New BOC Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BOC Card

Bank of China Singapore has just launched a new miles earning credit card - Elite Miles World Mastercard. It's not on their website yet, but was advertised in newspapers yesterday. 2 miles per S$ in local currency spend and 5(!!) miles per S$ equivalent foreign currency spend until 31 December 2018. After that earn rate goes to 1.5/3 miles per S$. No cap on mileage earning. The only catch appears to be the fairly rapid expiry of the points earned if not converted to miles. I just picked up the application form at their roadshow in Raffles Place. I'm switching all my business expenses to this card, at least until the end of the year.
    Last edited by 259850; 24 July 2018, 04:17 PM.

Was there any fine print about a fee for converting the points to miles?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
      Was there any fine print about a fee for converting the points to miles?
      $30+GST per conversion, in blocks of 10,000 miles. Nothing outrageous. The Milelion website has a decent writeup on the card. (And so does MainlyMiles now.)

I dropped my application in the mail this morning. Let's see how quickly they turn it around; a BOC card I had previously took 3 weeks.
      Last edited by 259850; 25 July 2018, 05:37 PM. Reason: Adding in reference to MainlyMiles to show my neutrality in the healthy competition between 2 excellent travel hacking blogs.

Comment

It's been slightly over a month, no card received yet

Comment

Hmm, promising. Only a month so far . Honestly, I'm interested in the card as much aa anyone keen on maximizing mileage earning from CC spend, but my faith in BOC and their ability to execute and provide some basic service is minimal at best. Waiting for experiences from the brave souls that took the plunge first.

Comment

Just checked with the Credit Bureau.. saw my application was submitted on the 7th Aug. Dropped application on 23 July.. Just a data point here

FYI the report is free if you have recently applied for a credit facility or loan.

Comment

My CBS report was accessed by BOC on August 10th, so they are on it.

I held a different BOC credit card previously. My experience with them was fine other than the slow application process and a non-intuitive online platform (you need to go to the branch to set it up*). The mobile app is better.

BOC's call center for credit cards is in Singapore and the few times I called, I had all my questions answered competently. In addition, BOC's rebates on the cashback card I held were calculated accurately. The same can't be said of some other international and local banks.

* BOC's banking hall in Raffles Place is probably the only one left in Singapore with the old world charm of grand banking halls. So I'm not complaining.

Comment

https://milelion.com/2018/08/31/what...rld-mastercard

Look at the comments. Shocking. I applied on the first day of the roadshow too - card has not arrived. CBS check was made mid August.

I have decided not to use the card even if it arrives. Suspect there will be much more pain to come from BOC.

I called to enquire on the status of the card. Had to call twice. First call I got put through to a PRC speaker after selecting English. PRC speaker pretended to speak English but was incomprehensible.

Comment

Actually I am not surprised by the way they do things. Due to my frequent visits to PRC many years back, I had applied for their BOC Unionpay platinum card. The welcome pack came with some F&B vouchers of which 2 of the restaurants had already closed down. Didn't know it at first and went down to use the voucher only to find the place deserted.

Comment

Working...
                  X