From Asia to Europe: 7 cities in 7 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely compelling reading.

You should consider writing a novel. Something that would allow a "safer" view into that which you are feeling and experiencing.

I'm sorry that you are in such pain, but grateful that you share a small piece of it with your readers.

Greg

Comment

Yet another awesome TR. And thanks for the informative section on Budapest, saves some research time for me.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Synchronicity

It’s windy and cold today. It’s snowing lightly outside. Few people were down for breakfast, hotel does not seem too busy, but who cares. The music was nice, but can’t reproduce it here. Met Ben, one of the waiters, very nice guy. You know, sometimes you meet some people and you don’t connect with all of them the same way. Some are typical, some indifferent, some look at you in the eye and you can tell they understand a lot more that what’s just being said or referenced. Ben is one of them.

Breakfast was very lonely without her. That’s important. Of course it’s always like that, meaning when you are not with your loved one, even for a day, you feel lonely. But this feeling is naturally amplified if you just had a small argument or if you feel you have made a mistake and hurt the other person, and these things happen in life, I know.

View from my room at the Le Meridien Budapest.

Comments like those by PaintHorse, upright man, greg99 and the rest of you make me wanna write more, and give me courage in times of difficulty. She has not replied to my email of last night, no, I won’t call her, she’s busy and I don’t like disturbing her. I think we’ll meet again, but again, you never know what will happen. That’s not the issue, though. The issue is the deep dive in your inner world, the confrontation with your weaknesses, the identification of all those things you need to straighten up or even get rid of, the changes that have to be effected, the opportunity presented at you. And this is something I will take care of from now on. This is a priority. If I’m destined to be with that girl as well that’ll be so important, but first things first. Others don’t have to (and shouldn’t) put up with things you’re not done with. Take your prejudice and criticism out of your life first, then your relationship will be much better and so you can start building on if you both want to.

She also said (long time ago) that I write well. She has told me repeatedly I should be a reporter or writer. I never thought about that seriously, but the truth of the matter is that I have a few books on writing (haven’t spent much time reading or using them, but the intention is there) and perhaps I should take this more seriously. All this time I have been writing many ‘letters’ to her and there is nothing more enjoyable than communicating to your ‘chosen one’ while away, but I also do enjoy writing and doing these TRs. To be honest with you, this is nothing compared to what I can write, and I also have to say that being spontaneous is equally important. I wrote y’days piece in a breeze, made no corrections at all, and uploaded it right away. The energy inside me to write those things was so unstoppable. So when you have a lot to say, or a great deal to feel and describe, you don’t need a lot of time or preparation. It comes by itself.

The clock outside plays this wonderful music. It’s the top of the hour, and a sweet rhytm plays for about a minute. I think it comes from either St. Stephen’s Basilica, or from the Synagogue nearby. The rhythm is played half at the half-hour mark and at the two quarter marks only a sweet bell is heard (kling-klong). Budapest looks and feels quiet, it does not appear as vibrant as other big cities. I’m sure that people here are full of energy, but still, Hungary is a country that needs time to recover completely from the cold war era and start flourishing again. People here seem to miss one thing: opportunities. The minimum wage is pretty low from what I hear (about 250 Euros), there is poverty around (as in many other cities/countries as well), investment and development could be more, and many people are struggling while others turn to ‘mafia-style’ jobs for securing a respectable income. The flashy car, the good life, yes, everybody wants that. But when there are no opportunities around, everything comes at a hefty price.

I learned my first Hungarian word two days ago: köszönöm (thank you). Some taxi drivers and waiters at restaurants think I’m Hungarian when I say it, they look puzzled and (initially) can’t tell the difference; and she laughs, and I love that. With more time here and few more words in my vocabulary, I’ll be rock ‘n rolling. We were sitting next to a Korean couple and their two sons the other day in that Italian restaurant. I say to her “they are from the country I live in”. She was surprised, “How do you know?” Then the traditional noise started, ‘ding’ the glasses, ‘bang’ the plates, the father was talking loudly as usual, ok, yes, we’ve said that before as well, they are generally noisy. But are we not the same in Greece? Come on, N_Architect, don’t be hypocritic. Anyway, she starts laughing about this and other things I say, and it is generally noisy at that restaurant. It’s not one of the best we’ve been, but it’ll do the job and, above all, it has Italian cuisine, which we both love.

