Attendant call button - the rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
    64 flights this year and not once did I activated the call button....
    It doesn't always work on TG...

Comment

Slightly OT: just found out today that on SQ A380s the call button alert display does not tell FAs the specific seat number - just row number and Left or Right. So they have to play a guessing game.

Comment

Do not cry wolf!

All pax calls must be attended to.

It could be a medical situation. Thats how it should be. But the pax who keeps using it ( abuse ) will become annoying even to the most patient. Regardless of the thousands that may have been paid to buy the ticket, it is not a licence to
        behave rudely.

I recall an incident on a flight between BOM-SIN on SQ. The pax experimented with all the functions of the seat, from tables, recline, screen tilt, window shades, reading lights and discovered by chance this magical button.
        Upon pressing, magically a lovely young FSS will float by and asked if he needed anything. Wow!.. magic! actually asked!

The nightmare began for the FSS who now had to serve whisky with only 1 ice cube, then called again to serve his new found friend seated across the aisle.
        More calls using the button ensued and with each call , one requested item or action: 1 postcard, next call, I cup of tea/ next call, 2 more sugar satchets/ next call, adjust the temp/ next call, 1 orange juice/next call, pillow

I am uncertain if this poor FSS is still working as a crew or worse still, has lost all faith in human character. I wont be surprised if she ever were to be a leading crew, she may well ignore all the call lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflight Sup View Post
          All pax calls must be attended to.

It could be a medical situation. Thats how it should be. But the pax who keeps using it ( abuse ) will become annoying even to the most patient. Regardless of the thousands that may have been paid to buy the ticket, it is not a licence to
          behave rudely.

I recall an incident on a flight between BOM-SIN on SQ. The pax experimented with all the functions of the seat, from tables, recline, screen tilt, window shades, reading lights and discovered by chance this magical button.
          Upon pressing, magically a lovely young FSS will float by and asked if he needed anything. Wow!.. magic! actually asked!

The nightmare began for the FSS who now had to serve whisky with only 1 ice cube, then called again to serve his new found friend seated across the aisle.
          More calls using the button ensued and with each call , one requested item or action: 1 postcard, next call, I cup of tea/ next call, 2 more sugar satchets/ next call, adjust the temp/ next call, 1 orange juice/next call, pillow

I am uncertain if this poor FSS is still working as a crew or worse still, has lost all faith in human character. I wont be surprised if she ever were to be a leading crew, she may well ignore all the call lights.
          LOL! While I do not like to generalize or stereotype ...

Comment

Deja vu???

Or do all those who start posts in the Title line come across a tad... gauche...?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              I think that makes you and (was it) jjpb3 who profess to not using the call button ever? Maybe jjpb3's an aisle lover (etc as per description above) also.
              Let's dispel that little myth then. I have used the call button, even from my aisle Y seat. And I don't, and didn't, feel bad about it. I know I don't abuse the button, I know I'm always polite and respectful towards the cabin crew, and I don't press it at peak times like during or immediately around the scheduled meal service.

Finally, I try not to label passengers who feel differently compared to me about using the call button.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, mate, must have been someone else then

Comment

Yes, a few words here is an option. Just like the call button

To respond with my view about "rules" on using the call buttons.

Using it is an option, and if excercised, the response time in the various classes
                  should be within:

First Class 15-20 secs
                  Business Class 30-45 secs
                  Economy Class 90-120 secs

Some variance should be acceptable in Business and Economy depending on loads and ratio of crew to pax. However, no allowances should be given for first class.( or Suites). If it does happen, then a verbal feedback to the crew is usually sufficient to reset the expectations.

I would suggest the feedback may sound like: " I have used the call button and no crew came to check, is there a problem with this facility?"

No doubt you will get plenty of apologies, and rightly so. I am certain all else will fall in place.

In SQ, the standards expected from the crew working in Suites or First class, is: If the pax has to activate the call button, to get attention, then the crews' performance is wanting and deserves a debriefing. It is one of the KPI.

Comment

Using it is an option, and if excercised, the response time in the various classes
                    should be within:

First Class 15-20 secs

Some variance should be acceptable in Business and Economy depending on loads and ratio of crew to pax. However, no allowances should be given for first class.( or Suites). If it does happen, then a verbal feedback to the crew is usually sufficient to reset the expectations.

I would suggest the feedback may sound like: " I have used the call button and no crew came to check, is there a problem with this facility?"

No doubt you will get plenty of apologies, and rightly so. I am certain all else will fall in place.

In SQ, the standards expected from the crew working in Suites or First class, is: If the pax has to activate the call button, to get attention, then the crews' performance is wanting and deserves a debriefing. It is one of the KPI.
                    Yes Sir/Mdm, Mr./Ms. In Flight Supervisor.....
                    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Chatting with some of my CC friends about this last night, they were in general agreement with this observation.

But they also had plenty to say about some pax who abuse the call button. One even cited a recent flight where a pax pressed the button repeatedly within the space of 10 seconds as if it was an emergency. When she rushed to the pax expecting to see something equally urgent, she was met with the pax who said that he was just "testing out the button".

should be within:

First Class 15-20 secs

Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                        Yes Sir/Mdm, Mr./Ms. In Flight Supervisor.....
                        Must confess that whilst I rarely use the call button since I am rather too familiar with the SQ routine and am usually trying my best to get to sleep, the times when I have meet with the KPIs stated - well done SIA and long may we have service standards which are aspirational!

Comment

Press the call bell if you need urgent medical attention or feeling unwell. For a drink, a tissue, a toothpick and other minor askings, please feel free to walk up to the galley and request one,unless you are wheel chair bound/handicap or you are seating in bussiness or first.The days of pressing call back in Y is extinct.It was made long time ago when flying i Y was prestigious and pax load was 30.Now there can be 400 people in cattle class.

On another note, please dont act all lost as tho you have never stepped on a plane before as soon as you spot a crew in the cabin hoping that the will start lifting all your luggage (the really heavy ones.Small ones ok). the general rule is "YOU PACK IT YOU STACK IT ". Unless you are a really aging person then we are there to help you. But again if you cant lift it then why pack so much luggage?Travel light!

also, dont start rushing to the toilet in hordes and as soon as you step on a plane and then start obstructing embarkation. Use toilets in terminal.

The list goes on........
                          happy flying everyone.!
                          Last edited by jadivindra; 11 October 2011, 07:04 AM.

Comment

I have heard from crew that the call button server in the Suites galley section is linked to the call button server in Economy Forward galley section.

In the event that an Economy pax press it first, and the crew forgot to reset it (turn it off), and then when a Suites pax press the buttons, it will be "hidden behind the Economy pax call", thus crew might be unaware.

Of course, this is totally unacceptable for suites pax.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                              I'll confess something. I've never used the call button. Ever. Not in R, not on Easyjet .

Somehow if i need someone i'll just go to where they are and ask for it. Maybe I'm too timid.
                              I have never used this magical button in any of my flights too.

However, after reading all the posts here, i kinda have second thoughts about walking up to the galley :x

Comment

Every SQ flight I've been on (always in Y ), when I've used the call button it's been answered within seconds. The crew then deactivate the light because I've been responded to. It's never been an issue and I'm always impressed with how quickly they respond.

Comment

Working...
                                X