Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scoot 787 to Bangkok: Floating Markets, IconSiam, and Sunday Brunch at the Sukhothai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoot 787 to Bangkok: Floating Markets, IconSiam, and Sunday Brunch at the Sukhothai

These days, when booking travel, my choice of airline has settled into a certain pattern: SIA for work travel, Scoot for leisure travel.

For business trips, my first choice continues to be SQ – the combination of convenient schedules out of Singapore, extreme punctuality and wonderful onboard service and cabin product, has been unbeatable.

While I would like to fly SQ for holidays too, and have done so in the past, these days the price differential between SQ and LCC’s (And even some other FSC’s) has been pretty huge.

For leisure travel, my travel booking routine goes like this: I first check out full service carrier airfares on the web, typically nonstops on SQ etc. Then I look at LCC’s, starting with Scoot, then Jetstar and Air Asia, and also one-stop options on full service carriers like CX or TG.

There are sometimes attractive promo fares on SQ, but often these are too restrictive to be useful.

For me, in recent months the most attractive combination of fares, timings and ticketing conditions have been on Scoot, which is how Mrs yflyer and I ended up flying to Bangkok for a weekend getaway on Scoot’s 787 Dreamliner service at the end of November this year.

Scoot flies A320’s and 787’s to Bangkok, and even flies to two different Bangkok airports: the sprawling hub at Suvarnabhumi (BKK), as well as the older, but more centrally located, Don Mueang Airport (DMK).

On such a short 2 hour flight, one might argue that there isn’t that much difference between a narrowbody A320 and a widebody 787, however the added comfort of a widebody is undeniable, whatever the sector length.

I booked both SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN sectors on flights operated by the Dreamliner, both of which were packed chock full of mainly holiday travellers.

On this trip, we stayed at the W Bangkok in Sathorn, a swank and very stylish hotel that I had stayed at previously. I wanted to introduce the W to Mrs yflyer, since I had raved so much about it to her after my last stay there.

This was a leisure trip. While I had been to Bangkok several times before, those were always work trips, and I had seen almost nothing. On this occasion, with Mrs yflyer in charge of the itinerary, we had a packed weekend, where we saw a lot of Bangkok…

We visited one of Bangkok’s famous floating markets…

…as well as Bangkok’s newest mall, IconSiam…

We also checked out the amazing Sunday Brunch at the Sukhothai…

TR INDEX

1. Flight – Scoot TR616 SIN-BKK
    2. Hotel – W Bangkok
    3. Run – Lumphini Park
    4. Destination – Latmayom Floating Market
    5. Destination – IconSiam Mall
    6. Dining – Royal Osha
    7. Dining – Sunday Brunch at the Sukhothai
    8. Flight – Scoot TR617 BKK-SIN
    9. Final Reflections
    Last edited by yflyer; 22 April 2023, 01:40 AM.

Scoot now operates out of Changi Terminal 1.

We Grab’ed our way to T1 on a Friday evening at the end of November for our flight to Bangkok.

It was a wet and grey evening on the day of our departure. Thankfully the T1 driveway had a covered roof which extended all the way to Jewel, which was just across from T1.

The “Kinetic Rain” sculpture in the T1 departure area was still as eye-grabbing as ever…

I have been Krisflyer Gold for years, and I was not looking forward to the Scoot check-in experience without the benefit of priority check-in counters, but at their new departure area in T1, Scoot had a large enough check-in zone, with ample self-service check-in machines, as well as roving staff, to make the check-in process quite painless. Self check-in at the automated kiosks was quick and straightforward.

Similarly, the process of self-printing, and attaching, baggage labels, and bringing them to the self-service bag drop was also quite straightforward…

So far so good…the overall Changi T1 check-in experience on Scoot was quick and painless, even without any priority or special status.

There was a line at the automated gates, with many pax, both local and foreign, still very confused about how the system worked, but it didn’t take too long to clear the passport checks.

The airside departure area was decorated in a combination of Christmas décor and Frozen 2 décor from Disney.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 December 2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

At the gate, Scoot 787-8 Dreamliner rego 9V-OFG...

Unlike parent company SIA, Scoot names each of their aircraft. This aircraft was named “Kama Scootra”. Believe it or not, there are even wackier names in Scoot’s fleet. For a full list, see the thread started by fellow SQTalker [B]FSJZ[/B ], with yuuka miya’s latest fleet info update here.