Time now for some work (see the little question that follows), we did ok y’day (in the midst of an emotionally very rough day) but still need to finish up as there are other things to be done as well this week.

Consider a large open economy like the US in which the current account balance is assumed to be zero. What will be the effects on the world real interest rate, national saving, investment and the current account balance of that economy of the following (separate) events?
        1. A decision by the government to run a substantial fiscal deficit, mainly through increased public spending, in an effort to stimulate the domestic economy.
        2. The government introduces a “Buy American” policy which, among other impacts, drives up the cost of capital equipment.
        3. A technological breakthrough substantially increases the quality of capital equipment used in a variety of industry sectors and increases the future expected earnings in those sectors.
        Answer the same questions if the events occur in a small open economy like Canada.

Pictures from my nice short walk in downtown Budapest this morning.

By the way, before I went out for my short walk this morning, I got an email: “when I finish, my way leads to you, I think around xxh.”

Lovely. Just lovely.

Next: The intellectual game; using intuition and analysis to put all the pieces of the puzzle together; being open to everything, “being in the moment”, and trying to feel the synchronicity at work in my life.
        Last edited by N_Architect; 10 February 2009, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Balance and integration

So yes, things are smoothing out in a fine way. I have to say it, as that’s quite important and it makes such a difference in one’s day. Once you take up the challenge, set the agenda on what needs to be ‘fixed’ inside you soonest possible and take up the responsibility for any mistakes you’ve made, you’re off. Just that, nothing more is needed. It’s the point which heralds the start of fundamental changes. Embrace them and make your actions speak much louder than your words. We say back at home that “the start is the half of everything”. Lao Tze said the same when he wrote “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”

I never knew how much I was losing and not enjoying when I was (for so many years) “not being in the moment.” But now I understand, and I can tell you it is as if the whole world has changed. I can’t explain it, but some things just fall into place at the right time. Some things, feelings and actions just come out with no previous thought or planning and that’s when it’s the real you. That’s when you truly see how beautiful life is. You don’t care if you’ll do this or that, you enjoy having her on your chest and combing her hair with your fingers over and over again, rubbing your hands over her back, shoulders and neck as if this will never end. She has closed her eyes, and is enjoying every bit of it. You just keep going, it comes so naturally for you, and every run from the back of her neck to her lower waist is a different one. The intensity you apply to her skin is every second different, there are unlimited runs you can make and yet, no run looks or feels to you and her the same. Told her "I want to charge your batteries for the time I’ll be away.” She smiled and nodded positively. She knows, she understands, so well. Never felt this before, never, with any girl. I am speechless.

I do have a ‘thing’ with quotations. That’s something else I’ve not told you yet, I guess. Winston Churchill said once, though, that “it is good for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.” Interesting. But they contain wisdom in such a short space, in such a small phrase, in just that short thought. This is why I like them. I have six, seven, perhaps eight books. Have not read all of them, of course.

Discussions about life, discussions about philosophy, about the world we live in. This is what came to my mind the second time we went for a coffee at Gerbeaud Café, a few days ago. I saw some people in that place, mostly my seniors (say 55-70 year olds), they seem so calm and quiet and I just felt that wonderful conversations could have been held with those people. Imagine what these people have lived, what they have gone through. Communism, cold war, liberation, all in the heart of central Europe. They have experienced the old Soviet era, when I guess many things were different here in Hungary. They now live the new reality, which is perhaps even harsher. The road to complete recovery for this country is not easy. Talking to them would be a great experience. May be it’ll happen one day.

I still remember that gentleman who invited me for a game of chess with him the other day in a middle-of-the street wooden bench. I was walking in downtown Budapest going to a newsstand shop to get some magazines. It was drizzling. I look at my side while walking, he looks at me and opens his hand inviting me to join him for a game. I refuse and carry on, but now I regret it. What a better opportunity? And I love chess, by the way. Well, I have three more days here, I’ll spot him again if he hangs around the same place. And then we’ll play, even though we may not speak the same native language.

The Palace on the left as we look over the Danube; The Marriott BUD on the right, with the IC BUD third building far down on the same side.

