Preferred seat in Y on 777-300ER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred seat in Y on 777-300ER

Hi all - having read some of the posts here I know that many of you Frequent Flyers are not happy about the new offerings from SQ...but as someone who is about to fly with them for the first time I would like your well-travelled opions please.

I have already booked and paid for my flights on the SIA website and chosen my seats... pre the new exit row offerings. So today I had a look at what seats are still available and I see that I can change my seats on one or two legs to an exit row for an extra charge. I couldn't really see how much it would cost or any of the terms and conditions (I assume I would get this info if I was to change my selection to these seats) but I've read on a forum somewhere that the cost is approx $60 per leg (??) and that you have to be fit and healthy to be "eligible" for these seats.

My question is about what constitutes fit and healthy in this matter. My husband and I are 54 and 47 respectively - he is 6'2" and slim, I am 5'4" and wide! Neither of us is disabled in any way - but neither are we body-builders or marathon runners! Just slightly middle-aged with a few aches and pains, sore backs - just the usual!! Would we be suited to these seats or are we likely to be chucked out of them when they see us and relegated to some really crap seat way down the back??

Currently we have seats in rows 33 on board a 747 and a 777-300ER, and seats 75H and K on the A380 leg. I'm not sure about the Exit Row seats a couple of rows up in the A380 as that puts us right next to the toilet - although the ones right down the back without a window are available too?? However, the Exit Row seats on the 777-300ER look pretty good! What do you guys think? (I am also asking this question for a friend who is about to book her seats on line tomorrow - they are similar ages, level of fitness etc, but her husband is 6'4" and he is very worried about long haul in Y!!). Cheers!

If you want to know about the preferred seats rules, you can go to this thread or to SQ website here. At the bottom of the page, there are the links for FAQs and T&C. I copied part of the FAQs:

5. Who can occupy Preferred Seats?

Preferred Seats are located near the emergency exit doors and are subject to the flight safety guidelines of the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore. You may be assigned a Preferred Seat if you the following safety criteria:
    1. At least 21 years of age at the commencement of the journey.
    2. Fully able-bodied and capable of opening the exit doors and moving quickly or reaching and passing through the adjacent emergency exit. Persons with reduced mobility or any disability, whether profound or partial, and persons using portable oxygen or any other medical equipment are ineligible because they may endanger themselves or others.
    3. Able to follow the safety instructions in English.
    4. In good health at the time of check-in, boarding, and during the flight.
    5. Not carrying infants or using an infant seat belt. Not pregnant.
    6. Not under the influence of any intoxicating substance at check-in, boarding, and during the flight.
    7. Not requiring an extension seat belt because of large body size.

If you not meet any one of the above safety criteria, Singapore Airlines may re-assign the seat before or during the journey without refund of the Preferred Seat reservation fees.

Hope this will help you answering your own questions. And yes, I had seated in 31H (emex row) on 77W, and definitely will be a heaven for a 6' 4" tall person. And yes, have seen the area of emex seats upper deck on A380, they look very spacious in terms of leg room.
    Last edited by SQ LPP; 18 November 2008, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Just to confirm that you both sound like there should be no problems with you being in an emex seat.

Most people I know over 6ft tall really appreciate the extra leg room that these seats give you and for long flights I think they are well worth the money (even if I personally disagree with the policy of charging for them).

Comment

Thanks so much SQLPP and Lobster - based on the info you provided it sounds like we should be fine then.

Just wondered whether you (or anyone else) had a preference for the emex seats on the upper deck of the A380 - either those at the front of the Economy section (near the toilets - but these could be Business Class toilets and therefore partitioned off??) - or at the rear of the Upper Deck Y section..the row without a window? Cheers.

Comment

If 80 DEFG is available, take those, they won't cost you anything, even though they are effectively extra legroom seats. I would take DE rather than FG for reasons below.

If they aren't available, you could consider 81AC. I wouldn't recommend 81HK as lots of people cluster there as the rear stairwell opens up to that aisle.

Personally, I'm not too sure about 71AC HK because I believe (and i stand to be corrected) 72 DEFG are basinet seats. also would consider that there'll be quite a long way to walk if you want to get refreshments during the flight, as well as visit the washroom. (and yes the toilets near 71AC HK are Biz class toilets) but if these "issues" are fine by you, then I think they are good seats too.

