Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Finally Finished!] Kyo Does The Land Of The Midnight Sun (aka Kyo Visits Norway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

Oslo Harbour from Askerhus - Twilight
    This is the best photo I've seen in this TR so far.. simply fantastic! I love the wide field of vision created by the panorama
    Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Hi Kyo,

Thanks for the TR. Keep it coming. As usual, I particularly like the detailed descriptions and photos of the meals. These always leave me wanting to go and try them for myself. You should consider compiling all of these into a book - a food lover's guide to world travel!

Besokssenter

I believe it means bookshop, but I could be wrong. Perhaps Resource Centre?
      My guess would be Visitors' Centre. I don't speak Viking, but I know a bit of German and Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by DinkumDave View Post
        My guess would be Visitors' Centre. I don't speak Viking, but I know a bit of German and Dutch.
        Yepp, it is "Visitor's Centre". Norwegian is not very far off from German...
        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Thanks for the updates, Kyo. Even after a year, your TR is still among the best out there.

Comment

Aulia Harun: Thanks! It's one of my favourite photos, and is actually one of a few panorama compilations I specifically was trying to capture. I have only a basic P&S and the narrow field of vision is getting more and more annoying. Hopefully I can switch to something better by this Thursday...

DinkumDave: If I ever get around to doing that (one of my buddies in Brisbane runs a self-publishing business and has just decided to go global, so funny you should say that)... you'll be one of the people I'll dedicate the book to. Thanks for the inspiration!

Pinkfloyd: Tusentagg...

sumitsan: Thanks for your high praise! I'll let you in on one of the future posts then... there's a 744 in one of the upcoming posts...

Comment

Oslo By Night

I started to make my way down the hill from which Askerhus is perched on, but not before snatching a few more shots...

Oslo City Hall - Towers over its surrounds

Allow me to indulge the photographic side of myself just a little... I decided to go back to the Opera House for a few night shots... here's what I came up with -

Oslo Sentralstajon Bicycle Racks - Ramp/Pedestrian Bridge leading to the Opera House in background

There She Is - From the top of the Ramp/Pedestrian Bridge

The 'Iceberg' - As the locals call it

Climbing up...

'Havnelageret' - The Modern vs The Historical

Stairway To Heaven - There are 'stairs' cut into the slope of the roof of the building

The Roof - Inside, pulleys and levers to lift props and sets (do note the small 'braille'-like bumps on the surface)

From The Top - The Quiet Harbour

From The Bottom - Oslo Harbour Warehouse By Night

I was absolutely frozen by this point, and adjourned back to Karls Johan for my last dinner in Norway.

Here's where I ended up...

The Egon - Local Restaurant near Hard Rock Cafe

The Menu - Did I mention that food costs heaps here?!

Oh well. I was hungry and it's either this or Maccas/Burger King (they were promoting their Angry Whopper which was starting to look tempting)...

A dinner by candlelight fit for a king was to follow... may I present the last supper -

Baked Salmon Fillet - With Broccoli, Lemon and Sour Cream

A succulent way to end the evening.

Next Instalment - The Final Hours

Comment

sumitsan: Thanks for your high praise! I'll let you in on one of the future posts then... there's a 744 in one of the upcoming posts...
                Thank you.... looking forward to it!!

Comment

The Final Hours

I got up bright and early to savour the final hours of my last day in Scandinavia. Since I'd covered mostly all the spots on my to-do list, I'd purposely left one day (okay, half a day) extra to just do as I pleased and let fate guide my path...

As my flight out was at 13:40, I figured I'd have to get to the train station at around 11:00am in order to arrive two hours early at OSL's Gardermoen Airport, which would give me (more than likely) sufficient time to have a bit of a walkabout and check out the SK lounge.

With this in mind, I decided not to venture far and wide, but again savour the experience of the simple day-to-day life of the locals. And as I'd done the previous day, it was time for another visit to the local fishmonger to make a 'special purchase' that I'd been planning ever since I'd planned on visiting Norway (more on that 'special purchase' in just a bit).

Throughout this TR, I've not yet mentioned my choice of accommodation, so I'll give you a glimpse now. Buckle up and don't expect 7-star luxury, is all I can say!