The city’s architecture is unique. Many buildings need urgent renovation, though. But money is short. This is a great heritage, and I hope they preserve it well. I’ve taken a few pictures, many of which I’m posting here. I may not know most of the places’ names, but I hope you do get a feel of the city. I guess historical references will have to come with my upcoming TRs on other cities, if and when I manage to do some reading before I visit any place. Upcoming in May and June we have Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro… What a TR that’ll be, right? Well, for the moment we didn’t get there yet. Let’s return back to Budapest. A city and a nation (Hungary) that I am just beginning to meet and explore and I admit that indeed feel more and more warmer and interesting as time goes by.

Next: Sunshine in Budapest; the sad reality of some gypsies’ actions in local life.
          Last edited by N_Architect; 12 February 2009, 05:19 AM. Reason: Rev. 03 - added text to a picture description

Comment

Great report! Finally had the time to sit down and read through it this afternoon! Budapest is a really beautiful city for photography!

Comment

While I'll talk about the gypsies and other stories later on today or in the coming weeks, let me just post some more pictures first.

This city reveals itself more and more to me as days go by. Now as I write these lines I am almost one and a half day away from leaving Budapest. I began to come to terms with and then slowly love this city more and more as days were going by. Of course the presence of a unbelievably beautiful soul played a great part in this, but still, this is a very beautiful place with great architecture and quiet though very intelligent and proud people.

I got two books on Hungary, and I'll be doing quite a bit of a reading during my flights back home (total five flights till I reach 'home' in Korea...) Therefore I should have a better knowledge of this nation and its people till fate or choice brings me here next time (if that ever happens, of course).

For the moment, please enjoy some more pictures I took the last two days while walking in Budapest:

Next: More pics.

Comment

More Budapest

The Le Meridien is the white building in the center, straight ahead.

Next: More pics (and words).
                Last edited by N_Architect; 12 February 2009, 04:50 PM. Reason: Replaced one picture

Comment

Words should come later, time for some more pictures. Almost 24hrs left here, had a great time, enjoyed the moment(s), got to know much more a Hungarian soul (and that's just the start, as I'll continue to lead forward and if she believes she'll follow...) and began to feel the pulse of this city, nation and its people.

More shots of Budapest:

Vörösmarty square, Budapest

Took this picture kind of secretly not for Burger King in the corner or for the architecture, but for the lady waiting in the traffic light smoking. When you walk in the streets you see many people like her, especially women. People worn out from poverty and time, wearing old style clothes, reminding you of old Soviet era times. I'll write more on this soon (hopefully).

The Danube. I began to love this beautiful and quiet city, and I loved even more this special girl that I came here to meet again after these few but hard months.

Next: Leaving Budapest; heading to Athens.
                  Last edited by N_Architect; 18 February 2009, 11:53 PM. Reason: Added long text in a photo

Comment

Very interesting read and a few things I could relate to.

Remember one particularly annoying return to a Korean provincial airport from Shanghai when the young clerk was determined not to let the only non-Korean on the flight into his hermet kingdom.

My back then Korean boss had to call his friend in the ministry of interior to shout at the immigration bloke. It worked but then the whole scene was pointless.

Btw, just considering moving back to Korea from Shanghai environs...

Comment

The day has come to leave. Breakfast down at the hotel in about 10 minutes (i.e. as soon as I finish writing this), then up in the room for a quick packing up, then call a taxi (the company she or me usually used to call for us before going out), check out, off to Ferihegy airport (and believe me, it's not easy to pronounce the word Ferihegy correctly, especially the way it ends.)

Feelings are mixed. But most of it is sadness, I'd say. I had a great stay in many ways, got to know a special girl and also myself better, learned a lot and (just) began to feel the energy and heartbeat of this city and nation. We went to a lovely and 'warm' traditional Hungarian restaurant last night located in a remote district of Budapest, tried local cuisine, it was really great. The man with the accordeon was playing traditional music. An evening I won't forget, my last one here.

The journey continues. Really don't know if I'll ever come back here or if we will ever meet again, wherever and whenever that may be. I guess I'll continue to 'be in the moment', as I am sure she will also do. I really don't know. This distance Asia-Europe is a killer (but that's not the issue, haha). What I do know is that I tried to give my best and feel proud I did; it may have not been much, but it was all I had. I may not be perfect at all, but I really followed my heart and gave it a chance. I can clearly see, however, that traditional (or old) habits and expectations may have to disappear soon - this is one of the most important things I learned, together with facing reality in relationships. It was a great trip, a unique and unexpected experience and if I manage to embrace change in the weeks and months ahead, I'll soon be a lot 'richer' and much more mature compared to how I was when I came here.

