Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upstairs, Downstairs! First Trip on SIA's New A380 to Sydney: SQ221/232 SIN-SYD-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bravo, yflyer (or should I now say Rflyer ), you have set your own bar higher. This is truly a TR for the ages!

The route you ran in Sydney is definitely amazing. Since you mention the Harbour Bridge, if you go there with family next time, I would recommend a bridge climb if you feel like it!

Also, nice cameo by David Bowie next to the Italian restaurant...

The new Suites configuration definitely looks more private than the previous one, and has less of a "cubicle" feel too.

I really appreciate how the J now has a button for reclining.

Comment

THE trip report of 2018. Well done Rflyer

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        Originally Posted by yflyer
        Dom Perignon 2006...
        Vintage 2004 Krug...
        Cos D'Estournel 2006...
        Henschke Keyneton Euphonium Red Wine from Barossa Valley...
        shot of vodka with your caviar...
        Port Phillip Estate Chardonnay 2013...
        Paringa Estate Pinot Noir...
        a glass of 20 year Tawny Port...
        A few sips of Johnny Walker Blue Label...
        a final glass of Macallan Lumina…
        Did you drink the plane dry?
        Originally posted by yflyer View Post
        Your list didn't include the drinks I had in the lounge before boarding!
        I know! He spent all that time compiling an incomplete list!
        HUGE AL

Comment

I have a change of heart. After seeing the Suites pics with the bed put down, it seems so cozy and comfortable. How's the mattress? Since there is so much space, installing it permanently like what LH did on their upper deck 744 would make a permanently cozy space like in a real hotel room. I really liked that product! Real mattress i think. Was very comfortable and seems thick.

As for business class, It's really not winning me over ever. It looks narrow, slim, and it has worryingly so many folds and gaps in bed position... Not looking forward to try. Please bring me back 2013 J seat! what is wrong with those!

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post

As for business class, It's really not winning me over ever. It looks narrow, slim, and it has worryingly so many folds and gaps in bed position... Not looking forward to try. Please bring me back 2013 J seat! what is wrong with those!
            Agreed. Though it does look somewhat nicer in these actual cabin pics as opposed to the mock ups - personally for me the lack of width and overall aesthetic appearance of the seat makes it a downgrade over the 2013 J.

Comment

Given that I may never fly on the old or new Suites, I'm glad someone like you managed to come up with such a detailed and entertaining TR, yflyer! It really is almost like experiencing it first hand! Btw, were the pictures taken with your iPhone? They look great!

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this TR!!

When will it be my turn to enjoy the new suites (if ever)! Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

The new Suites pics are almost close to the ones you'd see in the Etihad 'Residence' apartments.

Comment

Originally posted by GR1 View Post
                    Wow, yflyer, this is a mind blowing TR. Such an in depth attention to detail.. It is really very much appreciated, keep up the awesome work.
                    Thanks, GR1!

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                    Bravo, yflyer (or should I now say Rflyer ), you have set your own bar higher. This is truly a TR for the ages!
                    Thanks, SQGamespeed! In this case just one-time yflyeR

The route you ran in Sydney is definitely amazing. Since you mention the Harbour Bridge, if you go there with family next time, I would recommend a bridge climb if you feel like it!
                    The bridge climb is definitely on my to-do list! Just haven't found the time to get to it yet! I believe it takes several hours including the briefings etc.

The new Suites configuration definitely looks more private than the previous one, and has less of a "cubicle" feel too.
                    Yes very private, especially when the sliding doors are closed...

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    THE trip report of 2018. Well done Rflyer
                    Thanks very much, 9V-SIA!

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    I know! He spent all that time compiling an incomplete list!
                    For completeness, what I had in the lounge was:

- A glass of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label

...and sips (I emphasize sips! To taste!) of:

- Palliser Estate Pinot Noir 2014
                    - Parker Coonawarra Terra Rosa Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
                    - Corrina Wright Yarnbomb McLaren Vale Shiraz 2015....

I have a change of heart. After seeing the Suites pics with the bed put down, it seems so cozy and comfortable. How's the mattress?
                    The mattress was fine to me...it didn't come across as either too hard or too soft. That said, some other people have commented that it was on the firm side. I personally found it quite comfortable.

As for business class, It's really not winning me over ever. It looks narrow, slim, and it has worryingly so many folds and gaps in bed position... Not looking forward to try.
                    Hope you do try it though, and report back on how it is!

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
                    Given that I may never fly on the old or new Suites, I'm glad someone like you managed to come up with such a detailed and entertaining TR, yflyer! It really is almost like experiencing it first hand! Btw, were the pictures taken with your iPhone? They look great!
                    Thanks very much, 9V-SML! Yes, all photos taken with my iPhone X!

Originally posted by banoffi View Post
                    Thoroughly enjoyed reading this TR!!

When will it be my turn to enjoy the new suites (if ever)! Thanks for sharing!!
                    Thanks, Banoffi!

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    The new Suites pics are almost close to the ones you'd see in the Etihad 'Residence' apartments.
                    Still trying to find a reason/excuse to try those!

Comment

• Just came across your TR, and as always, thanks for sharing such a detailed one with us yflyer!

Comment

• If you do get to try those, keep us posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarG View Post
                          Just came across your TR, and as always, thanks for sharing such a detailed one with us yflyer!
                          Thanks very much, StarG!

Comment

• Most definitely a TR tour de force! Well done, yflyer or is it RFLYER now, as SQGamespeed suggests!

The photography is super! The details are comprehensive!

Sam Chui, watch out!

Comment

• My god yflyer, the only thing more impressive than your always-excellent trip reports are your amazing runs! You must be quite the distance/endurance runner.

And then there are the food pics...

How did you score 71K? Did you have to pay for that seat?

Am now just about to start reading your return flight in R (can’t wait) but had to leave these comments first!

Comment

• If you don’t mind me asking, did it cost you a lot of cash + miles to upgrade from economy to Suites? Was there a reason you elected to travel in Suites on the return flight home, instead of ex-SIN where you could’ve enjoyed TPR?

I think it’s so odd that a candle is offered as an inflight amenity. I hope there are instructions not to light it onboard in case people get too carried away!

I still can’t believe no one at SQ realised (or cared) that there is zero privacy during meal service or when you’re watching TV, with the suite doors open. You are literally across the aisle from your neighbour in plain sight and full view. A real design flaw imo. Another being the loss of true companion dining: I had to laugh at the sight of that padded stool. Talk about dressing up lamb as mutton!

Thank you for another immensely enjoyable TR yflyer.

Comment

Working...
                                X