When I had begun my search for something with local 'character' (*almost* always one of my regular criterias when I visit a new country), I was rather surprised with the prices of accommodation and choices available. Furthermore, none of the regular hotel loyalty programs that I subscribed to had any properties in OSL (of note, Hilton just opened a Doubletree in the city centre which would have been rather perfect)...

So, in a split-second decision, I randomly did a few searches and booked the cheapest thing I could see that wasn't a backpacker's institution. Or so I thought...

It turned out that Otel.com was able to locate me a rate at a B&B called the 'Residence Kristinelund Bed & Breakfast'. This was actually my first time staying at a B&B, and I didn't know what to expect. I'd looked into SQflyergirl's proposal for accommodation (the Thon hotel chain), but they were far, far more expensive and just as tiny room-size wise.

The damage for 3 nights in OSL?

TOTAL PRICE : 171 EUR Taxes and service fees included in room rate. Breakfast included! Phwoar!

That must be some sort of record, surely..! The next choice I found didn't sound nearly as appealing and would've cost 242 EUR.

Done deal - I booked this:

Residence Kristinelund Bed & Breakfast - Cheap and Cheerful

Which all looks quite nice, mind you... of course, for this price, you can expect a few surprises!

There Are No Lifts - Only Staircases

Lots of Staircases - To the 4th storey

Those with vertigo need not apply. Hold up - vertigo from readers on SQTalk? What am I talking about!

You quickly realise the reason it's so cheap - they've put you in...

...The Attic - Nice sloping roof

Which has two single beds, not one big one. Oh well!

Time for my last breakfast.

I took a look at the free breakfast downstairs.

Cheese. Bread. Butter. A toaster oven...

BORING.

Back to the local fishmongers we go!

Breakfast - (Okay, maybe not quite...)

The real one's coming up...

Breakfast of Champions - MASSIVE Scallops, and a vacuum-sealed takeaway present of Norway's finest, and Imsdal to wash it down!

How To Eat A Scallop - Demonstrated in exacting detail

A Local Desert - From the deli/patisierrie next door

I rushed back to pack and head off to the airport.

My Final Souvenir - From the conker tree in the gardens of my accommodation

Now I finally know what those Enid Blyton stories I used to read growing up referred to!

My ride to the train station -

Mercedes E200 - So new, this model must have only been on the road a few weeks after launch

The fare was something like a whopping 36SGD for barely a 11 minute ride. I think the Norwegian taxi drivers might just have what it takes to beat the Narita cabbies at their own game!

Some last minute shots around the station...

The 'Blob'(s) - Some last minute shots around the station

I also spotted this wee fellow...

The Troll - Norway's Unofficial Mascot (they love trolls here, for some reason)

Next Instalment - The Journey Home Commences
                  Last edited by Kyo; 29 October 2010, 12:02 AM. Reason: Swapping pictures around!

Comment

Stayed at the Doubletree recently. They are still in their "soft launch" phase, hence no Exec rooms or lounge. And their normal rooms leave a lot to be desired. Prices now are a "steal" at about SG$200 for a single (cheap by Norwegian standards)!

With regards to the taxi fare, don't ever take one to the airport from town unless you are prepared to part with about SG$250 one way!!
                    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• The Journey Home Commences

So, let's see how the locals purchase their tickets on the Flytoget train...

Step #1 - Walk straight down this corridor to those orange booths at the far end...

A closer look reveals a straightforward ticketing machine.

Step #2 - Engage Machine!

And it's down to the platform we go!

View From Platform - Our ride pulls into the station in the distance

Our Ride For Today - Quite imposing in its own right

Not Quite A Shinkansen - But still sleek!

My Time in Oslo Is Up! - 11:35AM and we begin the long journey home

The train speeds up and within a minute or two, we're shooting through the little villages between Oslo and the airport.

It feels like just moments, but we're already at Gardermoen Airport.

A lift whisks us up to the 'Avgang' / Departures area.

'Avgang' - Departures

Those of you who've been to PEK will understand why I felt a little like I was in Beijing's T3...

Except for Wooden Roofs - It felt oddly similar...

Off to the SK counters to collect my boarding pass...

SK 'Innsjekk' - SK's Business 'Check-in' Counters

I looked outside, and had to get one last breath of clean, crisp Norwegian air...

Nothing But - Blue Skies...

Stunning stuff. That's why I came here... away from the dirt, dust and grime of SE Asia... (yes, as clean as Singapore is, I'm sure we all agree the air quality leaves one wanting sometimes)

Tower Control - Gardermoen Airport (OSL)

With that final snapshot in my mind, I walked back inside and cleared immigration.