I leave Budapest with a smile, but also with the feeling I could have perhaps made an even greater (or just different) mark. But may be thinking this way has no meaning and life should simply move ahead in a new way and attitude.

Time will ultimately tell.

Next: In Athens for 28 hours. Heading to PVG (Pu Dong airport, Shanghai) via DOH (Doha,Qatar) on Qatar Airways and then to ICN (Incheon Intl Airport, Seoul) on Asiana Airlines (OZ).
                      Last edited by N_Architect; 18 February 2009, 11:54 PM. Reason: Edited text

Comment

Great report so far.

Walking through the streets of Budapest with you left me hungry...

...and no food shots!

Comment

Coping with it

I’m back 'home' (in Korea). The whole trip has just been concluded. Flights were fine, though many, and adjustment with work and study is going well. There is though a feeling of disappointment as well with what I’ve lived and experienced, but I guess now I can see more clearly that reality is different from what I originally thought. Sometimes with relationships one should not be very impulsive, and instead enjoy the moment. What will come will come, people give what they want and can, and some offer their kindness and affection gradually. Furthermore, sometimes you are given the chance to step out of your comfort zone and show others in a polite and fair but clear-cut way what is more appropriate for you, and give them time to adjust, it's not their fault if you are too critical or impulsive, it's your fault. You just can’t always expect others to read your mind or do what you want them to do, especially when they are just getting to know you. Another important thing is that others will not appreciate you when they realize you don’t respect yourself and it is your job to show this with your kind actions. Therefore, mutual adjustment is always part of the process between two people in any kind of relationship. These are some very important things I’ve learned after coming back from Budapest.

Let’s just continue with some more images from Budapest.

So that was it. I left Budapest (BUD) on a cloudy Friday morning and headed to Athens (ATH), Greece on a Malev Fokker 70.

Before we move on to the flight to ATH, let me post some shots of the hotel I stayed in Budapest, Le Meridien, a property of The Leading Hotels of The World.

Le Meridien entrance.

The street in which Le Meridien Budapest is located. About 50m further down on the left is the Hotel Kempinski Budapest.

A shot before taking the elevator down to the hotel lobby.

Next: More Le Meridien Budapest; continuing with the flight to Athens, and my stay in Athens for something more than a day.
                          Last edited by N_Architect; 17 February 2009, 09:41 PM. Reason: Changed text

Comment

In the last night I stayed in Budapest, we went to this lovely and warm traditional Hungarian restaurant, then took the girl home and kissed her good bye. Route back to the hotel was emotional, of course, but it was too early to realize the complete range of feelings and emotions. Life goes so fast, sometimes. Moments pass like split seconds, memories remain. Upon my return to the hotel, I had arranged to meet with KeithMEL, who had arrived at the Le Meridien the previous night, after a long travel day from Milan, Italy. Keith rang me just as I entered my room, and we met at around 10:30pm to go out for a drink. We went to a very nice bar just in front (on the left) of St. Stephen’s Basilica, walked there in freezing cold, and while Keith had his back from lifting wrongly a large suitcase the previous day during his Milan departure. Just before entering the bar and while approaching the church, I was trying to show (with no success…) Keith how to select the Manual mode in his Sony digital camera and take a nice long exposure. Anyway, we had a few drinks, with Keith switching from Martini to Mojito and me staying put on Jacks Coke with my Montecristo cigarillos on hand. The girl at the bar was nice but with an attitude (so not tip), Keith was trying to order his second Mojito and asked them four or five times without getting any attention, music was nice (especially after the ‘live’ band they had stopped playing). We had a great discussion with Keith, and it was a time I really enjoyed meeting and spending with him. I hope we will meet again in the future, and also with other SQTalkers as well. If you ask for a picture, Keith has one as I did not have my camera with me (as usual).

More Le Meridien Budapest:

Business suite shown here (living room). Got upgraded on check-in and was also offered a double upgrade (Executive suite) at 80 Euro extra per day, but this would also include complementary breakfast for two (however I declined the offer and chose the Business suite option at 30 Eur extra/day incl compl b'fast for two.)

Suite entrance and second rest room on the right.

Suite office desk.

Suite bedroom.

Bedroom.

Main bathroom.

