop-up blocker is disabled

Who can be issued Self-Printed Boarding Passes?
      This facility is available to Singapore Airlines flights departing from Singapore (except to the United States of Americas), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Jarkarta, Auckland, Amsterdam Athens, Beijing, Canton, Christchurch, Denpasar, Fukuoka, Hong Kong, Kansai, Lahore, Nagoya, Narita, Shanghai, Taipei and Zurich.

What are the benefits of having a Self-Printed Boarding Pass?
      You will not have to queue to check-in and collect your boarding passes. There will be designated counters you can go to endorse your boarding pass and check-in your bags.

What must I do when I arrive at the airport?
      Due to security requirements, we require that passengers proceed to designated counters for Boarding Pass endorsement and Baggage Check-in (for passengers with check-in Baggage)

If you are departing from Singapore, please proceed to Row 5 (for First and Business Class Passengers) or Row 9 (for Economy Class Passengers)

For all other Stations, please proceed to the respective Singapore Airlines Counter at the Airport.

What happens if my Self-Printed Boarding Pass is defective?
      You will be re-issued a new boarding pass at the airport counter.

Will I be able to print Boarding Passes for codeshare flights?
      Singapore Airlines has different codeshare arrangements with various airlines. In some cases, Singapore Airlines operates the codeshare flight and in other cases Singapore Airlines markets the codeshare flights operated by another airline. Internet Check-in can be initiated for codeshare flights operated by Singapore Airlines. It is also possible to check-in for selected connecting codeshare flights marketed by Singapore Airlines provided there is a preceding Singapore Airlines operated flight. Once Internet check-in is successful, you will be able to print your boarding passes.

How many flights will I be able to print my Boarding Passes for?
      You will be able to print boarding passes for selected flights departing from Singapore in your booking that are checked-in using the Internet.

Am I able to print Boarding Passes for my travelling companions?
      You can print Boarding Passes for your traveling companions if your travel companions are included in the same booking record as yours. Like Internet check-in, printing of Boarding Passes is limited to travel parties with a maximum size of 9.

What are the earliest and latest times for printing my boarding pass?
      Like Internet check-in, boarding passes can be printed within 48 hours to 2 hours before flight departure.

Comment

Oh. Never mind then.

I'll stick to my usual check-in ways. This preprinted program doesn't save time.

Comment

Does anyone know why SQ are insisting on self printed boarding passes being endorsed? They look the same as the BA ones that have been in use for some time and the QF ones that came in to use last month where a scanner is enough to check the validity. Perhaps SQ are lagging behind on the technology front

I can't see any advantage to them even on regional services with the endorsement requirement.

Comment

I remembered when it was introduced, I was not interested using this self-printed. Main reason is the need to get validation. And the ultimate reason is that I love those red-blue-green BP stubs.

I did use printed BP from my own computer flying BA F one time from YVR to LHR. Unfortunately, with just a piece of paper, the ground staff just assumed I was in Y, until I showed her/him the seat number.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK
              And the ultimate reason is that I love those red-blue-green BP stubs.
              That's the only reason for me.

Comment

If we need to get re-endorsement, what's the point of printing the BP? And what is the minimum time you need to get the re-endorsement?

Anyway, I too prefer to keep those original BPs!

Comment

Yes I really do not get this print your own boarding pass thing especially if you still have to queue to get it endorsed.

The BA scheme is better but still the only time it makes sense is if you are travelling with no checkin baggage. Which for me is very rare so this is one enhancement I think I will make very little use of.

Comment

Maybe SQ is reducing the LONG, CROWDED lines at the airport check-in counters

Correct me if I'm wrong
                    Last edited by AndrewSQ011; 17 December 2006, 02:38 PM.
                    "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

I was thinking about this, and maybe we individually can't see the time savings, but it works for SQ.

Let's assume for a full 744 flight (total of 372 pax), we have 6 check-in desks. So that's 62 passengers per agent. So maybe if online check-in saves some 15 seconds per passenger, then that would mean that the gate agents would be able to clear an entire flight 15 minutes faster.

Of course we're ignoring the inefficiencies and other things, but that's just my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                        The BA scheme is better but still the only time it makes sense is if you are travelling with no checkin baggage. Which for me is very rare so this is one enhancement I think I will make very little use of.
                        The BA scheme was introduced before the current ridiculous one-piece rule by BAA. My colleagues loved being to step off a cab and go directly to security. Now, it's usually possible only if they're on a one-day trip.

This SPBP+endorsement scheme would work if it re-assigned people from the long Y and J lines (even the Internet checkin lines were beginning to lengthen at SIN) towards a shorter endorsement line. I'm not sure that it offers much of an advantage for F pax, Solitaires, and of course, those who prefer the look and feel of traditional BPs (count me as one of those in the third category).
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Somebody mentioned that BA may withdraw the self-printed BP facility (or make it subject to endorsement) if the airlines start to collect additional APD on tix already booked and paid for.

Comment

Working...
                          X