No announcement yet.

Confirmed : SQ to start flights to DUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have attended SQ´s party in the evening in DUS. It was really nice. We have been on a cruise ship on the Rhine river. Approx. 95% of the guests were travel agents, representatives from tourisme organizations etc. Only a few clients have been there.
    It was really nice, they even had the bartender from the Raffles hotel in Singapore who mixed Singapore slings. Various food and bar stations provided good food and drinks.
    At the end we were also given the same goodie bags.
    I am flying the new nonstop beginning of AUG and am looking forward to it.

Comment

With CX pulling out of DUS, is that good news from SQ?

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...xe-dusseldorf/

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        With CX pulling out of DUS, is that good news from SQ?

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...xe-dusseldorf/
        I would guess so but hard to say. There are major connections between DUS and both Japan and Korea. I don't think any MH, GA or TG serve DUS, but connecting via HKG would be a less direct route for those areas. Korea and Japan have direct flights with their own carriers.

Interesting to note in that article: CX & LH joint-venture?? Interesting...

Comment

I don't think there is a service from DUS to Korea?

From memory, ANA, CX, SQ and CA started to serve DUS in pretty quick sucesssion. I suppose it is inevitable at least one of these would be the odd one out and it appears CX is that airline. I'm sure *A connections have helped the remaining three, so perhaps this will strengthen SQs position at DUS moving forward.

Not entirely sure what the LH/CX JV entails, or whether it includes the wider Lufthansa group...

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
            I don't think there is a service from DUS to Korea?

From memory, ANA, CX, SQ and CA started to serve DUS in pretty quick sucesssion. I suppose it is inevitable at least one of these would be the odd one out and it appears CX is that airline. I'm sure *A connections have helped the remaining three, so perhaps this will strengthen SQs position at DUS moving forward.

Not entirely sure what the LH/CX JV entails, or whether it includes the wider Lufthansa group...
            You're right, I made an error in my assumption about Korea. I'm surprised now that I look closely how few Asian airlines are flying to DUS. I know CX, SQ & CA are recent additions but although ANA began direct flights in 2014, previously they had a dedicated shuttle bus that met every flight at FRA. JAL began direct flights back in 1985 but are no longer on the scene. DUS is supposedly the largest community of Japanese outside of Japan.

The plan with DUS as I understand it, was after approaches made by the city and region to connect its trade fair to Asia as the city concentrates heavily on fashion and clothing. The front end of the plane is meant to be filled with visiting business people from Asia. Not sure how well that cabin is doing. The back of the plane is doing quite well from the number of flights I've been on. It's mostly German tourists heading to places like Bali, Cebu, Viet Nam, Thailand etc. Not a lot of English being spoken, mostly German. I hear a lot of ads for SQ on Düsseldorf radio, but can't recall having heard any about CX.

Comment

I'm sure *A connections have helped the remaining three, so perhaps this will strengthen SQs position at DUS moving forward.
              There are hardly any *A connections worth talking about. LH has more or less ceased providing flights from/to DUS and pushed most intra-european/german flights to EW.

My guess: SQ will cease DUS flights within this Finacial Year. The loadfactors seem not too good, they trying to promote DUS quite a bit. Its tough to survive with point-to-point as SQ is offering not the best connectivities in Asia, pretty limited to SEA and OZ. Not sure if this is enough to survive against ME3.

Comment

I certainly hope they maintain the A350 on this flight for the next year.. have two J saver booked to DUS from SIN

Comment

I hope SQ can make DUS work for them. Perhaps CX pulling out will cede some of the market to SQ (as opposed to the MEB3).

I have no idea how SQ or ANA are doing. There was a diversion of an ANA B789 where it was reported to have 133 passengers and crew on board, which is obviously a very light load.

I'd heard ANA were considering adding a tag to this route, perhaps this is something SQ could try at DUS?

Comment

I'd heard ANA were considering adding a tag to this route, perhaps this is something SQ could try at DUS?
                    Not a bad idea at all. My suggestion would be DUB. It's a very popular on the Kangaroo Route and recent QF decisions indicate Australians would rather fly via SE Asia than the gulf. There are currently no Asian carriers flying to DUB. CX is planning to start in June next year.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanL View Post
                      I certainly hope they maintain the A350 on this flight for the next year.. have two J saver booked to DUS from SIN
                      You can bet I want it maintained too!

Currently have 3 flights in or out of DUS booked in the first half of next year.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        Not a bad idea at all. My suggestion would be DUB. It's a very popular on the Kangaroo Route and recent QF decisions indicate Australians would rather fly via SE Asia than the gulf. There are currently no Asian carriers flying to DUB. CX is planning to start in June next year.
                        I think DUB is a decent suggestion.

I'd query whether it might lead to the same situation in DUB as we have seen in DUS with CX opening HKG-DUB.

The Kangaroo route is an interesting slice of the pie but I don't think it is the be all and end all. According to OAG, the largest Europe-Australia market (by far) is London (LHR & LGW) at around 1.3m. After that, you are looking at Paris (circa 250k) and Manchester (circa 225k). There are then a clutch of cities around the 180-160k mark, including Frankfurt, Rome, Dublin and Amsterdam.

Speaking for MAN (the market I am most familiar with) much of its traffic over the MEB4, CX, SQ, HU is to India and Africa (currently no direct flights) as well as Asia and Australasia. Ireland is (understandably) a very Atlantic nation, and I don't know if it has the breadth of market covering SIN as O&D as well as SQ's connecting options (excluding oz) to sustain a similar market to MAN facing east just yet but perhaps a DUS tag is a good way to explore this?

Comment

With CX starting DUB, it would not be clever for SQ to follow. DUB might have a potential to OZ, but for two carriers fighting for the same piece of the cake? ME3 is there already.

SQ followed CX to DUS. Was it a clever move? I doubt it. Loadfactors were between 52% to 76%. The recent month apr, may, jun were all below 70%. Doesnt look encouraging.
                          Last edited by SQ025; 14 September 2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

If DUS is cancelled, where can the excess capacity be used (if anywhere)?

Australasia (BNE)? Europe? India?

Comment

In Europe VIE? BRU maybe, even so nowadays its quite easy to connect to AMS via Thalys.

I doubt also that ARN will work, the stop in DME is not making the flight an attractive option (TG is offering a direct flight into Asia with slightly better connectivity ex-BKK). So more A350 to become free?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                                In Europe VIE? BRU maybe, even so nowadays its quite easy to connect to AMS via Thalys.

I doubt also that ARN will work, the stop in DME is not making the flight an attractive option (TG is offering a direct flight into Asia with slightly better connectivity ex-BKK). So more A350 to become free?
                                BRU is very much closer to AMS than DUS and CX is also looking at BRU. I'm not sure why SQ began ARN when they could have gone daily A350 on CPH and used their partnership with SK, but possibly because that plane would otherwise sit at DME for longer. ARN allows them to offer more regular flights to DME by adding overall passenger numbers and it doesn't cost them much in terms of plane availability as it fills in a gap. The costs would be whatever fuel is required DME-ARN-DME, but significantly the extra crewing and layover arrangements.

I love the idea of VIE (it's the European city I spend the second-most amount of time in after DUS), but it possibly suffers the same problems that flying to BER would- not enough business traffic, too many tourists.

Comment

Working...
                                X