I did not take any pictures of lobby or the area where buffet breakfast was available. Overall stay was very pleasant, staff were helpful and room was very nice. I would stay there again, though I would prefer something more ‘local’. I don’t really like hotels. These nice and expensive properties give you a sense of ‘protection’ from the outside world, and that’s not good. The nice hotel, the nice room, the smiling people, the nice breakfast, the nice everything, always at a price, of course. This is not reality. It is not because 10 meters across the street there was a bus stop where you could see 60 year old ladies waiting for the bus home, smoking a cigarette while freezing from the cold, wearing old clothes and with their faces being so rough from the cold and the lack of proper cosmetic care all those years. And then you think of the bloody 150ml or what serum you bought a couple of weeks ago for your nice little face from the duty free shops for something less than 400 US dollars… Which came in addition to the array of cosmetics you have and wear on a regular basis… The soul I met in Budapest was working very hard to earn a fair living and support herself and siblings, and this made me appreciate, admire and respect her a lot. It is very easy to go round and spend lavishly all the money you earn, but if you do that there will never be any real future for you. Anyway, I digress, so let’s get back on track.

Took the taxi to the airport, ‘City Taxis’, the company she always used to call. The road to Ferihegy airport was rather emotional, as I had in a sense been tied to the place and to her as well (though I should have restrained my self and be less critical and impulsive but also respect myself more and show it) after only 11 nights here. But that’s life, there’s no point in doing anything if you are not ‘being in the moment’ and sharing things with others. "The best of portion of a good man's life, his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." - William Wordsworth (1770-1850), from 'Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey [1738], l.33.

Checking in was quick, was flying Economy, N class (cheapest fare that actually gave miles as well). Ferihegy airport terminal 2A was nothing special, boarding was with 10 mins delay though quick. The flight to Athens was 1hr and 45 mins (on the leg ATH-BUD it is 2h).

Entering the Malev aircraft (Fokker 70) that would fly us to Athens.

Ready for departure.

Classic leg shot, used with permission, copyright SQflyergirl (naturally). Note the English and Italian on the tray at the back of the seat in front of me. An ex Alitalia bird, perhaps?

Next: En route to Athens, in international air space (as usual).
                            Last edited by N_Architect; 17 February 2009, 09:43 PM. Reason: Added text (first par) and edited text, changed the quotation

Comment

Leaving Ferihegy airport and Hungary

Taking off.

In the air. We have officially left Hungarian grounds.

Aircraft safety card.

Malev inflight magazine, Feb ’09.

Last glimpse of Budapest and Hungary, perhaps for a very long time or even forever.

And here during our descent as we approach Athens International Airport, “Eleftherios Venizelos”. The view of the Mediterranean Sea makes again its mark.

Next: Landing in Athens.

Comment

Arriving home

Ready to land, cabin crew please take your positions.

Someone (on this board) said he was ‘hungry’ while reading this Trip Report (TR) earlier on, as I was showing pictures I took while walking at Budapest’s center. Well, talking about food, a nice warm home-made spinach pie was waiting for me upon arrival at home. Nothing could, of course, take my mind away from all the thoughts, feelings and emotions I had from Budapest, but I did taste the pie and it was quite nice.

Home-made spinach pie just ready and warm in the oven, in traditional Greek style.

I am at home. Just came back from BUD. It's Friday evening. Tomorrow I fly back to Asia. While emptying my stuff from the luggage, that Budapest Synagogue (that was next to Le Meridien) bell suddenly rings very strongly in my ears: 'kling klong, kling, klong' - and then the music comes with it... I get alarmed, I still feel I'm 100% there, at least my mind is. Perhaps my heart as well. But I'm here now, and the Budapest experience is over.

While in Athens for 28 hours, I visited my sister’s house in order to see my nephews and niece who were kind of ill the previous night. Some shots of the route to my sister’s house, located in the north suburbs of Athens.

In Kifissia, one of the most well known northern suburbs of Athens, Greece.

Passing through the center of Kifissia.

Trapped in traffic for a few minutes, with my camera on hand, a girl wearing fairly tight jeans comes out of the shop she was working at, had my camera in hand, well you can’t resist taking a shot here, can you? I normally don't do these kind of things, but here I gave it a go.

Next: More Athens suburbs; leaving for Asia.
                                Last edited by N_Architect; 17 February 2009, 06:37 PM. Reason: Added the 'kling klong' thing

Comment

Working...
                                X