For a 744 - i personally think its a good idea to pay extra to get 49BC HJ. I would avoid 49A and K as the emex chute housing juts out and takes up legspace. Although they are near a galley, i believe those are the best seats in a 744 economy cabin. If they aren't available, 61, 62 63 AC HK are good.

Comment

Here is the picture of seat 31H on 77W.

And here is the view from 31H towards the left side of the plane. You see how roomy the leg rooms are. From the window, 31A, B and C. As you can see, 31A is not a preferred seat because of the door reducing the legroom area.

Comment

Great Kelgoh - have cut and paste that info for when I look at seating availability again!

Thanks so much for photos SQLPP - just wondering...are those middle seats on row 31 what are called "bassinet" seats?? If so, would this stop you from paying extra for emex seat here?

Comment

Just an update to let you know that I did choose 31H and J but only on the leg from Paris to Singapore. I didn't worry about the 7hr flights MEL-SIN and then again SIN-MEL, nor did I change our A380 SIN-LHR seats...kept them as 75H and K as I wasn't sure about which emex seats to choose on this aircraft. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaB View Post
                  Just an update to let you know that I did choose 31H and J but only on the leg from Paris to Singapore. I didn't worry about the 7hr flights MEL-SIN and then again SIN-MEL, nor did I change our A380 SIN-LHR seats...kept them as 75H and K as I wasn't sure about which emex seats to choose on this aircraft. Thanks for your help.
                  For A380, I suggest for you to pay for the preferred seats 71AC or 71HK or 81AC or 81HK. Again, the leg room for a person 6'4" would be heaven. 75HK has the normal legroom which might be too tight for 6'4" guy.

Comment

This sounds like the ticket for me as I am about 6'2'' and really need a little more legroom in Y.

Does anyone know if you can tell if the "Preferred Seats" (emex) are taken before you actually purchase your Y ticket online.

Do the row 31 seats show on the seat map, or are Y pax only allowed to select window or aisle?

I am looking at booking SQ 2 later this year.
                    Last edited by LampStack; 26 January 2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

No, it's not possible to check this.

I've tried doing so before booking a SINBCN flight, checking to see whether there were more emex seat offerings on the same flight on two different days. Although I was still able to issue a ticket for either days, I know the flight on the later day would have a greater loading - hence, logic dictates that I go for an emptier flight.

You can always try giving reservations a call and see if they can offer you with more info on this. I tried three different operators, and their robotic response was "Sorry Sir, I cannot see whether those seats have been taken or not..."

But the earlier you book the ticket, the better the chance that you'd be able to get the emex seat you want on your flight/s.

Preferred seats can only be selected upon a successful purchase of the ticket. After payment is completed, it will allow you to make certain changes to your booking via the "My Bookings" screen, with one of these functions being the "select a seat" option.

On the seat map, you will get a showing of all the seats on the plane. Where a seat isn't previously reserved and available, it will show up in green. For available emex preferred seats, these will show up as green with a white letter "P" in the middle of the seat.

If you click on this, a dialog box will pop up notifying you of the additional cost of reserving an emex preferred seat. If you agree, the seat will be reserved for you - and after completion of the seat selection for this particular flight, payment details will then be required.

Comment

Originally posted by kras View Post
                        Preferred seats can only be selected upon a successful purchase of the ticket. After payment is completed, it will allow you to make certain changes to your booking via the "My Bookings" screen, with one of these functions being the "select a seat" option.

On the seat map, you will get a showing of all the seats on the plane. Where a seat isn't previously reserved and available, it will show up in green. For available emex preferred seats, these will show up as green with a white letter "P" in the middle of the seat.

If you click on this, a dialog box will pop up notifying you of the additional cost of reserving an emex preferred seat. If you agree, the seat will be reserved for you - and after completion of the seat selection for this particular flight, payment details will then be required.
                        Thanks a lot for the update! This is a big help.

BTW, I have no idea what the charge is for the preferred seat. Can anyone give me some idea?

Thanks.

Comment

You're very welcome, LampStack!

I believe it's around USD$50 for a preferred emex seat. I paid in AUD for my recent booking, and I believe that was AUD$75 if memory serves me correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                            [*] At least 21 years of age at the commencement of the journey.
                            [*] Okay, that is disappointing. I'm still a teen and I already need the extra legroom thanks to my height.

Comment

Working...
                            X