No announcement yet.

Scraping the Andes with LATAM and adventures in Bolivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post my climb, Argentina was my treat. And the following pics are more like resort trip report.

I stayed at the wine resort called The Vines - http://www.vinesresortandspa.com/

They sell land here (plot of vineyard), and they can make your own wine.

It was already autumn and the golden colours of the vineyards were glorious

Stunning vista across the pool!

It's an all-villa property, and one of the most luxurious hotel I have been to

Amazing amazing time (considering that i came down from a really rough journey)

And there I was, just doing nothing, recuperating, at the private terrace of my villa

Thank you for reading this far. Enjoy.
    Last edited by SQueeze; 31 July 2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
      And there I was, just doing nothing, recuperating, at the private terrace of my villa

Thank you for reading this far. Enjoy.
      Jawdropping photo (And resort), SQueeze!

I googled The Vines, it looks like a spectacular resort!

The name of the chef in the restaurant there, Francis Mallman, also rang a bell: He was featured in one of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown episodes...quite a famous chef. A couple of interesting news article on him here and here.

Comment

Yflyer,

The Vines is the perfect resort for me (since I am a hot-weather-avoider and not a beach guy).

Are you into wine? The resort is in the winery. It's an interesting concept which I have yet to encounter elsewhere. I think usually there is B&B but this is a full fledged resort. They have wine tours to their own winery but also to others. One can also buy a plot and grow your own grapes and make wine to your specification and they will bottle it for you.

It's about 2 hour drive from Mendoza airport. Very secluded and romantic. Every few days they organise a special dinner with music and I think it's on a communal table like shown in one of the links you showed me. It would have been an interesting experience but it was cancelled the 2 nights I was there due to 'lack of interest' according to the concierge. I think the crowd there also tends to prefer privacy. And I prefer to dine in the villa as well rather than the restaurant.

Mallman's food was good but I was then craving more for Asian and esp Japanese food after almost a month in the Andes eating quinoas and potatoes.

Are you going to bring MrsFlyer to the Vines for a second honeymoon ? You were researching quite a bit (into Mallman) straight away

Comment

The Vines is the perfect resort for me (since I am a hot-weather-avoider and not a beach guy).
          I'm for any kind of resort with a good view (whether of the beach/sea or of mountains) and a decent running route...

Are you into wine? The resort is in the winery. It's an interesting concept which I have yet to encounter elsewhere. I think usually there is B&B but this is a full fledged resort. They have wine tours to their own winery but also to others. One can also buy a plot and grow your own grapes and make wine to your specification and they will bottle it for you. \
          Not a wine collector, and not an expert taster either (See here for more on that!) but I do enjoy wines, especially if they are part of a wine pairing with dinner. And trips to wine regions like Napa or Barossa to taste wine at various wineries are always fun, as long as there is someone else to drive...I would definitely enjoy Mendoza for the wines...is there a good tasting route?

It's about 2 hour drive from Mendoza airport. Very secluded and romantic. Every few days they organise a special dinner with music and I think it's on a communal table like shown in one of the links you showed me. It would have been an interesting experience but it was cancelled the 2 nights I was there due to 'lack of interest' according to the concierge. I think the crowd there also tends to prefer privacy. And I prefer to dine in the villa as well rather than the restaurant.
          These dinners sound like exactly the thing Mrs yflyer and I would enjoy! Too bad they were cancelled while you were there...

Mallman's food was good but I was then craving more for Asian and esp Japanese food after almost a month in the Andes eating quinoas and potatoes.
          I can probably last 5-6 days max without some Asian rice or noodle dish...then I really crave at least one Asian meal before I can go back to the foreign diet...

Are you going to bring MrsFlyer to the Vines for a second honeymoon ? You were researching quite a bit (into Mallman) straight away
          Always on the lookout for interesting vacation spots, and Vines / Mendoza does look like the sort of place for a major anniversary vacation! Maybe combined with other places in Latin America like Rio de Janeiro, or even Peru / Chile...Of course these things are costly so it would have to be a VERY special occasion! Certainly a place I would love to visit together with Mrs yflyer! Thanks for sharing your impressions of the place with us!

Comment

Gorgeous TR. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X