This list of Scoot aircraft names is the best evidence I have seen to disprove the assertion that Singaporeans are too serious and have no sense of humour…

On time boarding…

Our seat was in the main economy cabin, with blue seats laid out in 9-abreast 3-3-3.

These seats came without adjustable headrests, with the seat headrest cover extending across both the front and back of the seat, with advertising printed on both sides.

Seat recline was decent…

Seat pitch was fine as well…

Seat width was typical of 9-abreast Dreamliners: narrower than the equivalent seats on a 9-abreast 777 or A350, but no different from the vast majority of 787 Y seats on other full service carriers. Regulars on SQTalk will know that I personally dislike 9-abreast on the 787 because of these slightly narrower Y seats compared to some other aircraft types, but I think this seat configuration is fine for an LCC, and more than adequate for a short sector like SIN-BKK.

Armrests went all the way up…

Large tray table…

There were A/C power sockets available, however in the Y cabin, these were only enabled if you were willing to pay your PUB bill: You had to contact the cabin crew to enable A/C power at your seat for an additional charge…

Still one of my favourite features of the 787: Electronically adjustable window shades…

The bathrooms had mottled grey counter tops…

Comment

One thing I did find about catching a Scoot flight to Bangkok on a Friday evening: the flight had quite a festive, party atmosphere.

The mood felt very different from weekday flights on SQ to Bangkok that I had taken previously, where there were usually a large proportion of business travellers.

On this full flight, almost everyone around us seemed to be relaxed, and in high spirits…

As there was no IFE onboard, the safety demo was conducted manually…

Pushback and take-off on a wet evening…

Comment

The F&B cart came round shortly after take-off…

I browsed the Scoot menu…

Mains at $12…

Instant noodles…

Snacks (Including Old Chang Kee curry puffs!)…

…and ice cream…

If you were willing to pay, you were arguably treated to a larger selection of food and snacks than on many full service carriers…

Beverages…

A liquor selection was also available, although the bar was not as well stocked as on SQ or other full service airlines…

As this was just a short flight, Mrs yflyer and I decided not to eat, and instead just have beverages: sparkling water and a little red wine…

The wine came with its own little plastic wine glass. Ice was also available if needed…

Comment

Wifi was available on this flight, but I doubt many folks purchased wifi, given the short flight duration…

Wifi was provided by T-Mobile…

Comment

I took a stroll around the cabin…

Up front, ScootPlus (Previously known as ScootBiz) was laid out in a comfortable 2-3-2…

There was also a small Y cabin called the “Quiet Zone”, a more peaceful part of the cabin, with seats fitted with adjustable headrests and a yellow/blue seat pattern: you would need to pay extra to sit there. Mrs yflyer was a fan of this “Quiet Zone” for longer sectors, but for this short SIN-BKK sector, she did not insist that we sit there.

In the regular Y cabin, certain preferred seats, such as emex and bulkhead seats, also had the same yellow/blue seat pattern and adjustable headrests, not to mention extra legroom. You had to pay extra to sit in these yellow/blue seats.

Cabin ambience on this 787 was great…much more spacious and open than on a narrowbody like an A320 or 737.

Last edited by yflyer; 30 December 2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

We landed on time in BKK at 7.15pm local time, just a few minutes later than scheduled.

The cabin lights came on in rainbow hues as we deplaned…

The vast BKK terminal building…

We used the automated passport gates (Singapore passport holders were eligible) and were out into the baggage claim area very quickly. Our luggage did not take too long to arrive either.

At that hour of the evening, the AOT Limousine service was completely out of cars, so we decided to take the regular taxis instead. The taxi queue was longish, but the queue moved quickly, with an automated system of assigning taxi bays working reasonably well to move the queue along…

You touched a button on the screen to receive a ticket showing the bay number…

…then went to the bay to board your taxi…

After a short wait in the queue, we were on our way to the W Bangkok…

Comment

The W hotel was in Sathorn, a short walk from Chong Nongsi BTS station, and not far from Lumphini Park.

Apart from the tower block, a heritage building, The House on Sathorn, was also part of the hotel, housing a bar and restaurants.