OSL Immigration - Subtly snapped (it's to the bottom left of this pic...)

Next Instalment - Airside in OSL
                      Last edited by Kyo; 7 December 2010, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Wow that's a beautiful control tower!
                        Thanks for adding more to this already wonderful TR!
                        Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

• Airside in OSL

No front-on pictures of immigration...

The first thing you'll notice when you walk airside, is that there are two distinct wings. The left takes you to all things Domestic, and the right is for International flights.

OSL Domestic - Panning to the left

Off to the very far right, the International departure board and entrance. Once you go through, you can't go back into the Domestic side.

International - Panning to the right

I decided to wander around the Domestic side first - there wasn't much that was truly interesting, so I headed for the local snack joint, Monolitten.

Monolitten - I have no idea what it means

They had some interesting items to offer -

Norwegian Pancakes - Shaped like 4-leaf clovers

Sandwiches and Rolls - Scandinavian-flavoured, however

I decided to have a simple snack...

Lunch - Norwegian salmon on a bread roll with a Toppris Kubbe chocolate bar (delicious), with a side of lettuce and egg and a slice of lemon

Lunch was superb. I did want to save some time to explore both the SK lounge and also the International wing, so off I went...

The International Side - Curves to the right

First stop:

The FREIA Shop - "A little piece of Norway", where lots of chocolate treats abound!

The Salmon Shop - Everything from Salmon caviar to fillets for take-away...

I had no regrets buying my salmon earlier from the local fishmonger! Fresher, and less-inflated prices.

The Jams and Preserves Section - To Follow

The Small But Potent Alcohol Shop - Never to be frowned upon!

And last but not least...

Reinsdyrskav - The Reindeer Freezer

Next Instalment - SK Lounge Shenanigans!
                          Last edited by Kyo; 7 December 2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Finally - SK Lounge Shenanigans! (And Farvel Oslo!)

As amazing as buying reindeer fillets might seem, I had one item left on my agenda before departing Norway - and that was to visit SK's OSL Lounge!

It's on Level 1 - Take a lift upstairs

Turn Right - Then cross a narrow walkway

Simple really. I stepped right inside and was waved through...

Scandinavian Design - Open and airy

Pantry - That's what it looks like, anyway

I headed for the food counters, as I'm wont to do. Judging by the meagre food offerings in the lounge, however, Oslo-ites don't have much of an appetite...

Food - Ham, Feta and Grilled Capsicum

One would assume, then, that the beverage selection would make up for it.

Long the inebriating domain of Pinkfloyd, little did this unassuming lounge realise it was time for it to host Kyo+'s first serious beverage of the day...

Beer - Ringnes on tap

Just as I was about to grab a pint or three, I spotted out of the corner of my eye something that immediately redeemed the slight disappointment of the lounge offerings.

Linie Aquavit - SK OSL's redeeming grace

Yes.

Oh yes.

Bottom's up!

The Anticipation - This shot took bloody long to set up, by the way

Skol! (Cheers!) - The perfect way to end a fabulous holiday!

Boarding was about to commence, and I was curious for my first ever flight on Lufthansa, so I set off for Gate 42, where I was departing from, which was a little far off (OSL is very long...)

Gate 42 - LH3133, my first time on LH

LH3133 - OSL to FRA operated by D-AIQC 'City of Zwickau' (I normally never plane-spot, so this one's for the fans)

Fittingly, the last other plane I saw as I stepped onto the aerobridge off to my right was SK's LN-BRI (Boeing 737-405) to wish us goodbye!

My last moment on Norwegian soil - Goodbye OSL Gardemoen airport..!

..and Farvel Oslo!

You'll be missed! I'll be back one fine day hopefully!

The End
                            Last edited by Kyo; 8 December 2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Epic and entertaining. Like the Norse sagas of yore.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Ahhhhh....!!!
                                Now I can go to sleep after the full 359 days of waiting for the ending (is it ended yet? Sounds there will be a sequel of it...) of this fabulous and amazing TR....
                                Will sleep with a dream of those Norway's delicacies and magnificent views...
                                Thanks for the story, mate!
                                It's really accompanied me for almost a year....
                                Great TR...

Comment

Working...
                                X