A large, stylish lobby, all dark glass and marble with splashes of purple…

Complimentary rose iced tea and fruit in the lobby…

As on my previous stay, we were given an upgrade from a “Wonderful” room to a “Spectacular” room category. This room really was spectacular…

A large comfortable King bed, with a pair of signature gold-sequinned oversized boxing gloves on the bed, and a purple frosted glass screen (With retractable privacy blind) separating the main bedroom from the bathroom.

Long glass worktop with good connectivity and power…

An impressive for-purchase minibar selection…

Biscuits and salt caramel dip in a tube…

Large open plan bathroom with separate shower stall…

…and standalone bath tub…

Large curved windows which spanned almost the length of the room…

This was a wonderful (I mean spectacular…) room.

Comment

The next morning I opened the windows to reveal a very nice view of the Bangkok skyline…

On this trip, we spent time each evening at the Woo Bar in the lobby…

This bar was popular with both visitors and hotel guests…

Their signature cocktail, Forever Pink was a gin creation topped with a gigantic ball of candy floss…

This was very popular for photos for the Instragram crowd, but it seemed like too much sugar for us, considering how much we were planning to eat in Bangkok, so we gave that a miss.

There were many other cocktails to sample…

…comprising both original creations and standards…

Other facilities included an outdoor pool (More suited for pool parties than a serious workout…)…

And a gym…

…complete with boxing training equipment…

Our stay did not include breakfast, but we couldn’t resist indulging in the W’s excellent buffet breakfast on Saturday morning...

More pics from the W’s breakfast buffet spread in a previous TR here.

Comment

We had some big meals planned for this trip, so each morning I headed out for a run to Lumphini Park.

My run started at the W….

I crossed the overpass at the Sathorn-Naradhiwat intersection, which was decorated with a large Christmas tree….

…before continuing down N Sathorn Road, towards Lumphini Park…

On both Saturday and Sunday morning, Lumphini Park was filled with visitors, who were either walking, running or simply enjoying the idyllic park environment…

I joined the crowd in doing a lap around the park…

…enjoying the views of the city and the park as I ran…

At one point, at 8am, music began to play and everyone, including runners and walkers, stopped what they were doing and stood at attention (Myself included).

I later learned that this happened in Bangkok twice a day: at 8am and 6pm, when the Thai National Anthem was played. Apparently this happened not just in Lumphini Park, but in public spaces all over Bangkok.

There was also a food centre on the grounds of Lumphini Park, and it was doing roaring business.

I began and ended my circuit of Lumphini Park at the clock tower…

…and retraced my steps back along Sathorn Road…

Back to the W…

Total distance for this route was about 6.5km…just right for a daily run!

Last edited by yflyer; 28 December 2019, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Mrs yflyer suggested that we visit the Latmayom Floating Market, which was about 40 minutes away from the W by taxi.

There are many floating markets in Bangkok. We decided on Latmayom as it was one of the closest to central Bangkok.

There were boat tours that would take you on a ride along the river, to a nearby temple, then back again…

This market had more of a land-based section than a floating section, but that was fine, given how interesting the land-based market was.

Some of the fresh seafood on sale…

I had never seen prawns like these before…

There were stalls selling all manner of raw, marinated and cooked food…

Cockles…

Crabs full of roe…

Seafood on skewers…

Comment

Grilled prawns…

Salt-encrusted whole BBQ fish…

Grilled over charcoal…

Quite reasonable prices for a whole fish, each freshly salted and grilled just minutes before…

We could not resist ordering one…

…which came with an accompaniment of greens and piquant, spicy sauce…

The salt did an amazing job of sealing in the juices within the fish…the fish was so moist and tender…

I also sampled the delicious noodles on offer…

Very satisfying…

Last edited by yflyer; 28 December 2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

All these dishes could be eaten at various common dining areas around the market…

There was a mindboggling range of local desserts on offer…

The array of food on sale was a feast for the senses…

It was quite an experience walking through the market…at some point sensory overload probably set in…

This was a very different side of Bangkok, one that you would never see if you stayed in the city. This was well worth the taxi ride out of Bangkok to visit.

To return to Bangkok, we simply hailed one of the taxi’s plying the street outside the market.

Comment

Right next to the W was one of the tallest buildings in Bangkok, the King Power Mahanakhon…

This had an observation deck and a Skywalk. We didn’t have time on this trip to head up there, but from ground level we could see folks on the glass Skywalk either enjoying the view or sh*tting their pants…

Comment

Working...
                              X